Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Ghia bumpers
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Has anybody purchased stainless ghia bumpers? A company has a set on ebay.They are polished stainless steel. The price is around $1,048 usd-the auction price listed is in pounds. I emailed them a price shipped in usd. The company has a site www.harringtongroup.biz Check out their miniature cars under harrington junior. They have a mini mercedes 300sl prototype. It looks like they have put a lot of effort into it so maybe they did the same on their bumpers? When you figure paying $100-200 each for dented and rusty bumpers then pay a fortune to rechrome them it makes these stainless ones look like a deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure look good. They appear to only come in the mid 60's style though, with the over-riders that bend around the corners. I would want to know if they were taken from an early mould or a later one. Some else can tell us, (I think it is 67), when the fender opening changed, and the two side pieces of the bumper got longer....so they may or may not fit your application.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting website. VW Heritage in the UK sells them and that's a good sign, but I wonder if they are making the early rear or the later one?

Looks like about a draw at that price whether it is cheaper to fix and re-pplate an original or go with theirs on Ghias, but it's interesting to see them making slash bumpers for buses.

If you get one report back on how it looks and fits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said the bumpers were made for ghias through 66. You can get them with towel bars or euro style-same price. I figured the euros would be cheaper since less materials.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they 1 piece or three like the originals?
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent bumper parts to them last december to use for templates.
I sent them parts to build all the different rear bumper applications.

I'm sure they will be making the 67-69 rears and the 70-71 rears sometime soon.

I have a set coming over to test fit. As far as I know, these bumpers have not been test fit on any ghia.

It was my understanding I would get a set to fit before they started selling them, but what the hey.

They did send some pics which looked pretty good. I can't wait to get a set to try out.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:

Should be made just like originals.

Mike.....the euros are not really euros. Look closely, they are using the same overriders, just no bars. They are not making the small Euro bumper guards. I'm going to sent them a pair to make though.

The nice thing about the stainless is it wont rust and they can be repolished if they get bumped.

I'm working with them directly and if there's interest I could gather a large order and possibly save on some shipping costs.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HouseofGhia wrote:
70 140 wrote:

Should be made just like originals.

Mike.....the euros are not really euros. Look closely, they are using the same overriders, just no bars. They are not making the small Euro bumper guards. I'm going to sent them a pair to make though.

The nice thing about the stainless is it wont rust and they can be repolished if they get bumped.

I'm working with them directly and if there's interest I could gather a large order and possibly save on some shipping costs.

Mike

Stainless does rust. Some stainless will rust quicker than "regular" steel. It is a common misconception that stainless steel will not rust.
jbar1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a "horses mouth" primer on stainless steel, I recommend going to the following site:

http://www.ssina.com/publications/primer.html

The grade of stainless will determine the resistance to rust and yes they do make stainless steel that does not rust.

1970 Ghia
1976 Porsche 912E
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: stainless bumpers Reply with quote

they may be cost prohibitive for many but repair would be easier. if you have dents and dings the stainless is more ductable and can be reshaped and polished back to original gloss. if you reshape chromed steel the integrity of the chrome is usually violated and rusting begins.

the amount of nickel in stainless determins it's resistance. good stainless does not rust. many think that rust that forms on good stainless originates there but it is usually from non stainless having left metal from being bolted to or scraping against the good stuff. if you use steel wool to polish stainless then you are coating the surface with a film of carbon steel that will make your stainless tarnish. if it happens to you get a product called ironout or ridiron and make up a solution. takes it right off. be sure to rinse the sollution off well.

looking forward to reports on the stainless bumpers.. ain't if fun??
Mase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to check in on these bumpers again. Mike... any word? Did you get your set yet? Please let us know your initial impressions.

Many thanks,
'74 T14 Ghia Cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe comfort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House of Ghia. Mike, have you received the stainless KG bumpers yet?
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't,
I'm sending a set of Euro guards over this week so they can make a mold.
I'm having them sent back with my order. A safe estimate is about 1 month from now I should have a set in hand.
I'll have a set for 56-66 and one set for 67-69.
You folks will be the first to hear how they look, fit, and feel.

Mike
westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they shipping them from the UK or from Vietnam?

$1150 USD for both front/rear is expensive, but once you get over sticker shock - it might be almost cheaper than doing it yourself.
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be shipping them to me from vietnam. The company is based out of UK...they are manufactured in Vietnam.

$1150 for a set is cheaper than having originals chromed.
Last time I checked it's about $600-$700 to have a bumper chromed, maybe more if you want show quality, and that's if there isn't any metal work.
DaddyGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: 70 - 73 modifications Reply with quote

Mike (HoG):

The website for these bumpers says that for 70-73 applications, the mount has to be modified. If you get a chance to check this out, let us know how much modification is required.

btw - I'd like to buy a set from you as soon as they are available. I have priced out the rechroming of mine versus buying these and its tough not to buy the stainless. ( in California... its $400 to $550 per bumper for rechroming, and I'm told you get what you pay for... meaning the less expensive, the cheaper the chrome job)
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 - 73 modifications Reply with quote

DaddyGo wrote:
Mike (HoG):

The website for these bumpers says that for 70-73 applications, the mount has to be modified. If you get a chance to check this out, let us know how much modification is required.

Send me the url for this info on their site..... I couldn't find it. At any rate, they are off. First of all the 70-73 applications do not make sense. Secondly, I can't think of any modifications that would work to get the early bumpers looking good on a late ghia. But send me the url so I can check out what they are saying about these mods.

Quote:
btw - I'd like to buy a set from you as soon as they are available. I have priced out the rechroming of mine versus buying these and its tough not to buy the stainless. ( in California... its $400 to $550 per bumper for rechroming, and I'm told you get what you pay for... meaning the less expensive, the cheaper the chrome job)

After I get the sets I've ordered I'll post here. Once I test fit and check quality I'll take orders.

Mike

Westcoast-paul,

I should be able to do a group discount on pre-paid orders
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpers arrived. I have a rear 67-69 bumper partially together. Ummm.....quality is fair, some good points some not so good. Anyway, I still have more QA to do. I'll try and get it done this weekend and submit a report to the group.

Just wanted to let the group know that bumpers have arrived.

Mike
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics ? I need a front.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westcoast-paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(watching this thread)

I'm surprised the Q is fair for the price they are going for on ebay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 42

Jump to: