Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bending a Safari Antenna...No Problem!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Bending a Safari Antenna...No Problem! Reply with quote

Here's an old problem: You have safari windows (or you're putting them in) and you have the standard radio antenna set up. The holes are lined up vertically and the antenna mast is in the way when you open the window.

Well, if you are in the beginning stages of a restoration or you don't worry about a couple extra holes here and there, then you can put the antenna in a number of areas and in some cases you don't need an antenna with a curved mast. But, if you are stuck with the stock antenna holes (like I am) and want a solution, then you are going to have to have an antenna with a bend in it. When you try bending one they always end up with flat spots in them at the bend and you compromise the integrity of the antenna, with it eventually breaks off at the bend. You can try to find an NOS or original aftermarket antenna, but it will only have one bend in it and you will need to reconfigure your mouting holes.

I offered a solution a while back and posted a web page that showed how to replace the mast with a solid 1/4" aluminum rod. It was easy to bend and offered satisfactory reception. It's shortcomings were that it did not extend to highten reception and it was a little bulky at the top since it didn't taper like a stock mast.

I've come up with a new solution that won't cost you more than $15 and it not only looks great, it gets incredible reception. What's the catch? You have to do the work yourself... to be continued.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougrbutler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK man, I'll bite. What are you selling? I dig the $15 teaser but what I really need is an antenna that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that looks decent and functions. What was the web page to your other solution to the safari antenna?

Don't leave me hanging man!

Doug
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too,inquiring mind need to know Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea, would a tube bender work the kind used for bending brake lines? or will the stress of the bend cause the antenna to crack and eventually break? Confused
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of photos, showing the finished antenna. In trying a couple of ways to bend the antenna I destroyed about 6" of the bottom section. I figured out a fool proof way on the second try. So, next time I'll have the full section on the bottom of the mast.

Yeh, Dubluv, a tube bender helps, but without modifying the mast it will always collapse or break. I'll explain my solution later.

Here's a photo of the finished product:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/123744.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are gonna let us in on this little trick tonight right???? Wink
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubluv,

Yes, I'll get to it. I wanted to put together a new web page first, but not enough time now.

Here's another photo of the whole thing:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/123760.jpg

Got to eat dinner first, then I'll explain the thing in detail.

Scott
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use a brake line tool?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brake line bender will kink the thin wall tubing of an antennea.

I guess you could fill the antenea with fine sand, then use the brake line bender, that should stop it from kinking.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the sand trick and the antenna collapsed.

Here's what worked: I disassembled the antenna as in my webpage for the "one piece aluminum rod" antenna:

http://www.scottmooreart.com/gallery/safari_antenna.htm

Then I took the 1/4" aluminum rod and sanded it down a little so that it would fit into the bottom section of the antenna mast with a little pounding. I used about 9" of aluminum rod, drove it all into the section but the same amount as the original metal plug had extended out the bottom of the mast when I removed it from the base. With the solid aluminum rod now 'filling' the hollow mast, I used a tube bender with a 5/16" slot to make the bends. I covered all the areas of the bender that touched the mast with masking tape to minimize scratching. After the bends were correct, I reassembled the antenna as in the webpage above.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Scott
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott the results look very nice.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, wasn't sure the sand would have cut it for the super thin antenna metal. Looks great!

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldestbusdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Thanks for the info. I have destroyed a couple of antennas in my day trying to put the bends in them.

I just need a little clarification. I took my antenna apart but the terminal rod wouldn't twist out like you said. I had to drill it out and now I don't have one to put back in the new aluminum rod.

Any suggestions?
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldestbusdude,

Yes, when you destroy or have to destroy the terminal, just take a piece of 10 gauge copper wire, file the ends a little and tap the wire into the hole.
I have that fix on my current antenna and it works great.

Scott
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inserting a long narrow spring would work as well, to keep the antenna from collapsing at the bend
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job! I like to see thigs done well . . . and with innovation.!!
islandveedub Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had a need to make a safari antenna, and I got some great information off this thread. However, I saw that Scott didn't get around to posting instructions working with the newer stainless steel antennas, so I thought I'd update this with a tutorial. My antenna came from Wolfsburg West, who I believe manufactures their own antenna, so the information should be accurate as long as you get the antenna from them.

Here is what you are starting with. A stainless steel antenna with a chromed plastic base, nuts, washers and a seal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take off the nuts, washers and seal.

Remove the large thin nut.

Unscrew the large post by double nutting the threads.

Slide out the antenna from the base.

Using a utility knife, cut the plastic sleeve as pictured and remove.

EXTEND THE ANTENNA, then cut the bottom portion of the antenna as shown. I just guessed how much to cut. Luckily, I cleared the brass plug. Also, if you don't extend the antenna, you might hit the lower portion of the middle section making the antenna not stay extended.

Using the side of a Dremel cut off wheel, very carefully cut through the antenna left over on the brass plug. Try not to grind the brass plug itself.

Using pliers, pull off the cut piece of antenna and discard.

Mark where the end of the brass plug will be on the antenna as well as where the grooves of the plug are.

Buy some 1/4" aluminum rod and cut off about 9". This is per Scott's original tutorial. You might be able to get away with less, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Chuck up your 9" piece of aluminum rod into your drill press and sand away. I used 80 grit sandpaper and it took a loooong time. If you have a metal lathe, use that. If you have neither, sand it by hand. You'll eventually get there. You will also need to debur the antenna where you cut with the tubing cutter. Otherwise, it will give you a false impression of how much you need to shave away on the rod.

Insert the aluminum rod in the base of your antenna. Put the brass plug in to keep the aluminum rod from sliding out. Don't worry about the orientation of the threaded hole on the brass plug at this time. I measured about 2 1/2 " up from the antenna base and started my first bend there. I bent the antenna at a 45 degree angle.

I measured up 2" and made the next bend the opposite direction at 45 degrees. You can see the slight crimping at the bends. These are unavoidable, but do not look that bad at all. Without the aluminum rod inside, the antenna would kink.

Now that the bending is done, make sure the threaded hole in the brass plug is facing as shown in the picture then peen it on the marks made earlier on the antenna that coincide with the grooves. This will keep the plug from spinning or popping out.

Cut out the grooves on the inside of the plastic sleeve with a 17/64" drill bit. You can do this by hand or with a drill. You could skip this step if you peened the antenna evenly all the way around.

Assembly is the reverse of the steps shown in the beginning and you are done!

60 Doublecab
62 23 Window Walkthrough Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nowhereFAST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on, thanks for the updated pictured tutorial.
shaka brah!
Founder THRASHER Magazine
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo!!!

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brownie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i tryed and snaped mine in half would love to just buy one already done i know this is a old thread but if anybody is selling let me know
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: