Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown Grommet Part # 021-119-562
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Unknown Grommet Part # 021-119-562 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Part # 021-119-562 It goes on the front engine tin above the bellhousing below the firewall. It was on the tin I got for my new engine. I wanna plug up the hole but with what? It's about 1" X 2 1/4".

I did a Google search for and didn't find a single thing. Anyone know what it's for and what I can use to plug the hole. I can't find a plug that shape anywhere.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my '78, that is the grommet in the front engine tin that my accelerator cable passes through.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
On my '78, that is the grommet in the front engine tin that my accelerator cable passes through.

The grommet goes on the right side. The accelerator cable goes on the left. It's too big for the accelerator cable anyway. 2 1/4" x 1". That would be one hell of a cable!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluggo wrote:
It's too big for the accelerator cable anyway. 2 1/4" x 1". That would be one hell of a cable!

Yeah, I know its huge compared to the accel cable, but thats where mine comes out for the linkage on the throttle body for stock 2.0 L fuel injection. Its pretty well right in the middle of the engine. I can't figure out what else would or should pass through that position.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW superceded that part number to 021 119 562 B.
And it fits from 2x4 2000 001.

Big deal..... both are NLA available......

ETKA shows it all the way over on the right end. But it definitely is just off center to the right. I know, because I just looked at a complete 78 engine in my driveway, and it is for the throttle cable. It is the only hole there. It is direct in line with the FI throttle arm. That is why if fits "from 2x4 2000 001", because that is when FI started.
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
VW superceded that part number to 021 119 562 B.
And it fits from 2x4 2000 001.

Big deal..... both are NLA available......

ETKA shows it all the way over on the right end. But it definitely is just off center to the right. I know, because I just looked at a complete 78 engine in my driveway, and it is for the throttle cable. It is the only hole there. It is direct in line with the FI throttle arm. That is why if fits "from 2x4 2000 001", because that is when FI started.

Thanks for the info. Now I just gotta figure out how to plug it.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluggo wrote:

Cut a couple pieces of sheetmetal to that shape but a little larger and drill a hole through the middle of both. Put one on each side of hole, run a screw through the hole, put a nut on the end & snug it up. Maybe use a bit of RTV to help seal things if you think it'd be needed. Cheap, easy, reversable.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me right, the gromet for the automatic transmission filler tube looks just like that. Just like the throttle cable grommet, but a little bigger. It'd be way on the left side though.
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
sluggo wrote:

Cut a couple pieces of sheetmetal to that shape but a little larger and drill a hole through the middle of both. Put one on each side of hole, run a screw through the hole, put a nut on the end & snug it up. Maybe use a bit of RTV to help seal things if you think it'd be needed. Cheap, easy, reversable.

That's pretty much what I did but with 2 1/4" metal washers. I just was hoping someone knew of a plug off a Chevy or something that would fit. I just think it would look better.

I confirmed that it is the grommet for the throttle cable on an FI Type 4. I helped out trnelson73 this weekend and his 78 had it.
regalasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, me and Trackwesty were looking at my stuff at the show on Sunday and I have one of those grommets in good shape. I put it aside for you. I have to drop by this week, will give you a call.
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope The Sage is reading this thread. Take it all dude, take it all.
sluggo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regalasr wrote:
Dude, me and Trackwesty were looking at my stuff at the show on Sunday and I have one of those grommets in good shape. I put it aside for you. I have to drop by this week, will give you a call.

Thanks but I think I'll just plug it with washers. A new one still wouldn't seal the hole. Save this NLA grommet for someone with FI who really needs it.

Definitely still need the other items we talked about.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Grommet Part # 021-119-562 Reply with quote

sluggo wrote:

Just curious to know if anyone has run across this grommet in their travels. It is on the rear tin of my bus, and the throttle arm passes through it on my automatic. Part number:

021 119 562

or

021 119 562 B

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Grommet Part # 021-119-562 Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
sluggo wrote:

Just curious to know if anyone has run across this grommet in their travels. It is on the rear tin of my bus, and the throttle arm passes through it on my automatic. Part number:

021 119 562

or

021 119 562 B

I seen one the other day at my mechanics when i got lucky to crawl around his shop. I can ask if he would sell it. Not the best condition but think he may have had two. I will ask if i can buy them if you want? Or try and take picture of them first, problem is they are in attic and hard to get at. I was covered in grease. Found the little spark plug holder i needed and it crumbled to pieced from age and heat i suspect. When i next talk to him I will see if he will let me grab them.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and thank you. If they aren't too wrecked, like mine, then please ask him if he will sell them. Thanks Matt.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan from what I recall it looked maybe the condition of picture above. Had same kinda missing flap. Think peeps cut it out so cable goes threw easier. Maybe. If he has a better one I will get it too. I made mistake of telling him how rare and what those things go for. Mine is I'm great condition so I did not think to get them at the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: