Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which shocks?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phishfud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Which shocks? Reply with quote

Time to put 4 new shocks on my 72 Camper, but am now torn on what to get. I had my mind all made up to get KYB's, then read something about Bilstein and how geat they are. I also see how much more money they cost. So what are yu folks running on your bus? What do you like/dislike? Thanks for the info.

terry
02 GTI
Multiple musclecar projects

..aint toys fun ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find a pair of billsteins for a baywindow bus. They make shocks for splits and Vanagons and I have no idea how the bus handles adapting those.

As far as KYBs go, GR-2 in front and Gas-a-just in the rear is a good combination. The front is too stiff with Gas-a-just installed. If you like firmer handling then you can do it but you'll feel every bump and manhole cover in the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with GR-2s in the front and rear. Replace the rear with GasAdjusts.

Big improvement, so I replaced the front GR-2s with the Gas Adjusts and they are a bit firmer, but really not too firm. I am keeping them where they are and considering anti-sway bars (f&r) after reading Richards discussion of them.

I do notice that my CD player will skip if I hit a pretty good hole, where before it would not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 'Kill-Your-Back' Gas-Adjusts in both front and rear.
They work fine and last for years. I have had that set-up for years.
Next time around I will use the GR-2's in front.
I am getting wussie in my old age.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the white kyb on the rear and the gr-2 up front, been putting them on in that combo for years.

recently I was working on a Westy that had some kind of BIG ass silver shocks with a red ribbed boot on them ( Rancho maybe?) may not have been for the VW application specifically but the fit and man did they get the rear up in the air!... at leas 1-2 inches higher that even the KYB gas adjust do.

did not get a number or ID on them though.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the GR2 /Gas adjust combo on my 72, the only problem I have is that the rears seem to run out of travel before the spring plate hits the stop, anyone else have this problem?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the correct PN# rear shock? I have never had that happen before. The type 2 68- later shock is pretty long. should'nt be happening. Makes me think you ( or someone else, PO maybe?) intalled ( were sold) the wrong ones...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bus boys lowered front beam with the gas adjust shocks up front for lowered buses. I want to get the gr-2 shocks up front to give a lil softer ride. Now do they have a gr-2 for lowered buses or are they all the same on the gr-2? I want to make sure I get the right ones that will fit.

Thanks james
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the gas adjust on both front and rear of the 69 and like the way it handles, but it's a westy so its alittle heavy. Maybe that's the reason I have never thought the front shocks are too stiff. They also have held up for quite a few years.
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavepuppie I have the GR2s on the front of my bus and was told you can use stock beetle shocks for an even softer ride.(stock beetle = lowered bus) Wife said Gas Ajust made her boobs bounce to much,you seen my wife,kinda funny watchin her hold "the girls" goin down a crappy rd.
locolobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: KYBs Reply with quote

I have been looking for the gas adjust KYB and I am not having any luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, has anyone put a rear sway bar on thier bus?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try thebusdepot.com for the shocks (about $30 each). That is where I got mine. gowesty.com swears by Bilsteins but they are too much money to me at $75 each.

You should read Richard's rap on anti-sway bars before you spend any money.

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/

I am hoping to do the adjustable anti-sway bars (fronts and rear) thing in the spring. I want to say about $400 for both.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: