Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weld new front clip or straighten old ?!?(pics)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Weld new front clip or straighten old ?!?(pics) Reply with quote

I thought I was just going to weld on new front apron and be painting soon, wishfull thinking. Rolling Eyes I took off the front fenders and found a worse situation than I thought. As you can see next to a replacement clip I got for free the front end took a good smack. Mad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The driver side doesn't look much better.

I have a new WW apron, was thinking I might try to straighten the original metal out with come along or something? You see my OG clip was donated free 'cause it is pretty rusty crusty, I know I could get new tire well too but the seal edge is rotted bad. Any input?

It looks like this all around. Yuck.
Santos Tamez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same situation with my 65. I have the clip complete with tire well. I found that my factory stamp indicates the correct body on the correct chassis. I do not want to cut it out to put a replacement in.
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWjedi, if i were you i would section out that front clip, if you have the donor clip cut past the gas tank, i would section the front clip through the middle of where the gas tank is. That area is a nice spot to do that, if done correctly it is almost undetectable and what you end up with is a clean, wrinkle free front end.....the donor you have looks pretty rusty so i would opt to find a new donor clip if possible, because trying to fix those wrinkles can be a big pain.

Last edited by Matt K. on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could allways drill out the rivets on the Vin plate and remount, not really my issue here. I have heard horror stories about the after market front clips so only wanted to weld on an OG one, this one is straight but rusty as hell! Rolling Eyes

Just got back from hardware store with eye bolts, ratchet cable puller, new Saw Zall blades and a big fu*king hammer. Cool

Please call 911 if I don't check back within an hour.
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input MattK, I have it cut from mid. gas tank, I do have a wrinkle free front end but it is far from "clean". Shocked

I am going to see what damage I can do, go to plan B if it looks to shade tree. Wink
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I straightened my front clip and it was worse than that. I'd fix it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on Jedi, that clip isn't that bad, a little schmutz and she's good as new Very Happy had it been the correct one for my '60 I probably would have tackled redoing it!

So-how goes the the pulling and hammering??? I would break out the laquer thinner and a bunch of rags and clean off all that undercoating, so it will be easier to work with. Mine was folded back farther than yours on the drivers side (enough to crease the quarter panel) and I got it all pulled/hammered like we talked about, its not cherry on the inner panel but it will do.

Heres some of my "high quality" photos of the latest, yes the fenders DO line up, They are just hanging on there with 2 bolts, safer on the car than loose in my wreck of a garage right now Very Happy

markm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it right the first time. Cut that shit out and weld in new pieces. Otherwise, everytime you open the frunk, you will see how fucked up the front end is. Just my .02.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mario J G
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your Idea for straightening your original front is a good one. It looks like you should be an easy fix if you bolt the come-along to the bottom hole and pull slowly while hammering at the creases. understand there has been a little stretching so you want to hammer both forward and back.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to www.sv2s.com/rafflebug.php we straightened out the front end and it shows how we did it. pyroman was the culprit. i was awol that day. Very Happy
work day 5 ,but lots of info on repairs to a beetle on /in those pictures. 10 days.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Bill that pretty much looks like what I was up to this afternoon, thanks for the input. Cool

Markus, glad to see some progress on the Euro, she is looking good! I didn't know WW was pressing Euro aprons too. You guys are giving me plenty of confidence that this will turn out pretty good. In a perfect world I have a spotless and straight OG front clip and a shop that looks like OCC's to do metal work Wink

But reality is I have a rusty clip, a mig welder, a cable ratchet and a well placed tree in the front yard. This is the progress thus far, it actually came along pretty well, the spare clip worked great as a "stencil" to take measurments from amid the pulling and wacking.

Force=mass x velocity squared. Energy=mass x speed of light squared.

Makes me want to build a rat-rod. Very Happy
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm for getting a better clip and doing it right... you could straighten what you have out and maybe make a good one from the rusty donor clip, but you would spend alot less time and have a better job if you get a good clip first.

There are some shots in my gallery of clip jobs.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finished it up this morning, the dents pulled out pretty decent, you can tell there has been work done when looking inside spare tire well but looks hella better than b4.

Welds ground down, black primer and hood matches up alot better now.

Driver side hood seam is pretty well lined up too. Black primer helps hide the shade tree body work. Wink

This bug will never win best of show, but the front is done and now moving on to next step for under $50. Thanks for the help/advice. Markus thanks for the clip, can I give it back now? Razz
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Markus thanks for the clip, can I give it back now?

Absalutely...NOT! But maybe you should pass that thing onto another Vdubber', Its making it way around FL From Orlando down to Englewood, up to Gainsville, where to next?

BTW looks good, you were alot better off than me, that whole edge on the drivers side where the apron attaches to the side was flat out mangled and folded over on mine, It took me forever to get that edge straight enough to get everything to line back up, your definitly came out "purtier" than mine did!
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your clip doesn't look bad to me at all, I would just yank it out & straighten as much as possible with a hammer. You should have seen the clip on my old 64, it had been hit & pounded out so many times that it had numerous cracks everywhere, most of the front clip from the gas tank forwards was being held on mostly by the fenders. I just welded everything up & pounded everything straight. I really should have replaced it though.... Embarassed
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanered- If you need a front clip I have one here with your name on it mang! A little more than a few miles away though. Laughing

It is free though if anyone wants it, come and get it, it will be stored lovingly a short toss into the woods across the street. Wink
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, I wish shipping wasn't so expensive!!!! I don't have the red 64 with the welded & hammered front end anymore, now I have a black one with a smashed front end with pieces cut out of it! Damn POs! (My grandma) hahaha.
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Linky No Worky! Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
go to www.sv2s.com/rafflebug.php we straightened out the front end and it shows how we did it. pyroman was the culprit. i was awol that day. Very Happy
work day 5 ,but lots of info on repairs to a beetle on /in those pictures. 10 days.

Linky No Worky!
Miichael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 65 has similer wrinkles
i am either going to pound them out
or just cut them out and weld in

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: