Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

exhaust leaks and backfiring
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: exhaust leaks and backfiring Reply with quote

what shade tree method can be used to determine whether a mild exhaust leak is occuring at the joint between the muffler and heater boxes?
AndyM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard............that if ya stick a potato in your tail pipe............you can hear the gasses escape in a different location...........I heard...........sumpin like that.......maybe.
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyM wrote:
I've heard............that if ya stick a potato in your tail pipe............you can hear the gasses escape in a different location...........I heard...........sumpin like that.......maybe.

Just be careful when that potato decides to shoot out! Not really good for the exhaust system/engine... If there is a leak there you should be able to feel it on your hand. That is what I usually do if I can reach the area in question. When in doubt, a new gasket is the best way to go.

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuff a rag over the tailpipe(s) and feel for whooshing air from the joint with your hand. If backfiring is your symptom, I would be looking at your valve adjustment, and your idle mixture. In my experience, resealing the exhaust has never cured a backfire, only muffled it some.
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that its usually something in the ignition, and i have had the sputting with valves being off. this time [in the sunroof] the dwell is spot on and the timing perfect. then just to really fuck up the data i moved out the 30/31 and introduced the doka's 30pict2.

the 30pict2 performed adequately in the doublecab with an 034, not better as expected with the 035 dist in the sunroof. it wobbles at the lowest rpm's which annoys me. with the 30/2 idle in the sunroof lives at 950 but spikes to 1050-1100, or drops to the high 800's at idle. didn't seem that jumpy in the doublecab.

its hard to see myself going back to what are condisdered opposed carb/dist pairings. the 035 with its different vacuum scheme was to be the savior with either carb; but better so i thought with the 30/2.

nevertheless, the sputting was still noticeable once the engine warmed. both carbs were givien many test options so that there was little to no chance of running too lean or rich. it has to be an exhaust leak and i'll just have to go through it. i'll reswap carbs and retorque all the exaust nuts i can reach with new copper nuts - been meaning to use copper in the first place. my helper will be around soon to hold the rag while i investigate.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
it has to be an exhaust leak and i'll just have to go through it. i'll reswap carbs and retorque all the exaust nuts i can reach with new copper nuts -.

You can usually see the places where the exhaust is exiting. It will discolor the area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo wrote:
i agree that its usually something in the ignition,

well maybe youve got too hot a plug I suppose, are you using Bosch W8AC?

Quote:
it wobbles at the lowest rpm's which annoys me.

check for a worn distributor shaft or wandering advance plate?

Quote:
with the 30/2 idle in the sunroof lives at 950 but spikes to 1050-1100, or drops to the high 800's at idle. didn't seem that jumpy in the doublecab.

check for worn throttle shafts?
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, using that bosch plug,
the dist worked well enough with the 30/31,
and the bottom throtle shaft i reefed about a quarter turn.

still the same. since the bus is less responsive, and wanders so at idle i'm swapping things back and expect the sputs to continue regardless. on all todays test drives i found stalling at stops, most often downhill stops. the lack of response is something i had found in the doublecab and now see that its carburation. first gear with the 30/2 showed lame on both rides. not a worry - its early.

ray, no signs of carbon build yet. does have an unusually throaty to me sound at the tail pipe that i am not excited about. i had a bunch of carbon on the bumper before the re-ring. seems i put it back together better at that spot [damper to muffler], until i heard the sput backfires mentioned earlier.

EDIT: i was adjusting the carb wrongly. things have changed.

it's kooky to me: on the 30/2 one has to way out the one and only screw to maximum rpm and wind it down by using the idle set screw. going from fuel injection to more "complicated" carbs, to this its, well kooky. better for me is what it is. i've got much better idle at 850+/- 15-20rpm, and my test drive was sweet. the 30/2 worked fine on the doublecab, but its staying on the sunroof now. next, to mate the 30/31 with the 034. fweem.

2xed. backfiring all gone, cool runnings. who wants a potato... Rolling Eyes
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so idle mixture cured it?

good to hear it, enjoy.
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem.. sticatto backfiring on decel... especially cold engine, going downhill... on my brown bus.

I have a friend who's a VW mechanic.. ran it by his shop today. He immediately thought exhaust leak. Stuffed a rag into the tail pipe with a 2 X 4 to hold it (it was hot!) and felt exhaust coming out of the area to the left of the muffler. Said a gasket or flange was missing. Said, it's a simple fix, 8 bolts. He actually moved the gasket a little bit that was in there and it's much better.. but of course no fix.

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the 99c store.
Get a pack of playing cards.
Hold the card near suspected leak points.

You *will* feel the leak if it's there. Great for pinpointing which cylinder is leaking at the heads too.

Which reminds me, I need to do this next weekend on the Guac. Sounds like a split now!

Shocked Twisted Evil
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you use the joker card just for the heck of it. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IFBwax wrote:
I bet you use the joker card just for the heck of it. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I mean??? Shocked

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: