Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus as Winter Vehicle?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Bob. Say Bob, that wasn't a "ne" on the right front tire (in the wheel well shot ) as in "Firestone" was it? We don't do Firestone on these fine high quality German automobiles. Firestone is for Fords, the Flip-Over-Really-Dumbly Explorers.
Volkswagen Aesthetic Police
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Say Bob, that wasn't a "ne" on the right front tire (in the wheel well shot ) as in "Firestone" was it?

Yup, Firestone FT70-C. They were on the bus when I bought it and wouldn't have been my choice, but they've been great, especially so since I just had the bus torsion bar and spring plate adjusted to spec. This eliminated the rear end sag and--wow--what a difference! Tracks more true and rides more stable than I ever thought it could--even with Firestones.

Besides, in many ways aren't Firestones perfect for our vehicles? Didn't Firestone technology sort of peak in the '70s? Sing along with me now, "Firestone, Firestoooone, where the rubber meets the road...." Laughing
Proud Member #1, SBS (Stock Bus Society)

*Enjoy and appreciate your good health*

We used to play for silver
Now we play for life
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of winterizing buses, I have left over 7 or 8 feet of the R 4.2 insulated flexible Mylar ducting. This is not enough to do the whole heat tube job, but putting it on couldn't hurt and you could always use it in conjunction with other stuff.

If anybody wants it, post here or send me an email and I will get it to you for the cost of UPS, which should be quite cheap as even all boxed up it weighs almost nothing.

Now we play for life
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Nice job on the waxoyl. It looks pretty good to me. If you got out for less than a couple of hundred bucks, it was a deal.

I am getting ready to steam clean the bottom of my bus and have my POR-15 stuff ready to go on the bottom over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Hey if nobody else wants that insulation. I will take it. Send me an e-mail to [email protected] and tell me where to send you some dough.

Is it warmer yet?

Randy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob D. wrote:

Yup, Firestone FT70-C.

My Firestone 500s separated a ply on the right front tire in Pennsylvania Route 6 outside of Middletown in 1979, hard left turn downhill sweeper. Turns out they were a recall. Firestone replaced them with 721s. One of them separated a ply too, Storrow Drive in Boston. Switched to Michelin in 1980, haven't looked back.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...of course you couldn't know it at the time, but you went from bad to worse...I remember the 721s. Sad

I will probably replace my tires at some point, but when I do I have to face the whole question of whether to upgrade to bigger wheels. something I definitely don't want to think about yet!

In the meantime, I keep reminding myself that all Firestone products aren't bad; for example some of the best performance tires available are being produced under the Bridgestone name, and it's all one big company sharing the same engineers. Maybe my FT70s are really S02 Pole Positions in hiding.... Razz

Also to save any more of you from emailing me about the mylar ducting, Randy was the first to respond, so it's on its way to Maine tomorrow. Thanks.

Now we play for life
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus it is cold here in Maine today. 28 degrees and windy. Thanks Bob!

I never have had any luck with Firestones either. (even though my grandpa worked there!)

I am a Michelin guy and knock on wood I haven't had a flat tire in more than 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob D. wrote:
I will probably replace my tires at some point, but when I do I have to face the whole question of whether to upgrade to bigger wheels.

Let's face it now. "Upgrading" to bigger wheels on THAT bus?
Blasphemy, sacrilege, woe. What's wrong with those quality German Engineered 14 x 5 1/2 J drop disk wheels? Ya trying to mess up your highway rpms so it'll overheat or do you want more traction so it'll flip instead of slide? Razz
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here he is ladies and gentelmen 'ol "keep 'em in line Colin"!
Bob D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean I shouldn't mention the slammed suspension, shaved handles, limo tint and extractor exhaust with six foot megaphone outlet? Anxious Laughing

Now we play for life
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Limo tint"... I like that. Sounds very Lost Angeles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: