Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HOT motor
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: HOT motor Reply with quote

I have a stock 1500 that I stripped the tin work off of and cleaned up and reasembled with a cheap chrome 36hp style non-doghouse fan assembly. The motor never ran hot before. Now it is. Does these cheap 36hp style shrouds make that much difference? Oh yea, I also went from a stock exhaust to a header. The carb is a 28PICT. Don't know the main jet size, but I did not change it. How can I tell if it is running too lean with the new header system? Don't say change the carb because the old "round bowl" carbs are my favorite by far.
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You betcha. They suck.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrade to the doghouse type fan housing. Much better.

All you need is the seal adaptors to mount the late oil cooler.

It will be nice if the motor can get a nice engine cleaning and wash.

If it is covered in mud/oil I will not expect it to stay cool running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you keep the heat exchangers or go to J-tubes when you added the header? Leaving them on but without heater tube airflow can overhead your heads.

Internal airflow is probably different between the 36HP and later motors--you probably have hot spots as well as overall overheating.
Vayabroder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Housing Reply with quote

As nsracing said, if you can go with the doghouse system ('71 and later) or if you don't have the funds stay with the stock. Even the non-doghouse stock units work very very well as compared to the aftermarket units. Also try to keep all the factory tin and make sure all rubber seals in the engine compartment are in good shape. The factory design engineers designed the system like that for a reason.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: