Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new solex dual carbs... are the 35mm any good ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: new solex dual carbs... are the 35mm any good ? Reply with quote

i have had good luck with the brazilian solex 32/34 carbs sold by gene berg , but CIP1 sells the 35mm duals at half the price. is berg just way expensive or are the 35s just not as good ? has anyone actually purchased some and found them to be good? are they made in brazil? has anyone heard any badmouthing of the 35s?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only badmouthing about them is the way that Scat sets up the kits. Buy them from anyone OTHER THAN Aircooled.net, and then TRY to install them on an OEM shrouded engine. You'll be PISSED.

I have a set on my engine now, in my bus.. after installing and tweaking, they're great. Smooth and reliable.

If you have a regular aftermarket 36 HP style shroud, you may not have much problem, except that the left linkage rod may foul on the shroud.

John now corrects linkage clearances, provides better instructions, and takes care of issues related to fitment that you might experience with different fan shrouds, and JETS them for you. He does all the things that Scat and other resellers do NOT do.

I have an article I am finishing up regarding their installation.
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mharney - I've seen your avatar everywhere here in the forums, and I just have to ask... what the hell is that thing ?
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll give you a hint. It's part of an IDF carburetor. Well all except for that big chunk of CRAP in the middle of it.
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh.......... thanks, I can sleep tonight! Smile
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think my little article is about ready. Here you can view it:

http://waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/35pdsit/35pdsit.htm

Enjoy.
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clogged idle jet from a IDF Weber I say it is a 55 with a piece of crab in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steel buggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used about 30 set of the Scat 35mm carbs they work great of course once they are adjusted and jetted easy to work with and make good power on small displacment engine's. Here is a picture of the piece I use to help with the problem on the left carb keeps the linkage away from the shroud. There was some internal problem in the carbs I called up team Scat and let them in on it seem like they finally fixed the problem but still not the linkage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the picture Mharney
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: