Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW freinds INDEED
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: VW freinds INDEED Reply with quote

Wow, I have for the past few years checked out the SAMBA for parts and pics and stories. I recently decided to share some pics and add to a forum. I had no idea it would run on so long.
I have a friend that asked me if I would like to buy her 93 Eurovan a few years ago. She knows of my VW long running history. I let it pass not needing a project (high mile, crusty) van. My only vehicle is a 85 VW Cabriolet. I like to fish, haul compost, ect. The cabby works ok until either it is cold outside and I cant put the top down to through in the bags of leaves or have to borrow my bro's truck to haul a piece of plywood. So I finallly said to myself "GET IT." I have heard a couple different stories about the van. Her Mom said that the battery would just go dead at undetermined moments in time therefore the tow bills were adding up faster than gas bills. She really didn't talk bad about it (being seller). I don't know if it will ever be a dependable driver. I just need it to be my truck for local truck functions VS. a Cabriolet. I will conclude this broadcast with this message. If you accidentally touch a sharpie to the cloth headliner, Carb cleaner will take it right out. If you don't mind the smell for days to come. See pics in gallery as I havn't figured out how to post them in the forums yet.[/img]
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a set of replacement visors from some one parting a Eurovan. I see several posts and the used parts are extra cheap for those. I guess there is not a big market. So what ever you can't clean, just get fresh ones from a dead van.

Enjoy....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pic. I found that Brake parts cleaner won't even touch sharpie ink. On the other hand, Carb cleaner will remove it but inside the van the fumes are horrible and I could only do a small area before I felt funny. It will take a while. I would guess that not a lot of people have this problem.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heck DAVEURO I allways feel kinda funny after huffing carb cleaner so dont feel alone. Shocked Shocked Shocked
What I did find however was that if I hooked up an electric fan while using the cleaner, it helped move the fumes outa the way of my nostrals which did prevent me from feeling kinda funny but what the heck.
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got back at it today and did the "get a breath of fresh air and do some work and then get back out to exhale" method. I will have to get a fresh pic of the headliner. The headliner is near clean. I then unloaded a half a bottle of fabreeze in it to counter the smell. I haven't got as far as inspecting and tagging the beast so it is sitting in a freinds driveway. I have no driveway and it can't sit in front of my house without current plates. My neighbor (luckily my brother) will let me park it in his unused driveway. I think I will perform a faux tow job to get it home as I can't legally drive it home. Then I can just walk outside and work with it without having to drive across town just to tinker and repair it. Hey, Huffing is the intentional smelling of fumes. I just had to clean it and the huffing part was just a happy accident. Not Really, I am a GM Technician and get my full of fumes and I don't like to play with them although they can make you feel funny. Then it quickly becomes a headache. No more carbcleaner interior projects. I think I will use the spray paint fume method next time. Quicker and more painful. DAVEURO. LOVE, PEACE, MY HAIR IS FULL OF GREASE. Maybe the guy who worked on this van wrote that on the headliner.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: