Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$150 74 Loaf.....What is going on here?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry P2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: $150 74 Loaf.....What is going on here? Reply with quote

I spotted a rather faded orange 74 Loaf sans rear bumper but no rust whatsoever at a wrecking yard/used car lot, asking price $150. It had been running up until a few days ago, when according to the former owner, who returned it following this incident, he filled it up with gasoline and suddenly it either "lost all its oil" or "all its oil pressure,
and/or both simulataneously. It allegedly quit running immediately.

I went with the lot attendant and we pulled the dipstick on a rather clean-looking pancake engine, and it showed only about a quart low with no obvious signs of oil leekage anywhere on the engine. The previous owner was a previous emplyee who returned it to exchange it for another car on the lot.

Does this sound risky, or should I splurge on a loaf for the possible price of a fancy steak dinner for two?
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may indeed be fried, but for $150, that's a good gamble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saltfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Westy Reply with quote

Considering that the replacement cost value of the front calipers alone on that vehicle is around $300.00, if you've got room for her, nab it. Where are you at? I need a '74 Camper for my '74 Camper! Very Happy
'61 Double-Door Panel (Sold)
'78 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'66 Panel (Sold)
'70 Fasty (Sold)
'70 Standard Transporter (Sold)
'68 Type 3 Fastback (Sold)
'69 Bus (On tour somewhere)
'70 Fastback (Sold)
'59 NSU Prinz!!! (On a racetrack someday in my dreams)
'66 Buick Wildcat (Sold)

"Come to kindly terms with your Ass for it bears you" - J. Muir
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bite... and then pull the engine and check the oil galley plug behind the flywheel... it could account for the sudden loss of oil and pressure....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it, for that price you cant lose,

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
Larry P2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would paying for a compression test be worth it? I am also told that testing for any crankshaft play is a good way of telling potential damage to the case and or bearings? Anyone have any other suggestions before I splurge?

And what's the story with those dual carbereuters? Are they a nightmare?

Absolutely no rust, not a single dent on the thing ANYWHERE!
tbirddmnd
Samba Member

Location: Westland, Michigan...but I'm from Jersey City, New Jersey!! I lived in Old Bridge/South Amboy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: I'd buy it for that price! Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal to me, buy it, pull the engine, see if you can work on it and get it running. Buff out the body, or if it needs re-painting find a good body shop that'll throw some paint on it for a decent price. Around the metro Detroit area I know a Mexican-owned body shop that'll do great work at low prices. If you can locate one of those near you go for it.

If it were me and the rest of the bus is decent, I'd spend the $150. If you still want that fancy steak dinner, just buy some thick steaks at Sam's Club, marinate them at home and throw them on the BBQ after a couple of hours. Serve 'em up with some mashed or baked potatoes! You've got your bus and your steaks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the space skip the steaks!!!!!! $150 and no rust? sounds like a good deal. Even if the engine is shot there aaae lots of parts in thee to be used for the rebuilt engine. the duel carbs are a bit unique but theres a guy( Amskeptic) on this board who is an expert at tuning them. He'll glady help you get 'em going.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: pull the GAS line from the pump and see that it is actually GAS coming from the tank and not WATER! Shocked

If it's true the bus died at the gas station it is quite possible that they pumped water instead of gas. Kooky story? Happened to my first bus! In an inderectly lucky way, the bus died at the station while filling up. Lucky because the 1500 engine in it was near total death already but it turns out the "tanks" at the station had water leaked into them so they ended up replacing the engine of the bus... along with engines from a number of other customers that also got "gas" from them with the same result.

Icing on your cake would be to find that this is what happened AND be able to claim a new motor from the gas station. However, at $150 for what seems to be an otherwise complete bus, the cost of a new motor would still make it a great score!

So either get it or let someone else here take it from you! Cool
Larry P2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full story:

The guy filled up with gas, started down the road with it and the oil light came on and the engine totally quit after running like shit very briefly. He coasted into another gas station, stopped, and all the remaining oil leaked out in a big pool underneath.

I know this is not an exact comparison, but I can easily turn the pulleys by hand on my 1835, even though on the last compression test it was running 150 pounds per cylinder. On this 1974, I can move the crankshaft pulley about three inches total. That indicates to me that it has been totally siezed, as attested by the limited amount of crankshaft pulley freedom.

This sounds like an expensive rebuild is in order
saltfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Buy that bus! Reply with quote

Man, from your descrition of the body, it dosen't really matter if there's a rod hanging out of the case. If you've got the room for it nab it and yank that flat motor and rebuild it. Or, tell me where it is so I can go get it! Very Happy
'66 Panel (Sold)
'70 Fasty (Sold)
'70 Fastback (Sold)
'66 Buick Wildcat (Sold)

bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the transmission alone is worth at least $300 as a core. you do the math.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
AZ_Ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with everyone else... a buck and a half for a STRAIGHT, RUST FREE body... even if it didn't have an engine at all, it'd still be a steal!!! Don't debate it...grab it before someone else does!

R
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get that baby!!! if you dont want it, get it anyways so i can buy it off of you. where are you located?

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times do you have to read that a good body is worth so much more than a good engine? If it was me there wouldn't even be a question, even if I didn't have the money, I'd find the money! Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saltfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Westy Reply with quote

Hey Man, have you bought that bus yet? I hope you're hooking up the tow dolly or paying Mr. Towtruck man as I peck away at this keyboard. Where did you say this salvage yard is again? Very Happy
'66 Panel (Sold)
'70 Fasty (Sold)
'70 Fastback (Sold)
'66 Buick Wildcat (Sold)

tbirddmnd
Samba Member

Location: Westland, Michigan...but I'm from Jersey City, New Jersey!! I lived in Old Bridge/South Amboy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: So far no negative responses. Reply with quote

Everyone here has responded positively saying you should get it for that price. No one has said "walk away from it". Sounds loud and clear to me!

Buy it and even if you don't have the money for the engine right now, big deal! As long as you have it you can do the engine rebuild at your lesiure later on when you can get to it, or if you can't do it yourself, at least pull the engine and take it somewhere to someone who can do it for you when you can afford it.

Heck, offer the guy $125 and see if he bites!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: