Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior fan options - getting ready for summer
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Interior fan options - getting ready for summer Reply with quote

As I enter my first summer in my '78 Westy I'm wondering what others have done to help with the summer heat. I know ambulance fans are sometimes available, but I'm thinking there should be more up-to-date alternatives. I also know many folks have mounted four-blade fans on the dash, but I'd rather find something that's a bit more descrete than that, and that might do a better job of helping clear the windshield on rainy, humid days. I've seen an ad for a unit that mounts in the dash, but you have to cut the speaker section out of the dash and I'd rather not do that.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ambulance fans generate LOTS of air and they install easily and integrate perfectly--you can't even tell they are present. The dashboard vents generate an air stream that is kind of narrow--you won't get wide air movement like a big 4-blade fan--but for clearing the windshield, etc., can't imagine finding anything much better. Curious to see what other folks suggest, though.
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
meloveherbie53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to an old trailer and pull out the roof vent with the fan in it and mount it on the roof of the westy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trotsky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Ambulance fans sound pretty cool (no punn in tended). I am wondering if there is something like this that would help circulate the warm air too.

When I want to cool things down I just use the qtr lites and tilt them to they force the air into me as I drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to ambulance fans http://www.rule-industries.com/prodInfoApp/servlet...anyID=RULE The big bilge in line blower fits right where the ambulance fan goes. Cut off the plastic mounting feet, put some foam rubber around the fan's perimeter, wire it up and hang on. Available @ West Marine.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised we didn't get a post about the famous crotch coolers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Tue May 16, 2006 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opossum, do you need the duct work that comes with the ambulance fans? I've never actually seen a set of ambulance fans installed, but they look like they come with ducting that surrounds the fans. If you don't have that tin, can you use these?
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, no all you need is the fan and some foam rubber. The fan will fit right in your existing duct work. Look at the ambulance fans for sale in the classifieds; that duct work is exactly the same as what's on your bus. Oh, there is one difference, the small hole for the electrical wire to go through; which you will have to drill. These bilge fans are better than the old ambulance fans for several reasons: plastic = no rust. updated fan design = more air flow, new tech. motor draws less amps, and motor is sealed for moisture protection = longer life. If you want to keep your nuts cool (as the other post mentioned) you can install the small one under the dash out of sight aimed wherever you want.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone thinking of buying stock fans, listen to Opossum. I ordered two 4" fans from Boatersland for 23.99 each and just installed them today (by the way, they're the same fans found elsewhere for $10 more each). The fit is nearly perfect and they do a great job of pushing fresh air through the cabin Laughing . Add a toggle switch on the dash and for about $50 you have brand new fresh air fans, built on new technology, for less than half the price of old fans listed here or on ebay. And it's a ten minute install, plus whatever time it takes to install the switch of your choice.

I haven't had a chance to see how quickly they will clear a steamy window, but I'm guessing it will be fast!

Thanks for the suggestion, Opossum Applause .

Regards,
Chris
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Carl! This is awesome!
jigzila
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you mounting the fans? in the fresh air duct of the heater ducts? and pics? i have one of those fans around somewhere that i bought for a heater booster but never installed. lets see some pics
CarlSpackler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: DIY Ambulance Fans Reply with quote

Link
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1523614&sid=a5585b29c915399f8df6e60f71901233#1523614]DIY Ambulance Fans[/url]

Here are three pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Here is the fan and the box it came in. I thought the four inch fan seemed like it would be too large, but it fits perfectly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
(alt+p)

Here is the fan with the mounting brackets removed. You can also see the one downside to these fans in this picture - Made in China. But that's a political view we'll leave out of this post.

(alt+p)

Here it is in the duct. I used a tightly rolled shop rag to stuff in around it just to keep it from moving. You could use foam or weatherstrip - or I'm sure you could just leave it alone as there's nowhere for it to go.

(alt+p)

I have them both connected to a toggle switch on the dash, and powered through the lighter. I wanted to be able to turn them on without the bus started so I could use them to push fresh air through the cabin if it was really hot in the bus before getting in and starting it. They move a LOT of air, so there's really no way you could forget they're on and kill your battery.

Total cost was about $65 with the switch. Much cheaper than old, used fans, and I'm guessing that since they're built on new technology they move more air, quieter, and with less draw. The only down side is that they're single speed, but with the size of the cabin, they'd probably be on high most of the time anyway.

Enjoy! If anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me or post them here for others to see.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. I have been thinking of this since Buses by the Bridge, where I saw ambulance fans in action.
The Vegas heat is killer...there is nothing like sitting at a red light when it's 115 degrees with no moving air.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: