Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Pop Out Door Handle Lock Cylinders?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: How to Pop Out Door Handle Lock Cylinders? Reply with quote

Anybody know? What I plan on doing is to clean up and powder-coat the handles I found in the junkyard, then I'd like to take off my old handles and pop out the cylinders to put them into the restored junkyard salvage. I can see a screw here or there, but figured that somebody out there knows the proper procedure.

Anyone have an opinion on powder-coating vs. a given sort of paint? I'd like to do a proper job on the handles.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front door handles you have to take the screw out that holds the little arm/spring that actuates the locl mech in the door and they clyinders slide right out. Whne you do this be careful not to pop any of the pins out of the cylinder, they should not go anywhere but they do just simply slip out some put them somewhere safe.

On the slider door, for some reaso I could not get the clyinder out of mine, on my last baywindow, you just stuck the key on and it would slip out of the handle (when removed from the door). The v-gon just did not want to come out, and I didn't want to mess with it so it got taped off Very Happy

As far as powder coating goes, I guess if you really want to have it done, have at it! I just prepped them real good and painted them with the same "trim' paint I used on all the black bits on tmy van.

My last "show-n-go" car (the Baja) I roughed up the chrome handles and sprayed them with a single stage black and never had a chip/scratch in the 4 plus years I had it.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: What metal are they? Reply with quote

Many thanks for the information, I hate going in blind. Anxious

What metal do you think those are? Zinc over steel? If they were aluminum, I could have 'em polished, or do it myself... If they're zinc, they'll have to be painted with very good paint. They're the first thing you see when you're getting into Winston, and they look awful, right now.

Got my extender made--FLASH! No one will sew seat belt straps these days for fear of liability! Thank a lawyer. I was sent to a tack shop with instructions NOT to tell the folk there why I wanted two strap adjuster buckles. Those worked fine, so Winston is now hospitable to my friends of large girth.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took out my lock cylinders. Bead blasted the handles. I painted them with a couple of good coats of Krylon Semi-Flat Black. Let them dry then pop them in the oven at about 200° to harden the paint.

My wife has put a moritorium on all oven paint baking. So I got a little countertop oven from the salvation army for $5 to do this trick with. The baking really hardens the paint. If you cannot bead blast the handles, then just sand them with 300 grit wet and dry to rough up the handles on all surfaces. Clean them with alcohol or white gas Colman fuel to get any wax or oil residue off.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how the powder coat goes. I have a fresh box of outdoor rated powder on my desk at work.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can powdercoat them for you, $10 plus shipping. What color are you thinking about?
www.awesomepowdercoat.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Good Website! Reply with quote

That's a nice site, you have there, and it's very clever of you to list your prices by component--put an ad up in the Vanagon Parts section and every other parts section, I think you'd do well.

I'd PREFER to have these done locally, for speed of turn-around and a chance to get something fixed if it went wrong. But it's good to know you exist, and thank you.

Best!
stymie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What metal are they? Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Many thanks for the information, I hate going in blind. Anxious

What metal do you think those are? Zinc over steel? If they were aluminum, I could have 'em polished, or do it myself... If they're zinc, they'll have to be painted with very good paint. They're the first thing you see when you're getting into Winston, and they look awful, right now.

Got my extender made--FLASH! No one will sew seat belt straps these days for fear of liability! Thank a lawyer. I was sent to a tack shop with instructions NOT to tell the folk there why I wanted two strap adjuster buckles. Those worked fine, so Winston is now hospitable to my friends of large girth.

Best!

Vanagons are underpowered enough. I would leave the fat folks at the curb. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: