Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Year?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratwell I am not meaning to be rude or anything, sorry about the defensiveness. Anyone that drives a bus is a friend of mine as long as our engines are running lets be happy. You are always a great source of information on this forum and I dont want to be the jerk that is making arguments about something that really doesnt matter. Peace my friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am know I am coming off as an ass but you said you examined the lifters why dont you examine the cam thats where you will notice the wear the lifters will adjust themselves and not show much if any wear.

I don't see how this destroys engines. Valves are either too tight or too loose. What exactly is causing abnormal wear when the lifter pumps up and create the perfect clearance for the engine temperature?

The problem with hydraulics is that dirty oil or lack of oil can cause them to become air bound. When that happens and you don't rectify the situation you will probably experience failure. I've never had a lifter stick on me after 7 years of non-use as I described above.

Quote:
If you look at there engines they never put hydraulic in the 914. Why you might ask, because they expect someone that owns a porsche to be down there or a mechanic every 1000 or so miles to properly adjust them plus like you said you can get maximum performance out of a solid lifter.

Porsche didn't put hydraulics in because they stopped making 914s in 1976. Plenty of Porsches have used hydraulics over the years and they are back in vogue again. The modern units haven't changed much in design. It's a pretty simply concept.

Quote:
I treat my vw engines like porsche engines because that is basically what my van is powered by. Porsche doesnt cut corners and thats why you see no hydraulics in there engines.

Actually Porsche did cut corners: they used a VW engine not the other way around as a cost savings measure. That engine was not designed for the 914, it was adapted to it. It's a common misconception by bus owners.

Quote:
Enjoy your hydraulic all you want I will see you on the side of the road confused as all hell as to waht happened to your quiet self adjusting engine as I scream by you at 75. Bring this debate over to the 914 forum if you want to be get more technical and have this point proved for you.

I'm not getting into any debates where the majority of folks are rattling off other peoples data. Few folks actually know the details and I'll save my energy for them. There will be lots of pictures when I eventually tear down the engine that's for sure.

I correspond with a friend in NJ with 130k miles of the same set of hydraulic lifters. When I reach the same mileage myself it will be interesting to see what mileage he has reached. If I don't, I'll happily eat a shoe. Nikes are delicious.

Thanks for your last post. I feel the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been ...ahem.. dreaming of a type IV bay ever since a guy pulled up next to me in his late bay while I was in my split bus, waved and dissappeared!! That engine has gotta to be a better experience than driving an upright motored bus. But what do I know, I have never driven one. My bay double cab I used to have ('69) could only cruise at 70. This guy in the bay with type Iv engine was doin 75 easy.

yeah big tailight buses are kinda ugly but I don't really enjoy someone pulling up behind you on the highway, and then watch them groan and give the finger as they pass you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
farmersdahtr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not base my decision about which motor to have on what other people do as they pass you. Believe me they will do the same thing when you are going 75. I know all too well. F*&k em in their SUV driving A$% and be happy driving what you are.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not base my decision about which motor to have on what other people do as they pass you. [/quote]

uh - remember I liven in baaston
If I did that I would be driving a tank!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="precious_ponies"]I have been ...ahem.. dreaming of a type IV bay ever since a guy pulled up next to me in his late bay while I was in my split bus, waved and dissappeared!! quote]

Come on out to California! Leave your split at my house (with the pink) and take a late bay home, they are pretty common out here!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: