Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are people bad drivers or what?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Are people bad drivers or what? Reply with quote

Ok,
I am relatively new to owning a Vanagon. I love cruising it but I have noticed a lot of really bad driving since owning it. The only things I can attribute this to are (ready for the test? choose the answer that is Most correct):

I. people drive Really dumb around Vanagons (which seems stupid to me as a Vanagon would crush most cars, other than Escalades and Navigators of course).

II. I see a lot more dumb driving as I am sitting higher up than I used to in my Toyota truck.

III. i'm driving poorly.

a) I
b) II
c) I and II
d) I, II, and III

Kev
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell, as you did not describe your driving.

But, I think that you see more in a vanagon, and you become sensitive to certain bad driving habits, such as:

1 Tailgating; Cars always seem really close behind the vanagon. I think this may be due to the height, and the viewpoint you have through the back hatch. I often run my rear window washer/wiper to drive em off.

2. Cut-off; Since the vanagon has _no_ _nose_, you get sensitive to how close cars come. this can also happen when the other driver mis-gauges your speed, as you can go faster than most expect a VW to go.

3. Rear Dives(my own term); cars that fly up behind you, and then realize your speed, or Never noticed your brake lights. I amped up my brake lights in response to this, and plan to add a 3rd brake light.

Those are my top 3. There are more, Just be patient, drive same, and Always give yourself following distance. Oh, and Yes, Vanagons can eat other cars. do a search for the Vanagon vs Volvo(sorry) video.

Good Luck,
Matt
jdgomez69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They eat more than Volvos! Although I still love my old 240 with 250,000 original miles. This is what happens when a 2000 Grande Cherokee thinks it doesn't have to stop at an intersection for a VW!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For Fun my Volvo next to the beast!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Are people bad drivers or what? Reply with quote

hwy1westy wrote:
I have noticed a lot of really bad driving

I think it's a question of awareness - driving an older, low-powered manual transmission vehicle with audible engine etc. feels like REALLY driving; you're engaged, paying attention to every movement and sound - you have to be present.

Contrast that with the person driving a new SUV - they feel invunerable, separated from the sounds and feel of driving; rolling along in a cushy bubble not hearing and feeling the road or their machine. The only time they pop out of their little dreamworld is when they get stuck behind a Vanagon doing 55 in a 65 zone...this is assuming they don't just plow into the back of it, splattering Starbucks and cellphone parts all over their dashboard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have seen the comedy of errors at the Starbucks near my home yesterday morn. Two big SUVs trying to squeeze into the mini-lot of the Starbucks located on the corner of a busy intersection. Pluggin' up traffic in the intersection coming from two diff. directions. Hehe. There is a kick ass indie coffee shop not a block and a half away with tons of parkin and a nice staff. Wow. Starbucks tastes burnt to me.
kev
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, I avoid Starbucks. The above example is reasons enough not to go. I think it is fair to say that I HATE STARBUCKS. Normally, I do not give a DAMN about such things, but Starfucks just pisses me off on so many levels. I am not a counter culture person by nature, but in this case, you bet I am. Too many good little roasters are gone. We used to have some really neat coffee places here. San Diego is NOT a hub of culture, but I really dislike it having less and less character. Screw those Starfuckers.

Now you usually get what you pay for. Not at Starbucks. I feel raped. I do not like paying for all their hype, advertising and expansionism. Nope, not me. I will walk past, around and make special trips elsewhere to avoid going even near one of those places.

And yes, they do burn their coffee. That bitter taste covers up crappy coffee. I used to work for a tea importer and I learned. Family friends have coffee farms, so I know what good coffee is. I even drink Denny's coffee. It has a place. European coffee, even from Ikea, I think, is better. Screw that swill they try to pass around at those outragous prices. F them.

Now what does this have to do with crappy drivers? How many of them have that coffee (dare I say) in question on board with them? Seems they can not even park. Bet those are the same ones that complain their SUVs get bad milage yet insist on racing from traffic light to traffic light. Or do Light Speed in Sub Light zones? I bet there is question in their minds whether to spend money on crap or buy good food to eat.

Ding Dongs. They drive like Ding Dongs. I have seen a lot. Driving a raised Vanagon really lets you see. And I do drive slow. On purpose. Saves gas and pisses the Ding Dongs off! I love it.......

Damn I almost feel better......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdgomez69 wrote:
They eat more than Volvos! Although I still love my old 240 with 250,000 original miles. This is what happens when a 2000 Grande Cherokee thinks it doesn't have to stop at an intersection for a VW!

For Fun my Volvo next to the beast!

is that SNOW?????

and it's 94 outside today....I was just getting my 20lb bucket of R-12 out to check AC units on the kids cars....

and I see snow.... Wink
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW,

Sounds like it is time to go to the Summer coastal home now......

It is only like 72 down here. A bit hazy. The pool is looking good. Time to begin to let the neighbor girls cum over and swim naked. Milfs welcome too.......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
focuszx3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
As a general rule, I avoid Starbucks. The above example is reasons enough not to go. I think it is fair to say that I HATE STARBUCKS. Normally, I do not give a DAMN about such things, but Starfucks just pisses me off on so many levels. I am not a counter culture person by nature, but in this case, you bet I am. Too many good little roasters are gone. We used to have some really neat coffee places here. San Diego is NOT a hub of culture, but I really dislike it having less and less character. Screw those Starfuckers.

Now you usually get what you pay for. Not at Starbucks. I feel raped. I do not like paying for all their hype, advertising and expansionism. Nope, not me. I will walk past, around and make special trips elsewhere to avoid going even near one of those places.

And yes, they do burn their coffee. That bitter taste covers up crappy coffee. I used to work for a tea importer and I learned. Family friends have coffee farms, so I know what good coffee is. I even drink Denny's coffee. It has a place. European coffee, even from Ikea, I think, is better. Screw that swill they try to pass around at those outragous prices. F them.

Now what does this have to do with crappy drivers? How many of them have that coffee (dare I say) in question on board with them? Seems they can not even park. Bet those are the same ones that complain their SUVs get bad milage yet insist on racing from traffic light to traffic light. Or do Light Speed in Sub Light zones? I bet there is question in their minds whether to spend money on crap or buy good food to eat.

Ding Dongs. They drive like Ding Dongs. I have seen a lot. Driving a raised Vanagon really lets you see. And I do drive slow. On purpose. Saves gas and pisses the Ding Dongs off! I love it.......

Damn I almost feel better......

On the subject of Starbucks... http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/video_disp.asp?videoid=1049
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BIG man *IS* right!

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there have been a couple of polls where folks are asked to rate their driving skills from 1 (horrible) to 10 (the best).
now everyone knows that in reality 1/2 of us are below 5 and half of us are above 5, but 90% of folks give themselves a 9! or better...
btw...
I give myself a 9.5 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving a Vanagon in the Rat Race against caffeine jacked zombies is fun. You can only kill so many though...twisted
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I'm always happy to see the Big Man. That guy is laughs. Laughing
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that Volvo 240 is actually longer bumper to bumper than the Vanagon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_series#200_Series_Specifications

Vanagon is only 179.9"

I checked last week when I had my 1990 Vanagon next to my father's 1990 240 sedan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
WW,

Sounds like it is time to go to the Summer coastal home now......

It is only like 72 down here. A bit hazy. The pool is looking good. Time to begin to let the neighbor girls cum over and swim naked. Milfs welcome too.......

Perth? Heaps on you mate! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: