Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

R.I.P Mark Herbert
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: R.I.P Mark Herbert Reply with quote

I just read on the Cal-Look Forum, that longtime VW racer and all-around nice guy, Mark Herbert, died last night in an auto accident. Mark was the owner of the world-famous "SSB" (aka Super Sh*t Box) the ratty, rusted, crusty, nasty-looking 1965 VW (or what was left of a 1965 VW) that ran low 11's, street driven, and who contributed a lot to the VW high performance scene.
I'll never forget calling Mark, and telling him that yes, we wanted to do a feature on his "SSB"- no April Fool's joke, no small black and white photos, a real, 3-page color spread, text and everything, feature on his car... he was quite amused that the world had taken notice of his car, and it even made the cover of Ultra VW Magazine in the UK...Mark was also the person in the immaculate black Cal-Look car in the now-famous (or is that infamous) "Quaife test" video.
Mark had an impact on a lot of people's lives. His sage advice when it came to engine building, and other aspects of hi-po VW's, will be remembered for a very very long time.
To the whole remaining Herbert family, my hearfelt condolences go out to you.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condolences all around. Godspeed Mark.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
scatshifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge, loss to the vw scene!!! condolences from the uk. R.I.P. mark
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see an early death. Condolences Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never met Mark, but I remember many of his discussions on the old CLF. Very knowledgeable and friendly person, he will truely be missed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The video of the Quaife test in his black car is legend.
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I was at Nick's Burgers last night, but left before the accident. I am truely saddend by the news. Mark was a nice guy that always offered help and advice and never looked down at anyone.

A loss for his family and the entire VW community.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Esky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condolences to the whole Herbert familiy and a prayer for the lady injured in the vehicle that was also hit. A huge loss for the VW community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tragic loss anytime... bound to dampen some spirits at the weekend festivities out there.

Raise a toast for the man and what he did for the hobby/sport.

Heartfeldt thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP Mark.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only met mark once but he was a really nice guy. always so helpful with engine questions. he will be greatly missed and his death is a huge loss to the performance vw scene.

RIP mark, i will miss you.
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences ....
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that "Street Racing" is wrong. Let this be a lesson to everyone to do it on the track.

As stated... this sux for everyone. The women was a victim and deserves our prayers also. But let's remember how Mark lived, not how he died.

There will be a time to talk about the dangers and consequences of making bad choices. This is just not the time.

RIP.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the guy and from what I gather, super knowlegdeable in the field, but what exactly happened up to the point of meeting his demise? I went over to cal-look but didn't find really anything. Dave
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubcrazy wrote:
I didn't know the guy and from what I gather, super knowlegdeable in the field, but what exactly happened up to the point of meeting his demise? I went over to cal-look but didn't find really anything. Dave

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_161111058.html

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Gary L.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spookymulder wrote:
I'm all for honoring people, but let's be fair and tell all those doing the honoring the whole story, so they can comprehend the full weight of the deed that not only killed Mark but nearly killed an innocent motorist. For a guy that did alot of racing on the track who at 46 was old enough to know better, illegal street racing caused his untimely death and put the person he ran into in ICU in the hospital. That is and forever will be part of his epitath!

I hear what you are saying, but this isn't the time. Yes, it's a bad deal, but don't let the last thing that he did be the one thing that everyone remembers.
veedubcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
veedubcrazy wrote:

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_161111058.html

Well, crap!!! Confused
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough of the negativity, this thread should be a celabration of the mans life, and a chance to talk about what a genuine human being Mark was. We all make mistakes, unfortunately Marks was fatal, but that will not be how I remember him. I will remember a person who would help out anyone at anytime. There are not enough people like Mark in this world!
RIP Mark Herbert
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just pissed because of all the ways buy it, racing a fucking rice burner would not be my first choice. Good luck man.
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will always remember Mark as a guy that would help out anybody anytime with his vast knowlegde of VW motors (and Buicks). He was a guy that never talked down or negatively towards anybody. I feel lucky to know him. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Herbert family and driver of the Nissan.
biggene
Samba Hillbilly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out about this from opensunroof and dmnclnr last night at Blackstar, and have to say I am horribly saddened by this. I have unopened email in my Yahoo inbox from Mark about what to do with the set of CB044's I bought for my 1914. I have been talking back and forth to Mark for 6 months about how to best build the new engine for my 67 I am restoring.

Mark was one of the guys I was looking forward to meeting while I was out in Cali for the classic, and I hope he knows he will be sorely missed by the entire community. My heartfelt condolences go out to his entire family and hope they can remember Mark the way he was, full of life and always willing to go the extra mile to be a "VW" guy. Mark was one of the guys who would go out of his way to help any, and everyone who was involved or wanted to be involved in VW world.

Once again, thanks Mark for every piece of advice you gave me and know that your spirit will live on in the community.

You will be sorely missed, rest in peace bro

Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent contacted anyone about this, but I think it would be a good idea to take a little cruise in his honor.. He would have been at burger express tuesday night as he always was!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: