Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas prices where you are
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sickbug19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled up a few days ago in Huntington Beach, CA, it was at 3.29 a gallon for 91 octane , I did not even bother to look to see what it is today, Confused
timp
Samba Amish Rep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw $2.89 last night for regular.
Tere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2.99 for regular here in Albuquerque, NM. I call price gouging!
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
Richard C Duncan Jr wrote:
Gas price here in Sac Ca for ARCO which is usually the cheapest is $2.82. I saw a podunk station a block from my house that had the cheapest at $3.09.

I received an email from someone at work that said, the only way the consumer/people are going to be able to keep gas prices down is to boycot one gas company at a time. The suggestion is to start with EXXON-MOBIL. If we as a nation/world stop buying from this gas company they will have to drop their price to sell off their gas reserves, kinda of like a price war between the big gas companys. Once this works with this gas company we hit the other ones. I already don't ever buy from EXXON-MOBIL so it is easy for me. Just a thought about our current gas goughing that is going on.

Rich aka [email protected]

Um, if you boycott all of the gas companies, where will you purchase gasoline Rolling Eyes

Those gas-out e-mails are stupid. If you don't buy gas today, you will some other day.

I am not suggesting we stop buying gas altogether. Read my message. One gas company at a time.
I like driving my 67 bus way too much. We need to boycot the gas companys one at a time. I don't think it is stupid. It is stupid for the consumer to continue to let the gas giants screw us by jacking up the price of gas just before the summer driving season and then not do anything about. If you don't want to participate then don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blarneyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXXON has the highest profit margine per quarter then any other gas company. Start with them! Twisted Evil
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
Gas price here in Sac Ca for ARCO which is usually the cheapest is $2.82. I saw a podunk station a block from my house that had the cheapest at $3.09.

I received an email from someone at work that said, the only way the consumer/people are going to be able to keep gas prices down is to boycot one gas company at a time. The suggestion is to start with EXXON-MOBIL. If we as a nation/world stop buying from this gas company they will have to drop their price to sell off their gas reserves, kinda of like a price war between the big gas companys. Once this works with this gas company we hit the other ones. I already don't ever buy from EXXON-MOBIL so it is easy for me. Just a thought about our current gas goughing that is going on.

Um, if you boycott all of the gas companies, where will you purchase gasoline Rolling Eyes

Those gas-out e-mails are stupid. If you don't buy gas today, you will some other day.

I am not suggesting we stop buying gas altogether. Read my message. One gas company at a time.
I like driving my 67 bus way too much. We need to boycot the gas companys one at a time. I don't think it is stupid. It is stupid for the consumer to continue to let the gas giants screw us by jacking up the price of gas just before the summer driving season and then not do anything about. If you don't want to participate then don't.

Seriously -- These gas boycotts are a joke. Did you for one minutes stop and think that China and India are using almost as much oil as we are? Brazil is now self-sufficient, and we cannot drill in our own backyard (I'm not talking ANWAR either). The EPA mandates the US needs 12-odd blends of juice, and the limited refineries we have can't keep up.

I live in reality. How about you?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tipping about $3.10 in San Jose! Razz

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
Icy wrote:

Seriously -- These gas boycotts are a joke. Did you for one minutes stop and think that China and India are using almost as much oil as we are? Brazil is now self-sufficient, and we cannot drill in our own backyard (I'm not talking ANWAR either). The EPA mandates the US needs 12-odd blends of juice, and the limited refineries we have can't keep up.

Come on Icy. If we stop buying from Exxon/Mobile for 20 years, we just might force them out of business. Then we can go to Chevron or BP.

FU#3
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blarneyman wrote:
EXXON has the highest profit margine per quarter then any other gas company. Start with them! Twisted Evil

It would seem the ICY thinks this is stupid and NOTCHBACK thinks it will take 20 years to put this gas company out of buisness.
If they both can read my suggestion was not to put them out of buisness but to bring their gas prices down by not buying gas from them.
Maybe they should just lay there and take it from these giants and keep on paying 3 plus dollars a gallon for a product that is over priced.
If we do nothing, how will you ever know if you could have made a difference. Wouldn't it feel good to know that if you do participate and slow them down, you may have changed the course of the way buisnesses price their products.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to buy Exxon because what they did in Alaska. I have to buy gas.......but I won't buy it from them. Wink
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blarneyman wrote:

It would seem the ICY thinks this is stupid and NOTCHBACK thinks it will take 20 years to put this gas company out of buisness.
If they both can read my suggestion was not to put them out of buisness but to bring their gas prices down by not buying gas from them.
Maybe they should just lay there and take it from these giants and keep on paying 3 plus dollars a gallon for a product that is over priced.
If we do nothing, how will you ever know if you could have made a difference. Wouldn't it feel good to know that if you do participate and slow them down, you may have changed the course of the way buisnesses price their products.

You're nuttier than a Christmas Fruitcake.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blarneyman wrote:

Your weak minded idealism will not work:
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/exxon.html
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
Now go save the earth in some other manner. The ONLY way to bring down the price of gas is to buy less. Companies buy from and sell to each other. If everyone reduced comsumption by 5%, not only would you immediately save 5%, but you would also help bring down prices. I'm selling my wife's Crown Vic. Last week on a 600 mile trip it averaged 21.3 MPG. She's going to start driving an old 4 cyl. Ford Taurus MT-5. It gets about 30 MPG. Without driving any less, that's an almost 30% reduction in fuel. After the Vic sells, I'll fix my other Taurus MT-5 (needs a clutch) and start driving it. I'll go from a 16MPG Aerostar to a 30MPG station wagon. I'll keep the van for other things, but will only drive it once a week or so. If you want to save money, downsize and drive less.

FU#3
71VOTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're having an 85¢ sale at a gas station here to promote e85. I predict a lot of cars running like shit because they didn't check the fine print before hand.
engineerscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: gas Reply with quote

Icy wrote:

You are right about China and India. China is seeing double digit year over year increases in the amount of crude they are using and most of it is imported. China is basically in the process of changing from a 3rd world country to a 1st world country (I guess that would put them at about 2nd world right now). When a country of over 1 Billion starts to consume oil at similar rates to the U.S. on per citizen basis look out. It really is supply and demand and the demand side of the equation is moving up rapidly with a much smaller increase in supply.

You are also right about the refinery situation. We haven't built a new refinery since the 1970's (though we have of course upgraded existing refineries). U.S. refineries are running at about 98% of capacity, so it doesn't take much of a hiccup to cause a spike (and managing change over from winter blends to summer blends can cause just such a hiccup). It's funny how no one wants a refinery or oil rig within their sight but everyone expects cheap gas when they go for a fillup.

On top of all of this is uncertainty over the Iran nuke situation and what may happen there which has caused oil futures to spike heavily. Personally I don't think Iran can afford to hold back their production from the market should the U.S. or Israel make a military strike but uncertainty always breeds higher prices.

I suspect that within a year or two we will see some new production come online (though sadly not in ANWR) and when people sell their Hummers and Suburbans for something smaller the domestic demand side may get adjusted down. For the time being though I think we are just going to have to suck it up and pay the price and probably cut down on unnecessary trips.
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you figured out what the TOTAL tax
you are buying on a gallon?
It will suprise you
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Pyrorocketeer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started working for an oil company as a mechanic part time before I start back to school in the summer, and I was shocked when I heard half the businesses that sell gas around here are actually loosing money on every gallon they sell. I don't see how they can do it....sell for 10 cents less than what they buy it for. I think half the truckstops and such make all their profits of of diesel, so they can afford to "give" gas away
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyrorocketeer wrote:
Started working for an oil company as a mechanic part time before I start back to school in the summer, and I was shocked when I heard half the businesses that sell gas around here are actually loosing money on every gallon they sell. I don't see how they can do it....sell for 10 cents less than what they buy it for. I think half the truckstops and such make all their profits of of diesel, so they can afford to "give" gas away

They try to recoupe the money on the convenience store part of the business.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook wrote:
Have any of you figured out what the TOTAL tax
you are buying on a gallon?
It will suprise you
Not as much as most tax extremists would have people believe. The Federal gas tax is 18.4¢ per gallon. State taxes vary from a low of 7.5¢ per gallon in Georgia up to 31.9¢ per gallon in New York. There are at leaset two states (Kentucky and Nebraska) that have a variable rate, based on the fuel cost, so it's a higher amount right now. On top of that, some states make you pay sales tax on gas purchases, and in effect, tax a tax. Here's a chart of all the states, so you can see what you are paying:
http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

FU#3
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices here are just too forkin high... Evil or Very Mad

but I ain't gonna stop driving! Razz

Just this past weekend we were camping at the desert and of course, off roading with the jeep AND Kermit!!! Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two dollars and ninety five cents in Winslow Arizona.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 199

Jump to: