Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 Beetle fuel injection help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: 1976 Beetle fuel injection help Reply with quote

Hi all, I have just bought a 1976 Californian-spec Beetle/Bug with EFI.

As I am in Australia and our cars were carb only (mine is an 'import'), information is scarce. I can work out most of it myself, but there is one component of the EFI that is baffling me. It is mounted to the near-side (left-hand as you face the engine bay) engine lid hinge mount and plumbed to the TB and intake pipe, after the air flow meter.

I would guess it is some kind of idle air control valve (IAC) but there is no wiring to it (just a third, smaller pipe stub/vacuum line that is missing - where does THAT go?) and there is already an IAC mounted down under the fan belt, letting air from near the Air Flow Meter to just below the throttle body/cold start injector.

My car has aircon - could it be an 'idle-speed-up' valve for when the air is on?

Can anybody help me?!
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: According to my Bentley Reply with quote

VWCOOL,
Ctefeh here...according to my Orange Bentley, that's a "Decel Valve" up behind the left hand side hinge. It should have a large (from behind the hinge) vacuum hose connected to it and a smaller one exiting to the left, can't see the pic properly as it's a real UFO shot...

It's a smog device used for when you are closed throttle decelerating...if faulty, idle speed will be too fast.....again according to the book...

Pics in the manual are crap for where the hoses go....

Maybe someone else has a decent pic of all the FI hoses???

Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for that - that kinda makes sense. There is a plugged vacuum hose (like a distributor advance hose) sitting around doing nothing close by. Do you reckon this valve opens or closes at closed throttle (I would guess open)? I might have a play...
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Pinch it shut.... Reply with quote

VWCOOL,
I'll look tonight, there is a specific test (just pinching shut a hose) to determine if it's bung.

"Bruce" posted a pic of an A/C FI engine and "Livens" has one so maybe a direct PM would be worth a shot for a close up of the little blighter?

Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: An odd one.... Reply with quote

VWCOOL,
Supposed to close during deceleration, doesn't mention it's running state. The test is to pinch the large hose at the rear shut while idling. If idle rises, it should be binned if nothing else is wrong (hoses).

Volkenstein
DasBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are couple of pics of my California-bought Super and where the hoses are attached to the engine. You can see the smaller hose and the larger hose in the two pics with the arrows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that - I will reconnect the small hose to the device mounted on the hood hinge; it is the 'switching' vacuum that opens the valve on decel and allows some air into the engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: