Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What should I look for in a bug?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bheck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: What should I look for in a bug? Reply with quote

I've been looking at several beetles in the sheboygan area and have so far tested two. One was a chopped and customized 69' and the other was a 76' super. There's one bug (i think it's a 72' or 73') I have not yet tested, but the owner is a member of our club. The thing I want to know is, what year or type is my best bet?
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is the best is really peoples opinion. I myself like 66 and older beetles. When it coms to the ride. I would say a super beetle would be your best choice. The ride is better in a super a little smoother.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Countyblues
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all about what you like some people only like early or late or some just dont care but I would say look for body damage transmission problems like poping out of gear or engine problems like not fireing on all 4. last is look at the wires and hope someone didnt try to rewire it with all the same color wires....lol
biggene
Samba Hillbilly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a super, you will want to read this link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79656

and read this link for all beetles

http://thebugshop.org/gotech.htm

Good luck on your purchases and welcome to the air-cooled world Smile

Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tkarnold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: bug Reply with quote

look for thevone with no rust, look underneath theccar and under running bds. 76 super onlybgoog if it has been changed to carbs. tom
bheck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. My dad owned a 64' and a 69' before i came into the world and has gone to look with me. However, I'm never quite sure if his advice is always the most accurate. There's a small rift between our vw leanings. He is nostolgic about his air cooled bugs, but prefers water cooled (84' vanagan westy). I'm nostolgic about water cooled because I grew up with a 78' rabbit, but am much more interested in air cooled. Water cooled volkswagens just don't feel like volkswagens to me. The engine belongs in the back where it makes a happy putt-putt and occasionally powers the vehicle. At least I've resisted my dad's prompting to get a new (imitation is more like it) beetle.
tkarnold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: best vw Reply with quote

thanks for telling us more of the story. Take your dad to the side and show him "tomtomsvws.com" , then remind him of the fun he had in the bug and how he could repair it himself! thats what got me started in the business, my 4 sons having a bug for the first car-they are now 43, 53, 57 and 59! tom
bheck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong. The only reason my dad prefers water cooled is heat. I can't blame him for that. I always have to factor in the accountant nature of my dad.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: