Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6V-12V conversion
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: 6V-12V conversion Reply with quote

whats involved?i have a rebuilt 1600 that was made to go into a 73 (12V), would it be easier just to convert the engine back to 6v? or should i just convert everything in the car to 12?
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: 6V-12V conversion Reply with quote

Make it all 12V. A 6V starter won't match you flywheel. If you live where it gets cold you will be thankful when you start it on a cold morning! My 0.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheSickness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: 6V-12V conversion Reply with quote

ok, so how the hell do i do that? my motor is all 12v, so how do i change everything else? and how can i tell if its already been changed?
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: 6V-12V conversion Reply with quote

So you have a 6v car and a 12v engine right?

You have two options - convert the whole car to 12v, or adapt the engine for 6v.

The engine itself is dead simple - a 6v coil, 6v choke element, 6v idle cut-off solenoid in the carby, and 6v generator (you'll need a 6v regulator too). You might need a different genny stand too if you currently have an alternator. A little re-wiring for the regulator would be needed but it's not hard.

The tricky bit is the flywheel. The 6v starters use a 109 tooth flywheel.

The 12v starter uses a 130 tooth flywheel.

If you get a 6v flywheel to fit the engine, then you have no problems. There are 2 types of 6v flywheel - the older type uses a paper type oil seal, and the later style uses a rubber ring oil seal the same as the 12v version - that's the type you want.

The 6v starter can then be used. Oh - don't forget to change the starter pinion bearing in the engine case for the fatter 6v starter shaft.

The 6v flywheel has a 180mm clutch, rather than a 200mm clutch normally used by the 1600s. No problems so long as you aren't into hard launches - the 180mm clutch is used on the 1600 semi-autos, so it will handle the higher power OK, though it may wear out just a little faster with the 1600.

Or, if you REALLY want to go looking, find a 65 or 66 flywheel from a type3 (fastback/notchback etc). These had 6v but had the 200mm clutch :-)

Nothing wrong with the 6v systems in VW, so long as you keep it in good condition...nice bright connectors, a good battery and so on.

Over 6.5 million bugs and lots of type2s and 3s were 6v.

Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repairs and maintenance for the home mechanic
http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: