Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tranny mid mount
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: tranny mid mount Reply with quote

i have a 68 swingaxle tranny with early short axles/tubes with an early bus nosecone mounted in a 59 pan. It has crappy generic style urethane mounts at all locations. i was told to use the bus nosecone if i didnt want to run the adapter type solid mount up front. It fits beautiful this way and have driven it for thousands of miles.
question: i put in a 2017 turbo motor and recently bought a "mid mount" of unknown make to handle the power at a swap meet. it will not reach the nosecone mounting holes because the frame horn seems to fat for it, or is something else going on?? i have looked at the moore and berg mounts and they apear identical. the holes are about 1 3/8 inch from sliding on. please help because i dont want to modify it if i dont have to. by the way, it wont reach on my friends 62 either, thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used a weld-in mid mount before, but most likely it will require modifications. I swapped my tranny this weekend, only differance was the new one has long axles. I had to fab a new front mount, modifiy the middle strap kit and the rear strap that goes over the bellhousing, as well as modifying my shifter.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: tranny mid mount Reply with quote

this is actually the bolt in style, but if i have to cut and weld it up just to make it bolt on, i'm going to just make it into a weld on style instead. Nobody has ran into this problem before????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bolts to the intermediate housing not the nosecone. It should fit just fine if you go to the next section back to bolt it on. I am assuming that the framehorns on a 59 are the same as my 66.

Mike
59 single, 66 bug, 69 bus, 73 super
Member of the Ddk
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, but i checked and we're talking about the same place. i typed nosecone but meant intermediate. this thing looks exactly like the moore mid mount, but with slightly different urethane bushings. there's a lot of smart people in this forum, but i'm having a hard time believing nobody has run into this before... please help
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's MOHR mid mount...I actaully call it a traction control...At last count, 4 companies have copied it. The problem you're having is that the pads are wrong. Just get some shorter pads and it will fit.....
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joel, it is way off even when i take the pads off. Yours looks like the pads are flat mine are rounded at the top. The bottom holes on the mount are about 5/8 inch above the bar portion. I will buy yours if it will fit, but it looks like the holes would have to be about 1 1/2 above the bar. The tranny is positioned very evenly with the frame horns, BUT the intermediate studs of the tranny case are not within an inch of the bottom of the horns... Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: