Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fram Filter
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aitor11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Fram Filter Reply with quote

I dont know where to put this, so cause i own a 63, ill put it here.

Every time im looking for vw info, pictures, etc, i found references to the FARM filter, the Judson Supercharger and Okrasa engines, about the last two i have found interesting things, but the filter, it was originally for porsches?, when is used on VWs engines how is conected?, back in the 60s, was used on 1200 - 1600 engines?, if some one have literature or anything, i would like to read it, or know about your experiences, thanks.

Aitor

Last edited by aitor11 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you reffering to a FRAM filter? Never heard of a FARM filter..... Rolling Eyes
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fram filter... (not farm)... it's a bypass oil filter (i.e.: does not filter all of the oil all of the time, but does work to a degree... and definitely better than nothing).

for VWs, the filter was originally used in VW performance kits (okrasa, judson) and VW-esque sports cars (denzel, etc.) with a specific bracket and fittings per application... you can order okrasa lines and fittings from steph here on the samba (http://mrwob.com/) and you can find NOS fram filters in the classifieds quite often. this would give you an easy to install combination.

the same style filter was used on 356 porsches... a few brands seemed to have been used, but are all very simlilar in style and shape (fram, H-filter and mann... different colors, too, but use the same filter element). the bracket for the porsche filter sits lower on the shroud, but is useable... it's how i have mine set up. click the link below for pictures.

to be honest, the bypass filter isn't nearly as effective as a full-flow filter and is used today mainly for aesthetics (as mine is). it is likely not worth the money and hassle unless you're going for a certian look with your car. from a performance aspect, look for a modern full-flow kit from gene berg, empi or CBperformance, etc...
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car! Shocked I like the Porsche look in the engine compartment. Is that a real vert decklid? Do you have any problems with water getting in there?

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...)
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... vert lid by rob de la grange... a very (very) well-crafted piece. water does get in there, but so far not a problem. the car stays parked outside (no garage), but covered...

on topic: another nice thing about the bypass filter is 1/2 quart more oil capacity and a bit (not a lot, but some) extra oil-cooling. again, not a good as a deep sump, full flow and enhanced cooling system, but better than stock.
aitor11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry was too late yesterday, is FRAM not FARM, thanks a lot for the replyes, i have never seen one of that filters here in Venezuela, but a guy told me he has two, only the filters, to what do you think i have to pay attention if i can buy one?, hlwimmer the kit you talk about on your reply will fit nice on my 1600 single port (in a 63 hardtop)?

I own a willyz m38a1 is a army jeep, mine is a 56, it use that kind of filters and how you said is better than nothing!

Thanks

Aitor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pictures you see are on a 63, with a 1776 dual port. it will fit fine on your 63 -- providing you have dual carbs.

there are 2 parts: the filter holder (what you see) and the filter insert. you need both to get it working (in addition to the lines and fittings). you can buy the insert from most any porsche shop for about $6USD. there are also a number of fittings and bolts that can be bought from a porsche shop.

(https://secure.klasse356.com/catalog/ShowItems.asp?Category=EOS)

with all of the correct parts, the filter will fit fine on your VW. you'll need the canister (filter holder), the filter, the top gasket, the top-bolt washer, the mounting bracket and/or strap (from a VW okrasa kit or from a porsche), the inlet and outlet bolts (if your canister doesnt have them), outlet and inlet fittings to/from the block (included in steph's kit) , in and out oil lines (included in steph's kit) and some luck in finding all of them to piece together.

before you go down this road, make sure it's what you want otherwise, you could be in for a leaky mess (i.e.: if you're missing a gasket or washer)
aitor11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you talk about the kit i asume is this one (http://www.btinternet.com/~pre67vw/uploaded/okrcoolerhidef.jpg), you have that cooler placed that way too?,, i would like to ask another questions, my engine was a 1500 reconstructed by VW, and when i buyed the car we broke it the same day, so now it is a 1600 cause here we couldnt find any 1500 pistons, rings and cilinders, but it still has its original single port cams, i have a magazine that talks about Theo Deker and his single port 34pict double carburetors kits, so i would like to change my single carb for a setup like that, what kind of carburetors kits do i have to look, for a single port?, all the ones i found are for dual port engines, and im wondering what kind of transmision do you have on your car, mine is original and the car is a litle bit slow.
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. that's the kit. it has the lines and fittings. you need the filter housing (the can), the filter, bracket and housing fittings.

start another thread about single port carbs... i know there were some kadron manifolds made to fit single port heads... there are likely others.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: