Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you determine value?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: How do you determine value? Reply with quote

Without resorting to Ebay.
Anyway...any thoughts? I check the classifieds for bus values but they're all over the board. Some decent busses for $3k, and some crappy ones for $5k.
Getting closer to perfect if you have $6k-9K.
I've found a couple other projects I'd love to mess with, I just need to figure out if the Dormo' needs to go- which depends on what its worth.
What do you guys think would be an okay deal for this thing?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Bub on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice. If it was mine, I wouldn't part with it for less than $6K. But that may be too cheap in some parts of the country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miguelsanchez566
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw man i really love your bus.....but alas you are all the way in washington and well i'm cheap. but best of luck!
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howiesfamily wrote:
Looks very nice. If it was mine, I wouldn't part with it for less than $6K. But that may be too cheap in some parts of the country.

six grand is just what I was about to say. detail shots of the engine may get you more.
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
howiesfamily wrote:

six grand is just what I was about to say. detail shots of the engine may get you more.

a pic of the elusive pawesty has been known to boost bus value as well.

ps: i love that bus!

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Phyllis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the outside and not really knowing the mechanics, I would say 5 grand. The engine however looks really clean. It all depends on the condition of everything- rust, servic, brakes, transmission, engine, upholstery. Go to Ratwell's site. He has a listing of what can increase your value and what might drop the value.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BuyingGuide.html
jerseyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howiesfamily wrote:

Over here on the east coast I'd say that would probably go for no less than 10k.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine:Rebuilt 2.0L 914 engine, 120 Hp. Runs perfect. 6k miles.
Trans: Original, excellent.
Brakes: Mostly New, excellent
Interior: redone...still rough around the edges in some places.
Gas heater works awesome.
New seals mostly all around.
Almost ZERO rust- just some surface rust.
And all the usual improvements: Drop spindles, fuel lines, straightened out wiring, alignment, tires, H4 lighting...etc etc...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy wrote:
howiesfamily wrote:

Over here on the east coast I'd say that would probably go for no less than 10k.

I'd post it for sale on the east coast then pay to have it shipped if you can get that much more for it out there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dead 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value depends on what one is willing to pay. If your in the rest belt area of the US then the value goes up. If your in So Cal or Oregon then a bus like this is a dime a dozen.

"The American Dream - true enough because you gotta be asleep to believe it"
Bucky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy wrote:
howiesfamily wrote:

I think $10K on the East Coast might be a bit high for that. It looks straight and clean, but I wouldn't expect to pay more than maybe $6500-7000K. My idea of a $10K baywindow is pretty much near perfect. A nice bus, nonetheless, that I would be happy to own.

"Got a lot to carry? Get a box."
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would base my purchase price on how it drove. That lovely engine would feel like a waste to me, 4,000 rpm at 65 mph with a stock 002 transmission. NO WAY PAL, you should be doing a late model bus or better 75 mph at least.
With the quality engine and wheels you have, a decent little paint job would more than help you get a better price. Your bus cries imbalance here, like you lost your will, or it doesn't drive right, or *something* that explains why this beautiful engine and wheels comes with an exterior that was touched up with fingernail polish.
Colin
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's worth what you're comfortable giving for it. I paid $3000 for mine 10 years ago and people said I paid too much. I felt like it was a fair price, so I did it. If you want it and have the cash, do it.

Drink more beer, too.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking at maximizing your return (or more likely minimizing your losses), I'd suggest pulling out that engine and putting in a stock type 1, then sell the engine separately or put it in another vehicle. You'd probably get about the same price for the van, and still have the engine.

I see a DTM there, and I recall reading some of your posts regardng the adventure of installing that engine. I can't recall, is it a RAT-built, or RAT-inspired? Either way, you are unlikely to find anyone outside of the Samba community who will appreciate the engine for the work of craft that it is.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice bus.

The engine, a clean straight body and the redone interior would do it for me on any bus. 6k seems high but fair and I'd maybe pay that for your bus if I was shopping around.

Unless you really need the cash I'd just try to hold onto it. I think Amskeptic is right that with a new paint job and some cleaning up it could go for alot more, but since its yours why not just keep it man.

I want my bus to be like yours when it grows up Smile
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points. Kind of what I was looking for. As much as I know "VW"'s in general, I'm not a giant bay window fanatic. I love most of them for various reasons, but I wanted to see what the mainstream fans thought added value to a bay window.
I am NOT the kind of person who enjoys a car with super nice paint. Rust is my enemy, and I hate body damage, but a little use, some scratches and some patina really do it for me. I never look twice at a car with
'perfect paint'.
I'm thinking an nice coat of paint on the bumpers, I have a pair of riviera windows (50/50 sliders) some fog lights...etc.
I may rub out the paint a little and touch up the rusty spot by the drivers door. I may even clean and paint the stock wheels, and see how those look.
Annnd...what If I had a 6-rib trans to go in it? I may be picking one up this weekend.
We'll see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: