Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So why did you do it??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmattp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

why do you own a bay window as upposed to a split window? Im just curious, because i'm going through a state of confusion of what VW i want next. ive already owned and driven a bug, thats all ive owned actually, but part of me wants a notchback, and part of me wants a bus, (for trips and hanging out, etc.) SO, i just wanted to know if the newer buses have any better features over the older ones. i had the carcass of a splittie once, but it was just a body, so i wouldnt know. Just tell me about your bus and why you like it over an older one. (i wish i could just go and explore a few different buses)
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

I drove a '64 through college and took it to Mazatlan for my 21st birthday. Now, over 25 years later, I drive a '71.

Reasons?

Roll down windows
Front disc brakes
Dual-port heads
12 volt system
Better on the highway
No dumb reduction gears
Pretty good value for the price
Comes with "normal" wheels (71 on up)
Not generally considered thief bait.

It's not an "us vs. them" or "my car is better than your car" situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

price of vhehicle and price of parts, someday when i have money i will have a split, but i will also have a bay.
lc
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

"It's not an "us vs. them" or "my car is better than your car" situation"

Maybe not for you or me... but it sure is for some!!!! LOL!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

I wanted a westfalia and the bay windows were affordable. No regrets here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

I use my Bay for camping, I do a lot of trips in the Bus so a Bay was the better option for size/room.
The offer major consideration was Cash, I had enough for a very nice Bay, or an poor to average, I also not the most technically minded so I have to pay to get a lot of work done, so a splittie just wouldnt have been practical.
Ryan
killbotpowerhead@hotmail.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:57 am    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

$price$, enough said
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

i have a 71, an early bay. I love the type 1 engine, it's easy to drop the engine, parts are cheap etc etc.

disk brakes, price of vechile....just fun to drive, i'm really tall.

do think that splits look neater but i go for functionality over looks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

Or have both worlds. I have '62 Kombi Swivel and am out looking for a bay as a daily driver(then it becomes my sons first bus when he gets his license). I had a '68 bay panel and loved it. But then too my Kombi compared to a bench or walkthru(knees 2" from dash) with the swivel seat my knees are 6"+ from the dash. So get one of each and you get to enjoy both worlds.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: So why did you do it?? Reply with quote

i found a very nice bay single cab for sale here in virginia. though i like splits, beggars can't be choosers...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: