Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus won't start after trying to install radio
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bouridean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Bus won't start after trying to install radio Reply with quote

Hey y'all,

Just got myself a 78 Westy. I was trying to install a radio yesterday (unsuccessfully) and when I was done the bus wouldn't turn over. The instrument panel lights up as it should when I'm turning the key, but when I turn the key all the way to start it, nothing happens. Did I short something out? Any idea as to what? I suppose it's possible that I actually didn't do anything, because I had this problem twice in the last two days before I was messing with the radio. The first two times, I just disengaged the parking brake, let the bus move a little bit, maybe changed the gears, and tried again and it started, but maybe that was coincidence and doing all that actually didn't do anything. A push and popping the clutch does get the bus started. Is this a starter problem? But, if so, does a starter go from working 100% to 0% instantly? All the fuses in the fusebox are good.

Any suggestions (in as simple terms as possible please - I'm a newbie) would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!
David
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should probably head over to the Baywindow forum as your have a 78, but your problem is not connected with your radio install-unless you went crazy cutting wires etc??? Go under the bus and hit the starter with a hammer. you don't have to pound it hard enough to do damge just smack it a few times in various places and then try it. This would work better if you get someone to turn the key while you are doing this (note: IN NUETRAL AND THE EBRAKE ON-unless you like a tire across the chest!)

If it fires its probably the starter, sometimes the other cause to your problem is the ignition switch. Both the starter and the switch are cheap and not that hard to replace so if you think your running OG parts on both you may want to replace both of them, I just did that for a fella with a 78 recently myself Very Happy
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit Karl up. That is his expertise.

Guessing tho, sounds like you knocked off or separated the hot wire which tells the starter to wake up. Go back in and look at all the heavy red wires. Or grounds. See if you knocked something loose....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: