Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is a stock 66 bug a good bug to buy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Is a stock 66 bug a good bug to buy? Reply with quote

I have the chance to purchase a completely stock 66 bug. It has some rust in the floor pans and doors. The owner says he will give me two stock german doors that are free from rust as replacements. It has the stock 1300 engine but needs a rebuild. Susp. is good but like all the car, everything should be gone over. Do you think this is a good bug to purchase?
Any help would be most appreciated.
I have the chance to purchase a 56 oval I posted in the oval section of Samba asking the same question, a 75 convert in the appropiate section along with this 66. I am wondering what is the best bug to purchase out of this group. I plan on making one of these my daily driver and just getting it stock or close to stock and running well. which one would be the best?
Again any help would be appreciated,
elian
WagenKult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a choice between a 56 oval, a 75 vert, and a 66, I would definitely take the oval. It also depends on the shape of the vehicles. This is just my opinion....Good Luck
i_want_a_pre_49_ratbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have a 66.. never owned a beetle older than a 63 but if i could id grab an oval.. if all are similar money... im not sure of conditions of the other cars.. but oval says class to me..... im not sure i could make an oval a dialy driver.. a 66 yes. the oval id not put it out to get damaged everyday in regular commutes to job & parking lots... have been hit several times in parking lot 1 time did over $3,000 damage to my truck
the vert? well it probably is a super beetle. nice to have.. fun in the sun.. but tops need replacement occasionally... but if similar conditions overall & money.. chose the oval....
cry if it gets totalled & parts will sell for more than the 66.. but im not too sure of current vert parts pricing..
Randy
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oval.
fifty-five
Samba Crash Test Dummy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the oval and put a dual port 1600 and later tranny and you will have a great driver. Although it is a little harder to see behind you, but it is ALOT better view! It just don't get much better than a oval!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best is what you like best Very Happy

Of course, it also depends what shape these cars are on, how much the owner is asking for and whether that is a fair price or not, etc. etc. etc.

I would take the oval, given that all three cars are more or less in the same condition.
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
georgiabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihave a 66' with a 12 volt conversion, 1600 dp . It was just a shell when I bought it for 200.00. Well it's up and running now and would'nt give anything for, But thats the oldest model I could find at the time, Give me a chance to buy an oval-----You guessed it time for the wife to give me slack.
2002 F-150 supercrew
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, nothin beats top down motoring. If you live in an area where the climate can support it, consider the vert. Trust me, I've owned VWs from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Both hard tops and sunroof's and I will always have a convertible in my life.

Although everyone loves vintage cars, the oval may not be practical as a daily driver, the '66 could be a reasonable driver but the '75 with the better suspension, better ride, more luggage and passenger room, more powerfull motor [speaking to their stock form], better electrics and a relatively more economical parts replacement, the '75 might be a better buy. Granted, replacing a top can get pricey, but properly cared for, it can last you 10 years under normal use.

So don't write off the '75 so quick.

-jeffrey
cbr900racer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta do what feels right to YOU. i bought a 66 back in January and i LOVE IT! but, i would jump on an oval in decent shape (soon as my bank account recovers). my new wife mentioned couple of weeks ago that she wouldnt mind having a vert (is it any wonder i married her..LOL). i guess the question isnt "which one should you buy"...its "which one should you buy FIRST" Very Happy good luck!
Rolencoaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my stock '66, but I would trade it for an oval if it were offered. Don't think that would get me much of one though. Sad
oldskoolvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daily driver? keeping it stock? go for the 75. thinking of restoring/modifying? 66 want to impress everyone on the samba? oval
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How deep are your pockets??

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a daily driver, I think a 66 would be the best choice.

A little vintage, cheaper to restore/maintain than the oval, and it has more character than the fat chick. If it were for weekend use, I'd say the oval. If it were for your wife or your 'life partner', I'd say the Fat chick vert. But, for a daily driver, I'd go with the 66.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoval.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've resto'ed (along with many others) a 72 Convertible, 66 Hardtop and have a 57 oval. Seriously.. the cheapest car to keep going is going to be the 66 hands down. Swap it to 12v and hit the road.

BUT it all depends on the condition of each car.

www.vwrides.com, check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LordGarth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my '66 for 16 years now and one thing I can tell you. It is easer to get parts for then some of the older models, though I would love to have an oval as well. However, I would NEVER part with my '66.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: 66 bug Reply with quote

I have had my 66 bug for 27 years and love it!

The 66 has more power than the stock 56 and is simpler and cheaper
to work on than the 75 vert.

If you want a trailer queen get the oval.

For a daily driver get the 66 and do a 6-12 conversion.

Later 66s are already 12 volts

Want more power, push the 1300 to a 1600.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite popular opinion, a 6volt is just as reliable as anything else as long as it is in good condition. Granted, there is a little maintenance involved. Any 6 volt (just like any other car), needs to have clean terminals to work the best. Be sure the battery terminals, body-to-engine strap is nice and clean and all fuse terminals are clean and 6 volt will serve you just fine.

FYI, I have a '65 6-volt and a '67 12-volt. They are both GREAT cars and perform as they are supposed to. Granted, I keep up with maintenance as required...

- Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: 6-12 volt Reply with quote

My car was kept 6 volt for a very long time before I caved in and did the
conversion.

It had become difficult to find 6 volt batterys and parts.

The conversion also allowed the for use of a modern high powered sound system.

Dan
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stay away from the Super, The 66 sounds ok. IMO

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
aircooledberndoggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought and also passed on a LOT of bugs..........But the only one in my entire life i regret was not buying an oval when i had the chance.........That was many years ago and i still regret it! I love my 66 but it's no oval...............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: