Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio Doesn't work Just says SAFE
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Radio Doesn't work Just says SAFE Reply with quote

It doesn't actually talk but SAFE is what display reads. I know how to retrive the backup code from a GM vehicle but I don't know how to this to a 93 Euro. Anybody have any tips?
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the radio in our 93 ev quit coming on about 5 months ago... screen is blank, no lights, sound, etc.... fuse in the box is ok. I still haven't figured it out but then again, I haven't got under the dash to see if there is some plug that wiggled loose or something.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need the specific code for your radio. Any dealer can supply you with it. They need the radio serial #, you need to remove the radio to get the serial # on the side of the radio, or they will do it for you for a fee. trying two false codes in a row will lock the radio up for 60 minutes.
Syberia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time for an MP3 deck.
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I was thinkin when I hit the submit button.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later Vanagon factory radios had the ability for the user to set their own anti-theft code. Most people never bothered. The pre-set code was "1111". Try that, it might work. It worked for me in my '87.

The radio book that came with the glovebox owner's manual tells you how to enter the code. Let us know if you don't have this or don't know how to enter the code.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terryg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happens when it looses power. Take it to a VW dealer and they will fix it and give you the code - generally for free. Don't do like I did and write down the code but forget the mystic button pushes needed to enter it. Make sure your understand how to do this because it will happen everytime you replace a battery or remove a cable to do something. The code isn't like the Vanagon, it's based on the serial number of the radio or the van. They key it into some program and it gives back the number. They won't do it over the phone generally.
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: safe radio,,, what a joke. Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a Passat, that by the way is for sale, and what I did was to remove the radio for the model/serial #'s and there written on a piece of masking tape was the unlock code for the radio,,,,,surfed here there and everywhere for the procedure to unlock it and jumped thru every hoop they threw at me & it actually works now. sure wish there was a way to just de-activate it. Peace,,,Moosie
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
KaylaC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the password for your radio you hold down the two buttons on both sides of the radio, they should be buttons for the cassette just hold them down until the SAFE goes away and you'll see a blank screen thats when you type in the code then your radio should be working.
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading through the current subscription of Online Alldata at work today and it stated that a number of hoops must be jumped through before they will give out the code for 21 bucks. The security system in the radio can be turned off if I read it correctly but you need the code first. I hope I didn't waste to many peoples time but it is a cassette player and not really worthy of spending time and money on. It won't even hook up to my small sub without more issues. My brother said that his friend couldn't even give the radios away at the recent swap meet. I love the SAMBA and I will try to research subjects before ask all of you nice people.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stanagon! Mine turned out to be as you guessed - 1111. Saved me some grief. I just want the radio to work for a few weeks and that did it. Oh crap, now I've publicly posted my radio's security code. Better go out and release the hounds for the night...

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Thank you Stanagon! Mine turned out to be as you guessed - 1111. Saved me some grief. I just want the radio to work for a few weeks and that did it. Oh crap, now I've publicly posted my radio's security code. Better go out and release the hounds for the night...

DougM

Heading for Idaho now!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait - thought you were "floating around"?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealer & myself tried to get the code, had all the info they needed, #'s on radio, vin #,yr etc & no go, they gave up, me also. If u let it sit 4 a couple days without pwr u clear what u put in, u get 4 tries of 4 digits, after 16 digits it locks up.I may try it again on the bench but around '96 dealer had to restore code 4 owner so may be anything in there. Anyone try to jumper this function to inop state??If a schematic 4 this thing was available it would be a snap 4 me to do.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 99 passat would reset itself after something like 50 starts.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What buttons do you push to be able to then enter the code?

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have the optional parental censorship software installed on your radio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: