Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enkiel wrote:
sorry, the shipping bullshit was aimed at mister "cut everything on sight/People trying to save bus are cheap ass" Lind

enkiel - my comments are just for calling bullshit on people like you who whine about buses getting cut up, but don't have what it takes to save them. I get really tired of people who can't back up what they are saying with a little action.

if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then I will see you at ECMSAS and add to the pot by buying you lunch in addition to the gas that UZI buys you. until then, I just think that you are a blowhard kid who doesn't drive a bus. sure, they look cool, but looking at pictures of them on the internet and talking about them is not what it takes to be a bus driver. that is something that you can only experience by driving your bus......
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then.....

Damn it's like $2.85 for regular here....UZI what shows are you proposing?... Very Happy

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:
Dood, there's a thread custom tailor'd for whining, this ain't it. This is where I try to give a little back, capiche? You should try it, giving something back that is. As a community, we're only as good as our weakest link on any given day.

Diesel,

I have enjoyed all your posts and advice. Michigan isn't the east but close enough...

Keep 'em coming!

Lind,

From the pictures you have sent me, you are doing plenty for this community. I found another bug I want to send pics over to you, rag top, early 60's.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMonster wrote:
Lind wrote:
if you ever actually drive a bus, and you take the UZI sponsored "doveblue3 challenge" (if you drive it to the show, he pays the gas) then.....
Damn it's like $2.85 for regular here....UZI what shows are you proposing?... Very Happy

unfortunately that deal is only available to certain people who have previously shown no particular abilities to drive their cars to shows. I tried to get the same deal out of UZI, but he wouldn't go for it, because he knows full well that I will drive a bus across the country to his place like I have done the last two summers running. UZI will have less than $100 into the challenge if enkiel makes it, but I sure wouldn't take a bet on whether enkiel shows up with the gas reciepts in hand. there is a reason that the challenge is a safe bet, these people hardly ever actually make it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang... Laughing ...( yeah my tab would be in the $400-$500 range for a show back east ...one way )

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this gas thing was coming....they say it is going up even more Shocked I went 170 miles on 6 gallons of fuel with a nasty headwind......36hp is for me this year Very Happy
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59standard mango wrote:
I knew this gas thing was coming....they say it is going up even more Shocked I went 170 miles on 6 gallons of fuel with a nasty headwind......36hp is for me this year Very Happy

170 miles at 45mph in the wind?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 to 55 mph ......35 to 45 up the steep hills... Very Happy .....I have had a fast bus or should I say a faster bus in the past but i'm in no hurry as there is lots to look at with 23 windows Razz
camperfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard today that 3 bucks a gallon for gas this summer, 5 dollar per G is in our futures as well. My 1500 gets 20 mpg out on the road. that equates to about 12c a mile just for fuel alone to drive my bus
Bryan S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMonster wrote:
Dang... Laughing ...( yeah my tab would be in the $400-$500 range for a show back east ...one way )

$400.00 I herd you found that white single cab, too bad Chris didn't get it as I'm sure Roudtree damn near gave it away Rolling Eyes
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
KombiMonster wrote:
Lind wrote:

unfortunately that deal is only available to certain people who have previously shown no particular abilities to drive their cars to shows. I tried to get the same deal out of UZI, but he wouldn't go for it, because he knows full well that I will drive a bus across the country to his place like I have done the last two summers running. UZI will have less than $100 into the challenge if enkiel makes it, but I sure wouldn't take a bet on whether enkiel shows up with the gas reciepts in hand. there is a reason that the challenge is a safe bet, these people hardly ever actually make it.

dang- can i get that challange... Cool i'm a pretty safe bet.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still aiming to make it... even if i have to drive half the trip without any brakes, 4th gear or without any working light on the bus, i'll make it.

The only thing between making it and not making it, is the inspection to get it road legal.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

59standard mango wrote:
Looks savable to me...reminds me of this tow yard outside of Arizona that had a green and green sitting just like this one....it was right off the main highway....cool find Razz

Can you point me in any other directions for my next trip through there? I'll make it worth your time! Laughing
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to get out my road trip maps as I made a few trips back to the mid west for old buses/parts and jotted down numpers and places I found goodies along the way......first trip to Kansas for my 1958 23 window/Parts.....second trip to Colorado to buy a 21 window that turned out to be a fake and the guy stripped the parts off before I got there and offered them to me for more money... and all of the vin numbers were cut off the bus, he said he did not know about that but had other Vw's around his house??? Busracer knows of that Clown in Colorado....and a trip to Texas for a 2nd owner Pearl White/ Mouse Grey Samba....I will see what I can dig up for you....talk soon !
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
KombiMonster wrote:
Lind wrote:

I can think of a certain long time mass split bus collector who might be eligible for the doveblue challenge...

And Diesel, I look forward to seeing pix of my clips. Many of us appreciate the opportunity to score some fairly rust free, good OG German metal instead of dealing with crappy repro stuff. Keep up the good work! Not every bus should be saved.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enkiel wrote:
I'm still aiming to make it... even if i have to drive half the trip without any brakes, 4th gear or without any working light on the bus, i'll make it.

The only thing between making it and not making it, is the inspection to get it road legal.

I am sure you will need to pass tech inspection for the bet.

I do not drive my truck all the time but it will get me lots of places. Last year when I HAD a new Jetta with issues I told the VWoA customer service director that the most reliable car in my driveway was a 46 year old VW and not the 1.5 year old one, he was not pleased.

I think enkiel lives in the part of Canada that hates the rest of Canada. Damn Quebecois.
Bongo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whining about 3 bucks a gallon, you guys crack me up! Laughing I'm paying around 7½ US for a gallon! Still now that Iraq is part of the US, shouldn't you be getting some ceaper oil soon? Wink
Captoaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongo wrote:
Whining about 3 bucks a gallon, you guys crack me up! Laughing I'm paying around 7½ US for a gallon! Still now that Iraq is part of the US, shouldn't you be getting some ceaper oil soon? Wink

After we get our cheap oil I hope we go after some Swedish or Danish Blondes! Hardly any of our are real blondes anymore! And most are not OG with silicone and bondo! See ya soon?
Rob
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a while back I mentioned a guy leaving a note for a '55 singlecab on my pickup. Finally tracked him down today - appears to be a '59 although he now says it's a '58.

Most of the treasure chest floor is gone, both inner and outer rockers are gone, both bumpers are gone. Bus appears to be mostly complete otherwise. Non-running - comes w/ 36hp and (supposedly running) 1500. Gates have some rust, not bad though. Missing one hinge.

Didn't see the engine lid, buried under too much stuff. He didn't remember seeing a brakelight though.

Missing tail lights as well.

Has - radio delete plate and all other interior pieces. All glass minus one windshield is good. Has all three gates, didn't see condition of rear as it was under a bunch of stuff, but could see it was there.

Was originally dove blue, light push in nose. One rear corner has a good ding (or a minor dent - whichever you prefer).

His asking price is $800, w/ the running engine. I can probably get pics in a couple of weeks. It has a title. Frame appears OK.

Too far gone to be much of a resto candidate, but probably would make a good beater work truck for someone. PM me for the details.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a '67 Hardtop Deluxe today near my house.

Only drawback - it's been home-converted to a Single Cab. Unfinished and really nasty. Incomplete engine. Busted dash clock. No front seat or much else of anything.

It wasn't really for sale as it was a long-term project but if someone is desperate... I will give you the cross-streets.

He said he thought it was a real VW Single Cab when he bought it. LOL.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 990

Jump to: