Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An Unusual Flat Tire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: An Unusual Flat Tire Reply with quote

My wife called me at work today and said the tire was leaking air when she pulled into the driveway and that she thought she had ran over something on the freeway. When I got there I knew right away it was no nail, but I couldn't figure out what it was because only a little pointed tip was sticking out.

I started with the needle nose pliers but had to get the locking vice grips to pull out this "nail". I'm sure you can imagine my suprise when I saw the 3/4 marking as I pulled this out of my brand new tire:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A frickin' 3/4" drill bit! That sucker went in backwards too! As I look at these pictures again I know it looks fake, but that sucker was buried over 5" into my tire. I love these BFG's and am now even more in love with them as they probably saved my wife's and 2 kids lives. Any other tire, and definetly the old pair I had on there would have blown up and shredded at 60MPH when that sucker hit the tire.

I'm happy to say that I was able to patch up the hole and it has held air for the last 12 hrs. Tomorrow I am going to the tire store and having them pull the tire and fix it the right way.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy Confused
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pulled some crazy stuff out of tires in my days at a tire shop. One time pulled a 15mm craftsman combo wrench out of the sidewall of a truck tire. Also had animal bones a few times. Nasty! Can the bit be made sharp again? The sears folks didn't mind swapping the wrench I found for a new one Very Happy
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a pair of adjustable pliers through tire and back out the inside of rim. My favorite was the "one-hitter" marijuana pipe, blunt end first. The nite before I watched a special on new police tacticts with stop strips. They went to hollow spikes to let the air out slightly slower than shredding it to get someone to stop. I ended up giving it to a freind who knew what to do with it besides letting air out of tires. At least you can bore a 3/4 inch hole now. Sorry about the tire.
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets stranger.....

My sister in law (my wife's sister) called from Atlanta and said she ran over a drill bit the same night as my wife! What are the chances of that.

CRAZY.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear the right way to fix it would be to make a swing out of the tire. If the 3/4" part got into the belts, it would have cut a lot of plies. I suppose the tire tech will be able to see the damage on the inside.
Goos luck.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brooklynvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack he post, but this is what happened to my tire yesterday:

I thought the suspension was going out it was rattling real bad on the highway, so I pulled over and discovered the source of the rattle.

quite a tumor!!
at least the sidewalls held out...

I guess this is what happens to tires when they sit for too long. I've only had the van 6 mos, and the PO had it sitting for 2 years. I have no idea how old the tires are.

I've been waiting to replace them until I find a set of 15" mercedes steel rims, as I'd rather switch. anyone have any????

I guess I'll be driving on the mismatched spare for a little bit, no long trips though.
RIP 1986 Saab turbo
and my daily commuter: a Bicycle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowesty wrote:
It gets stranger.....

My sister in law (my wife's sister) called from Atlanta and said she ran over a drill bit the same night as my wife! What are the chances of that.

CRAZY.

Shocked Now that's really weird.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost a couple of drill bits lately.

Anyone find them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklynvan wrote:
Not to hijack he post, but this is what happened to my tire yesterday:

I thought the suspension was going out it was rattling real bad on the highway, so I pulled over and discovered the source of the rattle.

quite a tumor!!
at least the sidewalls held out...

I guess this is what happens to tires when they sit for too long. I've only had the van 6 mos, and the PO had it sitting for 2 years. I have no idea how old the tires are.

I've been waiting to replace them until I find a set of 15" mercedes steel rims, as I'd rather switch. anyone have any????

I guess I'll be driving on the mismatched spare for a little bit, no long trips though.

It's been a tough week, and I guess I desperately needed something on the lighter side, but this made me laugh so hard, I'm printing it out so I can post on my refrigerator.

Beautiful.

Michael J
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a cordless drill that little munchkin has inside there...

bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL- illegal leprechaun smuggling

"aye, me wee little friend, when you get across the border, use the drill to make an escape hole... but only once the wheel has stopped going around and around."
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
slowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Update:

The tire fix stuff I carry, the plug system, held up amazingly well for having a 3/4" hole in the tire. Only a little air leaked after a couple days. I took it to the tire store yesterday and they patched it up right.

I recommend carrying some of the flat fixer stuff in your rig. This is what I used, and keep in my van at all times:

http://www.slimesealant.com/product.php?product=1034A
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: