Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque & PSI equivalency for air compressor & air ra
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Torque & PSI equivalency for air compressor & air ra Reply with quote

Is there a chart somewhere that shows air compressor PSI equivalency for torque/foot pounds?

For instance, is 125 PSI on my air compressor enough torque to put on my lug bolts with an air rachet? How about the alternator fan bolt?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no chart to convert PSI from your compressor to torque. The amount of torque is tool depedent. My 1hp compressor will remove a 150FT LB nut secured with Red loctite with an Impact Wrench.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about a chart, but I would not use an air ratchet to put on your lug nuts. 85-90 ft.lbs. is correct. If you use an air ratchet/impact hammer it is really easy to over torque and stretch the nuts out. I always use my trusty click-type torque wrench with lug nuts, or anything needing a torque spec for that matter.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap torque wrench is great for lug nuts and all kinds of parts that you should be using a torque wrench on. Good torque wrenchs are expensive, and great for building engines but not needed for the average DIY'r.

Air rachets are not very good for anything besides quickly disassembling an engine or part. I would not use them to tighten anything except for the most meaningless part...too inaccurate and easy to overtorque.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the have torque sticks for your impact gun, that will give you acurrate torque will using your impact.

http://www.torquestick.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disassembly is what I use Impacts for. Anything that is important gets torqued.

Watch your hands if your using chrome sockets for impacts. If the socket is worn/chipped, a slice of chrome will do a number on your hand.
Arky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I ordered a 90 foot lbs. torque stick.

I never thought about stretching the lug bolts out. I was only thinking about getting them tight enough.

I've used the impact wrench 2-3 times now on my bug and bus at 125 psi. Should I replace the lug bolts? Any way to tell if they've been stretched? I'm guessing it will be unnoticable to the eye.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does the Torque Stick work? It breaks off at full torque? Or does the girl stand there and tell you when to stop?
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would take quite a bit of force to stretch them, unless you are cranking on them with a (true) 300+ ft lb impact wrench... Usually overtorquing the bolts will pull the threads or warp the drum/rotor.

2 hands on a 4-way lug wrench is plenty of torque. If you need to put wheels on faster than a 4-way lug wrench, you shouldn't be working on a VW in my opinion. I can use a 4-way at least as fast as an air ratchet (slow compared to a impact!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the torque is really just equal on all lugs not exact.you can actually break them by using them in reverse.i would use a torque wrench ,not the stick.it is designed for a saleable product to consumers like arky who read and beleive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque sticks are not accurate. They will torque a nut/bolt to different specs depending on how long you use it (how long you pull the trigger on your air gun), how many PSI you're running, what impact gun you're using, how worn your gun is, and how worn the torque stick is. I use them every day to get lug nuts/bolts close, and then I set the car on the ground and torque the wheels by hand.

The difference between the torque sticks are their thicknesses. 55 lbs will be a lot thinner than 100 lbs, and thats thinner than 140 lbs, etc etc.
Arky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yupp, I have to admit I'm pretty gullible. But thanks to all you pros I've learned a lot. I'll have fun playing with the torque stick anyway.

Note to self: Stop buying things you don't need!
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arky wrote:

Note to self: Stop buying things you don't need!

aaaaahahaha! Good luck with that one! Very Happy
I've tried, it just doesn't seem to happen.
Arky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I used the 90lbs torgue stick over the weekend and found that it didn't matter how long I held down the trigger on my impact gun or how much psi I applied, it does not turn the bolts any further.

I was surprised to find the torque stick is a solid 1/2" extension with no moving parts. I expected some type of rachet on the end that stopped turning at 90lbs.

Since I have limited understanding of ?physics? is there a smart body here who can explain for the simple minded how the length and thickness of the torque stick limits torque?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So how does the Torque Stick work? It breaks off at full torque? Or does the girl stand there and tell you when to stop?

Exactly what I was wondering. Maybe it twists or something. Maybe it just absorbs the impact after a certain rated psi?
Arky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't twist (I thought it would too). It is a solid piece of metal, just like a 1/2" extension. The torque limitation is something to do with the length and thickness (sound familiar? Wink ).

The girl was NOT included!
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro-in-law owns a tire shop and has the whole set of torque sticks. They operate by the same principle as the rear torsion bars in your bus. I think you have to set a certain PSI/CFM/whatever on your compressor and/or wrench for them to work properly, though.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it, check the input pressure specs for your impact wrench/air ratchet. Mine both set at 90psi. I blew the guts out of my palm nailer with 120psi. Costs more to rebuild than I paid for the damn thing...
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: