Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wow.....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Wow..... Reply with quote

I cannot believe that this guy lives in California and recommends swapping the FI for carbs.... totally illegal:
"I also recommend changing your fuel injected 75-79 bus to carbs."

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=345303
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm no throttle plate rebushing ever... "sloppy and runs GREAT"! LOL Shocked
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that is certain failure at the smog testing station
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FI works great when it works. I'd sure try to fi it before switching to carbs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

let them remove the injection, that's where I come in- I am home to the tired, lost, poor injection parts of the world. Please send them to Bloomington where they will find a good home.
sailorkh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that ad too, and it brings up a lot of questions. Why hasn't this guy posted here before, and why try to get $40.00 bucks from fellow VW owners for just sharing information Question

Someones got some 'splanin to do Rolling Eyes
richcarl32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear the phrase [FI works great when it works] and it is true. but the fact of the matter is that when it doesnt work great, it is a major frustration for prople like me that dont have a lot of FI knowledge. Carbs are easy to people that really know carbs, and Fi is easy to people that know it. [/quote]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Nica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wouldn't leaning the mixture before going to the smog station actually make it easier to pass?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nica wrote:
Quote:

Wouldn't leaning the mixture before going to the smog station actually make it easier to pass?

No, the numbers wouldn't mean squat at that pojnt since the vehicle is not as it came from the factory. If it was F/I when it left the showroom floor, it must be F/I when it is smog tested. Any other setup is automatic failure.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that the number of posts a user has doesn't give any indication of their level of knowledge towards buses, I would say it is kind of odd he's posting a How to Book for 40 bucks when he's never even popped his head in the forum once.

I'd figure he'd at least try to promote himself with a little free advice to the forums. And 40 bucks?!? I can get the Bentley for 25 bucks!

He should at least scan and post a page or two of the so called "How To" for us to look at and check out, although its probably nothing more than a couple pages of run on sentences about tweaking your carbs Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shijima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 bucks says he sends you a bentley LOL!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Nica wrote:
Quote:

No, the numbers wouldn't mean squat at that pojnt since the vehicle is not as it came from the factory. If it was F/I when it left the showroom floor, it must be F/I when it is smog tested. Any other setup is automatic failure.

'Xactly! They will NOT even hook up your vehicle if it doesn't pass the visual inspection. You may have the cleanest ever running engine, but if it doesn't have all the smog equipment which is more detrimental to the engine than not, you will be lucky if they allow you to even drive it back! Rolling Eyes
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWBusrepairman wrote:
Glenn wrote:

let them remove the injection, that's where I come in- I am home to the tired, lost, poor injection parts of the world. Please send them to Bloomington where they will find a good home.

Get them while you can. I had a friend offer to sell a guy the complete FI system, including the computer and harness, off a FI Beetle for $50. He was using the engine for the foundation of a performance buildup.

The guy passed one it. A few months later the guys computer failed and it cost him a few hundred for a new one.

Nothing like saving for a rainy day.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Xactly! They will NOT even hook up your vehicle if it doesn't pass the visual inspection. You may have the cleanest ever running engine, but if it doesn't have all the smog equipment which is more detrimental to the engine than not, you will be lucky if they allow you to even drive it back!

Then what if he remove the carbs for the smog,then replaces them after, theres always ways to beat the system.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nica, I'm not sure that deserves an answer. Now, how is the bus going to run without the carbs? There is another part of the test, and it involves driving into the station and having an emissions testing device put in the tailpipe while the engine runs. Switch back and forth from FI to carbs? Madness, I say. Brick wall Rolling Eyes

My father put a type 4 engine into his 69 Westy after tiring of rebuilding engines. He drove 90 miles every day back and forth to work. When smog testing began to be enforced, he had to change back to a 1600 motor. Kinda took away his VW love, and he sold the Westy to the neighbor and bought a mini motorhome. Crying or Very sad
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdibus wrote:
Nica, I'm not sure that deserves an answer. Now, how is the bus going to run without the carbs? There is another part of the test, and it involves driving into the station and having an emissions testing device put in the tailpipe while the engine runs. Switch back and forth from FI to carbs? Madness, I say. Brick wall Rolling Eyes

My father put a type 4 engine into his 69 Westy after tiring of rebuilding engines. He drove 90 miles every day back and forth to work. When smog testing began to be enforced, he had to change back to a 1600 motor. Kinda took away his VW love, and he sold the Westy to the neighbor and bought a mini motorhome. Crying or Very sad

hmm, where is he located??? Calif has smog only on 76 and later I thought???
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Birdibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, NOW it is 76 and after, but THEN we had to jump through the hoops of the beauracracy with our 69 bus. Just citing an example of what can happen, I'm just not using the right year vehicle for that example.
Nica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Switch back and forth from FI to carbs? Madness, I say.

Why not?He should take the CAT out and put a older muffler too,then change it to pass the smog. Applause
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
VWBusrepairman wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Get them while you can. I had a friend offer to sell a guy the complete FI system, including the computer and harness, off a FI Beetle for $50. He was using the engine for the foundation of a performance buildup.

The guy passed one it. A few months later the guys computer failed and it cost him a few hundred for a new one.

Nothing like saving for a rainy day.

I agree with you Glenn 100%

Geno Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

built up a stash of FI parts. I have done this for years with the Djet parts for 914's which have become increasingly scarce or unobtainium.

I don't know why all these people/mechanics trash the FI for a single pos in the first place. The FI is so simple and works fantasic. The failures I have seen are where a shadetree mechanic or PO has hacked into the wiring harness or vacuum lines.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: