Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

redrilling lug pattern
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: redrilling lug pattern Reply with quote

I have wide five pattern on my car and I am wanting to go with some 5 on 5 chevy wheels. Since no adapters are available for this I will be getting four lug vw drums drilled to the 5 on 5 because I heard that the wide five drums cannot be redrilled. My question is what all will be needed and what will have to be done to get the four lug drums on my wide five car? or will they just go right on?
Bryce
62 Beetle
64 Beetle "Pat"
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryce,

I've seen suppliers (try CB Performance) that advertise "blank" VW drums...they're not drilled at all. You take 'em to a machine shop and tell them how many holes on what size circle, and you're golden!
Is this to be a high performance application? Or even mildly so? If so, I would recommend that you have the drums drilled but not tapped for lug bolts. Instead, have the lug holes spot-faced flat on the inside, then have lug studs pressed in. The spot-facing not only levels the inside surface of the drum, but recesses the head of the stud to preclude interference with the brake shoes. Then you could use lug nuts instead of lug bolts. The studs are far superior in strength, and the lug nuts are easier to find or replace if need be than the lug bolts would be. Let us know how you make out....
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drums are going on a street dune buggy that sits on a 1962 chassis with a stock 1600 DP. There wont be any off roading.
Bryce
62 Beetle
64 Beetle "Pat"
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still recommend the studs. They are just stronger and better, all around. I've done it to my street Beetle.

They are also not expensive, especially considering you need to have the drums machined, anyway. Like everything else, this is just one guy's opinion. You'll do what you think best, and rightly so!

Maybe some others will chime in here, to either back me up, or say I'm nuts! Wink
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studs are stronger, and they make putting wheels on a lot easier, because you can slide the wheel on and it will sit there while you tighten the nuts....

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mailman wrote:
I would still recommend the studs. They are just stronger and better, all around. I've done it to my street Beetle.

They are also not expensive, especially considering you need to have the drums machined, anyway. Like everything else, this is just one guy's opinion. You'll do what you think best, and rightly so!

Maybe some others will chime in here, to either back me up, or say I'm nuts! Wink

You're nuts, but I back you up. Smile
DirtyDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: 4-lug drums Reply with quote

the 68 4-lug rear drums have a longer "snout" because the 68 axles had longer splines. you have to machine about 11/16" off the snout and they go right on. the fronts go right on without any modificatios.
you will have to drill access holes in your backing plates behind the adjustment stars (wide 5 were adjusted from the outside).
I recently went through this and spotfaced and put studs to run 4-lug acura BBS 17" wheels
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: