Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cruise control troubleshooting?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: cruise control troubleshooting? Reply with quote

This friggin' cruise is driving me nutz! It has never worked since I got it so I wasn't even gonna play with it BUT.... It all started when I blew the auto tranny, I was actually laying over the front seat pushing the acc pedal with my hand for some unkown reason and spotted the brake cutout switch for the cruise. I noticed it was missing the little rubber bumper on the stopper so it was always disengaged. Could it be that easy Very Happy , hell no Sad I eagarly awaited driving the westy again as soon as I go the replacement tranny in, only to find out it the cruise was still a no-go Sad so just the other day I peeked under the van and noticed that the vacuum hose that runs upfront was pulled apart at a junction near the tranny (from us when we put the new tranny in). Woo-hoo! thats gotta be the prob Very Happy Hell no Sad So tonight I was just checing thing over as I am going camping tommorow and I played with the vacuum pump area I was easily able to bring the idle up and hold it by just sucking on the hose (insert jokes here).

So them I manually tested the vacuum pump and it does work allthough I don't know if its working correctly. One wire has + to it with key on, The other 2 are open. from here I assume that nothing is going to funtion without something telling it hold which can't be done until the speedo is sensing correct??

Anyway I tested the pump and I can get it to run vacuum and also pull the throttle so that takes that out of the mix.

So from here I need to trouble shoot up front, where do I start??? How do I do it?? Is there a way to first test the speedo sensor and and maybe bypass it as its not easy doing all this in motion Shocked
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, mdetro, I guess you're ahead of me on this problem!

My unit will not work when the vehicle is cold, but does work fine when warmed up.

Asking my VW mechanic, he tells me that the most common problem is in the stalk switch on the steering column.

sorry no further help Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WOLFBURGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: cruise control Reply with quote

there is full diagnostic information online at Alldata for vanagon cruise controls. I haven't used it yet but it look thorough. I got it at the local library.

Now I've used the diagnostics successfully. Most of it can be done by testing the connector at the contoller behind the glovebox.(89GL)( For some reason the instructions say it's behind the instuments)

Last edited by WOLFBURGER on Thu May 25, 2006 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This si info for installing a new cruise control, it may shead some light on what your trying to figure out, hope it helps.
http://www.the12volt.com/cruises/cruises.asp
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you found evidence of primate tampering, I would also check the VSS. It is on the back of the speedo head, it is a small white rectangle with two prongs coming out. There should be a two prong plug which mates to it, no polarity issues.

The VSS puts out 6420 pulses per mile (don't ask how I found out).

Cheers,
James
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supplicationjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check the rubber O ring on the brake cutoff switch. It might be losing vacuum since they do wear out after a couple of decades. Surprised Pull that unit and take the plunger apart and replace the o ring
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the stalk on the column. Mine has been erratic too. If I work the on/off switch back and forth a few times it works fo awhile. Seems that the switch may be the weak link.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frequently the bellows on the engine rots---leaks and won't verk Crying or Very sad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
Check out the stalk on the column. Mine has been erratic too. If I work the on/off switch back and forth a few times it works fo awhile. Seems that the switch may be the weak link.

You know I gave up on this a while back. I did take the stalk apart, (that was fun) still got nothing. So I was driving to work yesterday and the 40 mile one way trip was getting boring so I hit the cruise switch. low and behold it worked!!!! No later on in the day I tried it and nothign, but on the way back home it worked again?? It probably is in the stalk, I cleaned up the connections as best I could when I did it, but I still thingk I was not getting a good connection when i depressed the "set" button.

Maybe next time I am at the pick in pull I'll check out some cruise stalks and see if I can match it up and go from there.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rostra makes of most modern cruise controls now (they bought Dana). They have replacement stalks for all different types of applicationshttp://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: