Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

auxiliary heater in 78 Westy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: auxiliary heater in 78 Westy Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a 78 Westy that has the auxiliary heater. First, what model is this furnace? Is it an Eberspacher brand? The problem is that the fan will come on and run but the furnace never ignites. Is there a source for a trouble shooting guide that I can find? I have the Bently manual but cant find anything in it about the furnace. The fuel pump does not seem to be running so I can't tell if the glow plug is even functional. Are parts for this available any longer or will I have to do some creative modifications? This is the only thing on the bus that doesn't work and I would really like to get it going.
Thanks for any suggestions
JC
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: auxiliary heater in 78 Westy Reply with quote

At the site of Type2.com you can find a description of the BN eberspacher heater (Ness Tec), including all test-facilities.

Good luck (and txs to Caspar)

Joris
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: auxiliary heater in 78 Westy Reply with quote

What you have, essentially, is a 24 year old gas turbine under your ass. If something goes wrong it will make your Bus look like the Challenger explosion. There are people in CO, WA, and NJ that refurbish them. You can also look in the archives on Type2.com for info. These mechanisms have several back-ups and things to prevent them from going up in flames, but who knows what the previous owner did to them.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: auxiliary heater in 78 Westy Reply with quote

So maybe I should just leave well enough alone and just use the fan as a booster for the regular heat huh?
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: auxiliary heater in 78 Westy Reply with quote

No I wouldn't go that far. I bought a BA6, which is a damn good Eberspacher heater, but don't have the cash to get it professionally refurbished. But I would do as much research as possible on your model. I take it this system was OEM for your Bus. So one day go thru it piece by piece and look at everything (once you have an idea what all the parts do) and see what you find. You can test parts of it alone, like the pump, or the fan, etc. Or you could take it apart and send it to someone. Mirvus is supposed to be the best (he is in NJ) but he won't give you a quote until you send your heater to him and some say he is bad, most say he is good. Also, go to Type2.com and look in the archives under "heat" and read the "Heat, Rust, and Noise in VWs" article. That'll help you boost your stock system in the meantime... and quiet your ride.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: auxiliary heater in 78 Westy Reply with quote

Chabanais thanks for the info.

Yeah this is an OEM unit. I sent a request to Espar to see if I could get a coppy of a manual and more info. I have a fairly good understanding of how it works after reading through the type2 pages but dont know if I want to try and rebuild it myself. I may have found someone locally on the wetwesties.com site that rebuilds and services Eberspacher heaters by the name of Robert Keezer. Ever heard of him?

Thanks
JC
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: auxiliary heater in 78 Westy Reply with quote

No I haven't heard of him but I only just started looking into rebuilders. I bought my BA-6 from a guy so it didn't come OEM in my Bus, hence my hesitation about installing it without having it refurbished. Best to play it safe, and always carry a good fire extinguisher, too.

My blood always thickens around Winter, though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: