Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thought you guys would enjoy this one
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: thought you guys would enjoy this one Reply with quote

i figured itd be nice to let everyone see you're never too young to do this mechanic stuff.

so heres the story:
my brother, (15, far left) is in need of a vehicle, so building on my Dad's and my experience restoring my 69 beetle i (17) undertook the task of doing a solo partial resto for my brothers 73 square. unfortunately, there was a TON of rust under the windows on the inside under the headliner. So i took the motor (recently rebuilt) and put it into a perfect red 71 body i found sitting in a driveway that had been rolled out after 15+ years in storage. it was a crazy find, only 650 bucks and had the OG trans (with only 38,000 miles on it! but out of the car) plus the fuel injected motor (taken apart) and it had those rare grey faced trip speedo and gauges and a decent but dusty interior.

in 1 day, between myself and some assistance from my buddy tom and steve (two guys from the right) we pulled the motor, and from there i spent the week after school stripping it down for cleaning, and reassembled the OG trans sitting in a box. the PO had ripped out the OG FI system, leaving only the fuel lines intact, so i changed those over to match the dual carb'd motor from the 73. and exactly 7 days after pulling it, it was in the 71 with the trans and everything ready to go. wiring too Very Happy

hope you enjoy the pics, i havnt downloaded the ones of the cleaned and slightly improved (new header/muffler and some other little ditties) motor in the car, but will tomorow Very Happy (im the greasy dude in brown)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bravo, bro -- keep them all alive...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AllAmericanDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent man. Looks like you had fun and helped out your bro aswell!

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work

Good to see the youngsters working on their vehicles. It is a rite of passage.

Watch the fuel pressure when switching from FI to Carbs. FI fuel pumps put out way too much fuel pressure for carbs.

Best to replace ALL soft lines while you are at it too. Mine were brittle and cracked when I was replacing my steering dampner.

RMS

Chickengeorge's wife wrote:
bing chow ching fong fang T.J. fang ching dow fong
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to RMS

thanks for the tip, i already changed all the soft lines because as you mentioned, they were cracking all over the place Shocked

removed the fuel pump near the gas tank as well, the one thats on the 73 motor is the mechanical one for carb models

thanks for the tip tho, im keeping my fingers crossed when i fire this up. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: