Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

standard bus heater tube
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: standard bus heater tube Reply with quote

i did a search, but there were many topics with "heater" in it. i don't have the dough for a middle and back seat yet. so, i'm going with the next best thing for now, a z-bed. what is the proper way to remove the backseat heater tube on a 67? pics? spot weld locations? i'd rather not hack it off with the sawzall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would probably be better off to hack the floor of the Z Bed rather than hack your bus. Z-beds are disposable.
You should be able to modify the floor of the bed (cut big hole) to be able to fit it over your heater log and still secure it with the factory mounts.
I had a Z-bed in my 65, it and the heater log got along just fine!

You can do eeeeet!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are using a westfalia bed, then you can just cut two thin slots in the wood on the bottom and slide it under the log. much easier and cleaner than hacking out the log.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cut the tube. I am in the process of putting one back in my bus.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not get some bay window seats and put in temp. until you get the correct seats. they are cheap. you can cut the center leg on the rear seat and it will clear the heater log. i like lind's suggestion too if you insist on using the z-bed

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another person who had to have the tube re-installed, here is another recommendation to cut the Z-bed, not the tube.

The tube is not spot-welded in, it has a large bead around it. Cut this bead and the whole thing will pull out. It only goes through the floor a small amount.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since it is not spot welded, I will not cut it. thanks guys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: