Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing rebuilt fuel injectors - worth it?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Installing rebuilt fuel injectors - worth it? Reply with quote

Dudes,

My '84 GL with a 2.2 Gowesty motor could use some additional maintenance love. I'm getting pretty crappy mileage....13-14.5 m.p.g no matter what I do. The vehicle is tuned, the spark plugs are shiny new, and the original fuel injectors have been cleaned with store bought cleaners that pour into the gas tank. I see that GoWesty sells rebuilt injectors for $ 50.00 a piece after core exchange. Do you dudes think it's worth it to put in the rebuilt injectors ? I'd like to smooth out my idle a bit (it's a touch rough) and increase my mileage a bit ( 1 or 2 m.p.g. would be great).

Thanks in advance dudes.........
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here and read up http://www.cruzinperformance.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth it. But not from GoWesty. Just have them cleaned and calibrated. As per above.

Your engine should be better go. You sure your O2 sensor is doing its thing? Are your idle and wide open throttle switches working right? Your timing set right? How fast do you drive? WHat kind of milage does GoWesty say you should get?

Even my heavy 85 Westy automatic gets better gas milage and I am on the original 187K injecotrs too.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed out my injectors with a set from another company and my mileage went from 16 to appx 21 miles per gallon. Thats freeway mileage traveling 50 miles per day at roughly 55-60 mph.
I tried the pour in the gas tank stuff but didnt really notice any increase in gas mileage until I replaced my 20 something year old injectors.Im kinda a tad goofey so I change the O2sensor every 20K miles and the O2 sensor was changed prior to the injectors, so I can comfortably say the injectors did increase the gas mileage. In my humble opinion its $$$$ well spent.
Best 2U,
RCB Orange Bus
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. I'll check the O2 sensor although it's only about 3,500 miles old. I do cruise at high speed when on the highway...4,000 r.p.m. which translates to 72 m.p.h. and I do a lot of stop and go city driving in Berkeley/Oakland. As for the other stuff, I guess I'll check it out...........again.......

I'm still bent on getting the injectors rebuilt so can anyone recommend a good shop in Northern California ?

Thanks all...... Wink
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Not all Injector Cleaners are Created Equal Reply with quote

I've heard from source after source that only two really work, and I've used them both. Results seem to be good.

The most famous is BG-44K, which is essentially a big pure shot of the injector cleaner the Feds require in all gasoline. It is EXPENSIVE, around $22 a can. A great many mechanics I respect, however, say it's the only product that actually DOES clean your injectors. Here's the URL:

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

Suggested use is in two tanks a year, 1 can to 15 gallons of gas, which works very well in a VW.

The only other product I've heard mentioned with anything near the same amount of reverence is Chevron Techron, which contains the Stoddard Solvent they used in the old radial engines of World War II. You want to talk hard use...

Cheapest place to get it is at Wal-Mart, I've gotten it for $8 a bottle, the size that treats 12 gallons. Here's a URL for that:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/additives/concentrate_plus.shtml

I ran both of them a tank apart through Winston when I first got him. He hadn't been run regularly for two years, and had a gas tank full of rust and water. The result?

Purrrrrrrrr...

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're on top of this, but I'll mention it anyway, just in case... Wink because it can make such a big difference.
If your tire pressure is well below the max that can cost you at least 5 mpg.
Whatever the max on your tire wall says, inflate em to about 95 % of that. I run 63 pounds in mine.
btw, a new temp 2 sensor is only 19 bucks, and can cause a lot of problems.
Don't even need to bleed the system after switching it out, quick and easy.
How's the inside of your tail pipe look ? Heavy carbon build-up from running rich?
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....my to do list is now HUGE just on this subject alone......cool

The funny thing is that I decided today that within a years time......I'm going to install a Subaru engine !!!!!!!!!

But in the meantime I want this 2.2 to run the best it can so thanks again everyone for your suggestions.........
kristopher staller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your fuel pressure. If the regulator starts to relax (and psi increases), the ecomony will start to suffer. If it is an adjustable regulator, try dialing down the pressure and see if it makes a difference.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristopher staller wrote:
Check your fuel pressure. If the regulator starts to relax (and psi increases), the ecomony will start to suffer. If it is an adjustable regulator, try dialing down the pressure and see if it makes a difference.

Not this but next weekend (July 1st) I'll give it a shot......as well as all the other things

thanks...
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a data point for your particular engine. I've also got the GW 2.2L in my Westy. I get 16-17 in town and 20-21 hwy @ about 65mph. I ended up replacing virtually every component of my fuel injection system for various reasons. I sent my injectors to Cruzin Performance for cleaning and calibrating. They were in pretty bad shape but they came back working very well. Well worth the money spent.

One other thing to check for your rough idle would be ALL of the engine grounds. Mine idled roughly, even after the extensive FI repairs until I cleaned all the grounds. Worked like a champ.

If you decide to follow through on your Subaru conversion, you should have little trouble selling your GW engine. They seem to have a pretty good reputation from the majority of posts I've read here. I sure like mine.

Good Luck Cool
'96 BMW R1100GS
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
Just to add a data point for your particular engine. I've also got the GW 2.2L in my Westy. I get 16-17 in town and 20-21 hwy @ about 65mph. I ended up replacing virtually every component of my fuel injection system for various reasons. I sent my injectors to Cruzin Performance for cleaning and calibrating. They were in pretty bad shape but they came back working very well. Well worth the money spent.

One other thing to check for your rough idle would be ALL of the engine grounds. Mine idled roughly, even after the extensive FI repairs until I cleaned all the grounds. Worked like a champ.

If you decide to follow through on your Subaru conversion, you should have little trouble selling your GW engine. They seem to have a pretty good reputation from the majority of posts I've read here. I sure like mine.

Good Luck Cool

The cleaning up of all the grounds is first on my list because

A. On a vehicle this old it should be done anyway
B. It's FREE.....sort of
C. I suspect it's a principle cause of my rough idle......I hope....I hope.... Pray

Thanks for the mileage information; it's VERY helpful. As a side note, sometime AFTER I bought my GoWesty engine.....GoWesty started making rebuilt injectors a standard item on their rebuilds........it seems like I can only win having mine done.....
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the milage in the milage thread. See the stickies for the URL.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The injector's that are in your Van, are sealed units and really can't be "rebuilt".

All that can be done to them is cleaned, and pressure tested.

$50.00 per injector seems a bit high to just have them cleaned.

If your Van is getting poor fuel economy, check your throttle postioning switch (s)
If it isn't set up right the ECU won't know where the throttle plate is, and will cause the engine to run super rich.

The oxy sensor would be the next place to check out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: