Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Bus Heater fan not working Trouble shooting ??'s
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: 72 Bus Heater fan not working Trouble shooting ??'s Reply with quote

Ever since I got this bus the blower fan for heat in the engine comparment has been inop. Its getting cold so I checked it out, found the rear fuse was gone so I replaced that and nothing seems wrong in the fuse box. Still the fan makes no movement. I see that there are several relays in the wiring diagrams for the fan and I'm just wondering if there is A better way to trouble shoot this without replaceing the fan and relays. Thanks it's getting cold in portland.
shawn
ps still looking for a turn signal switch for my 72
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to turn the fan by hand to see if it is free. I would hook the pos(+) to the battery to check the fan operation. I am in vancouver WA. I use my gas heater. I am such a wimp. I must be getting old.
psteve
BluBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor might be burnt out. Mine was on my 74 Rivera I got the whole unit off eBay. I am now worried the same thing might happen because the current motor runs hot (you can burn yourself on it) Bus Depot use to sell the motor but I don't think they do any more. Anyone Know where to get these.

Test the motor by directly connecting it to the battery.
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so already, check that the wire is connected to the fan switch, which is the left, red heater lever. The fan should kick on once you pull the lever about 3/4ths of the way down.
Rich
'72 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of that stuff above plus pull that fan out and clean all of the crud out of the fan motor and blades with WD-40 or something similar.

Good electrical connections are money well spent, since it might keep you warm.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater blower relay is powered up from D+ at the voltage regulator when the engine is running. The "hot wire" for the motor comes from the starter solenoid hot terminal. It's fuse is located adjacent to the right carburetor linkage. While engine is idling, ground the brown/white wire from the relay with a jumper to any bare metal, if the fan powers up, it is a problem in the brown/white wire all the way up to the switch on the heater lever. Check for 12 vts red wire at relay all the way back through the fuse to the starter terminal. If you have 12 vts yellow/black to motor, your motor is at fault, but only after you have ascertained that it's brown wire is nicely grounded. The motor is easy to rebuild if you have the proper metal housing, I cannot speak for the cheesy plastic ones on the inferior later buses.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluBus wrote:
The motor might be burnt out. Mine was on my 74 Rivera I got the whole unit off eBay. I am now worried the same thing might happen because the current motor runs hot (you can burn yourself on it) Bus Depot use to sell the motor but I don't think they do any more. Anyone Know where to get these.
Test the motor by directly connecting it to the battery.

Take it apart and lubricate/clean it. A motor in the hand is higher quality than the cheesy stuff you're likely to find elsewhere. . . in the bush.
my metaphors never have that fresh spontaneous feeling
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluBus wrote:
Bus Depot use to sell the motor but I don't think they do any more. Anyone Know where to get these.

Bustedbus.com. Used and not cheap, but cleaned, tested and OE--not plastic. YMMV.

Oh, and I suppose if you are on the west coast, you can go to a local boneyard. To me, pick 'n pulls are mythical places, kind of like Santa's workshop or shangri-la. Around here, most parts buses have been nothing but a small pile of rust shavings for the last 20 years. Sad
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: thanks all I'm going to check it all out tomorrow Reply with quote

Sweet info, I'm going to try out the wires tomorrow that colin pointed out.
thanks for all the help
samba rocks
shawn
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: It worked Reply with quote

Its was a bad ground and fuse. Now its blowin, just need the pass side heat tube to connect the other side of the fan.
shawn
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure this is the ideal thread to post this in, but wanted to share this while I was thinking of it. I grabbed this post from some RV board discussion about VW bus heaters. The author's email address no longer worked, so this is all I know. Sounds like a good idea, though, and these fans are often available really cheap on Porsche boards from guys converting to track cars:

>I've got a 1974 bus that originally came with a small squirrel cage >blower above the engine. I removed that and installed a auxillary heater >blower out of a 1990 model C-2 Porsche. Mounted it on the left side of >the engine compartment with a specially made bracket that attached to >the original mounting points on the blower. This blower is like a leaf >blower and will provide LOTS of hot air, after the engine is warmed up, >onto the front windshield even when sitting at a light at idle.

FWIW.
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: