Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sorry - How much?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SNAP! You got me Linda! Me dispiace!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
zimblewinder wrote:
no glass, seats, grab bar, dash, bumpers, engine, trim, lights, hubcaps, pedal pan, headliner, rag, semaphores, umm what else

Glass - $500?
Seats - $3000?
Grab bar - $500?
Dash - $500?
Bumpers - $1000?
Engine - $2500?
Trim - $1000?
Lights - $1000?
Hubcaps - $100?
Pedal pan - $150?
Headliner - $2000?
Ragtop - $3000?
Semaphores - $500?

Other:
Reflectors, mirror/visor, rear luggage bar, floor mats, dash pods, radio, kick panels, upholstery work, rubber seals, jailbars, front emblem, and so on.

Forget $20K... I'm sure you could hit $30K before paint and body starts.

I guess if the maximum price right now for a Barndoor Deluxe is $80-$90K, it might still be worth it.

yes, big money on parts

it seems to me most people don't seem to appreciate bd part prices until they have a bd (i didn't, but i'm glad i took the plunge)
its only then that most start really looking at parts, paying a bit more attention, & it hits them how deep they're in

i'd say most bd owners have never owned one before

same with any rarer VW (ie an early Westfalia), i guess
i have an awareness of Westy parts that are valuable, but it wouldn't be until i had one that i'd start to get really tuned in

generally, the #1 rule has got to be go for as solid a shell as possible, hasn't it? nice interior & completeness is secondary
the connoisseur craves a high score for all 3, but in the meantime that desirable VW gets sold!
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it works like this, I tried to buy parts from him before but he would only offer full busses and, like I said theyre cactus Laughing . Im going to sift through those later and see if theres anything rare amongst them just in case but for the most theyre scrap value only.

The BD delux was not offered but as he's not interested in busses any more (so he said) and I reckon he'll be dead before he gets around to them, Im sure a deal could be struck. Being his tentative nature and my instinct for preserving a good chance, the camera wont come out until I have a deal and the busses are on my tandem trailer; sorry everyone.

The single cab he offered up for slim pickings cos he thinks its trash, I told him how I could use it to make sure the delux gets on the road. He didnt mind that idea (you could see him pondering it) so Ill stick around and make sure he knows Im interested. He's reclusive so while Im in his good graces Ive got time.

Ill let you know if I score but I dont see it happening all that soon. Its nice to have "a find" to sit on. As for the resto price, Im hoping he's got alot more of the bus around in boxes. And Ive got the patience to get there. If youve seen my 23 window progress you can see Im in it for the long haul.

Cheers
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbo Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you buy it, I have a set of Barndoor Deluxe front bumper trim for sale. Yes, Barndoor and not the shorter 55-58 stuff. Complete with OG rubber and in pretty good condition. You can then check one item off your long list! Open to sensible offers Exclamation
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
the camera wont come out until I have a deal and the busses are on my tandem trailer; sorry everyone.

sounds like a smart guy to me Very Happy
musclebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo Bug wrote:
if you buy it, I have a set of Barndoor Deluxe front bumper trim for sale. Yes, Barndoor and not the shorter 55-58 stuff. Complete with OG rubber and in pretty good condition. You can then check one item off your long list! Open to sensible offers Exclamation

Turbo Bug....you have pm Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Cacti Reply with quote

It sounds like it just might be meant to be, and there's a lot more barn door "cacti" waiting to be discovered and used for parts than dry bodies. Scoop it if you can.

BB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: