Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus air conditioning
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat4freak1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Bus air conditioning Reply with quote

any one actually have a bus with working a/c? how well does it work? tell us about it.
lastubbe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus had a/c but it's out and the spot in the engine compartment that held the compressor is empty.

When my VW mechanic went through my bus, he discouraged me from attempting to put it back in. He said it's more trouble than it's worth.
/|__|__|\
| .\ @ /. |
| 0 \ / 0 |
that's one sick bus!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of installing an air conditioner right now. So far, the compressor and the condenser are on. I bought an under dash evaporator here on The Samba. The place for AC to check out is Gilmore Enterprises. The new compressors do not put a heavy load on the engine as the single piston original equipment. From the engine compartment you can't see the compressor, it is located underneath. I am waiting for the long return hose to finish. It will be a change from the hot sweaty summer drives.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the dealer-installed AC in the '79 Bay I owned previously. (The one with the under-dash vents only.)

I kept it fully charged and it worked, but it had a tough time cooling a volume so large. It was OK for front seat passengers, but that was about it. And the fan was really loud.

Surprisingly, it didn't seem to sap the engine too much, but there was some vibration at idle.

I'm not sure if the factory system (roof mounted) had a larger cooling capacity, but the under-dash system was marginal.

Don

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hoses are old and have a slow leak, but it works when it is charged. Not very well though. Of course in Texas, the AC in newer cars don't cool very well when it's 110 degrees either. The fan is very loud but puts out a pretty good volume of air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWLover77 wrote:

I'm not sure if the factory system (roof mounted) had a larger cooling capacity, but the under-dash system was marginal.

There was no factory system. All the A/C systems were installed at the dock or the dealer once the busses got to the US. That's why so many of the installations look butchered.

I have an entire kit from a roof mounted A/C that I'm going to sell. But I don't want to ship so it needs to be someone local in CO. Sigh. I should take pics and put 'em in the Classifieds... Stupid broken digicam.
WileyVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: AC Reply with quote

I have the underdash unit installed from GILMORE in Tampa , in my sp 1600 1968 westy, living in south florida it has extended my driving periods greatly. It works great and the little jap compressor pulls a minimum of my 50 horses. It keeps the two front passengers very comfortable even in the 90's with high humidity. His kit and instructions are great and could be DIY if you want to take the time with minimal tools, all you have to do is have it charged after installation.
Elwood-Bluesvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: AC Reply with quote

WileyVW wrote:
I have the underdash unit installed from GILMORE in Tampa , in my sp 1600 1968 westy, living in south florida it has extended my driving periods greatly. It works great and the little jap compressor pulls a minimum of my 50 horses. It keeps the two front passengers very comfortable even in the 90's with high humidity. His kit and instructions are great and could be DIY if you want to take the time with minimal tools, all you have to do is have it charged after installation.

That sounds really interesting, do they have a web site or any contact info? Also when you say -charged after installation- who does that and is it legal everywhere? Im obviously ignorant to air conditioning terms but like that yours is in a early Bay and working. Thanks, Barb

Looking for og steering box
WileyVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get their address and contact information and post it for you... The charging is the current coolant used in A/C's and as I understand any A/C shop will do it for minimum money.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Reply with quote

WileyVW wrote:

c'mon already. are morals going under with rights in the same breath?

contribution:
Question a/c
A: disassembled, parted like nixon
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

????

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Quote:

????

He's talking about the use of the term "jap".
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmigawd. What's next? Using a slur like Brit? Scot? Mex (as in Meximotor)? Someone call the ACLU!!!! The immorality is killing me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll wait while the thread plays
edit: no wait, i've decided. all slurs are created equal
WileyVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A/C system is called "FREEZURNUGEN" :>)

GILMORE ENTERPRISES
4745 126TH AVENUE NORTH
UNIT 94
CLEARWATER, FLORIDA 33762
727 573 2944
[email protected]
flabay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did the Gilmore system cost you? I'm local here and have seen his systems @ BugJam. They look really nice. I just wondered if it was way beyond my budget or not. Nothing wrong with a "Jap" compressor, has to be better than those old York ones! Thanks.
Still can't figure out how to install this Charcoal Can right with my 40mm dual solex carbs. PM me please.
Click to view image
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Ohmigawd. What's next? Using a slur like Brit? Scot? Mex (as in Meximotor)? Someone call the ACLU!!!! The immorality is killing me.

Dang, I sure like my kraut cars & buses... and my mick, brit, scot & kraut forebears probably would've also. Oh, an' I'm big on Tex-Mex food, and the restaurants that advertise that's what they serve. Have a Japanese pilot friend who warns me, "There's gonna be a nip in the air tonite", before he goes up. Time to get over it! The world is too damn small to make ugly slurs about anyone, or be seriously insulted by the abreviations that could sound like slurs... but aren't.

Seems like some of my ancestors were Danes too, just ordinary Danes, not Great Danes! Live & let live.

J.R.
68 Westy(soon to have a kraut V6 with an Itai carb, until I can work it up for some Aussie f.i.)
ScooterD35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back on the subject...

My '73 Westy has an unusual A/C unit. The compressor is where you would expect (left rear part of the engine), the Condenser is strapped to the bottom of the bus and the blower unit is under the jump-seat with the outlets right behind the driver's head. Seems to work but I haven't tried it in high summer yet.

Scooter
morgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same unit in my Westy, minus the compressor. Was thinking about de-installing everything and have an extra storage area under the jump seat and seal the holes in the floor where the hoses run through.

Morgan
Full Moon Bus Club - A family of Bus owners who love camping!
http://www.fullmoonbusclub.com
stymie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flabay wrote:
How much did the Gilmore system cost you? I'm local here and have seen his systems @ BugJam. They look really nice. I just wondered if it was way beyond my budget or not. Nothing wrong with a "Jap" compressor, has to be better than those old York ones! Thanks.

I spoke to Ed today-the price for the unit that fits the Type 4 engine is currently $1,450. You don't have to butcher the tin to install. I run his system on my 60 Westy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: