Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper switch
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Wiper switch Reply with quote

My wiper switch only moves to one position: slow. Shouldn't there be two speeds? I will need to remove the switch and clean/repair it. Any recommendations before I start?
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, two speeds. Remove the wiper moter too, and clean all it's contacts. Years of old grease build up with dirt, and make for poor connections, as well as dragging on the moving parts.

Talk with Kubalman on this; he's involved in some repairing of wiper motors and such.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two speed function is most often faulty as a result of problems with the brushes or their connections. Most of the time the switch either works or is worn out. If you only have one speed chances are you need parts to repair the trouble. Does your motor park?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor parks just fine. The switch itself only moves to one position (currently on or off). This makes me think the switch is faulty.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly are the "contacts" in the wiper motor-the male spade part that the wires attach to?
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing, Are you looking for this?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/295085.jpg
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first....

If the switch on your steering column moves to one positon (on) and a second postion (off) Something is wrong.... A stock (good) wiper switch has off, low and high (three postions) It also pulls to the rear to open the air valve that allows wiper fluid to spray on the windshield.

I suspect you are correct in your diagnosis of a questionable switch.

Second things second....

The contacts are part of the auto-park system. They cause the motor to stop (in conjunction wiht a number of other parts, so that when the switch is turned off the wiper blade assembly continues to travel until the wiper blades reach the bottom of the windshield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out that mud dobbers had made a home inside the switch some time ago. After picking out the dirt and re-lubing the moving parts, it works just fine.

Unfortunately, something broke inside the turn signal switch and blows a fuse everytime I turn right or turn on the hazard lights. I couldn't see where to open the switch up to investigate the problem, so I ordered a new one from the Thing Shop. I needed a new one anyway since the canceling mechanism was broken.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you found the wiper switch to be repairable. I also had a faulty turn signal switch that caused all kinds of electrical troubles and blown fuses. I hope you paid fair price from the Thing shop as this is a part that is also common to other T-1 VWs and is not a Thing only part... the Thing shop sells them for $60 and I can get them for $36 for a German made part...
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it matters, since I already ordered the switch from the Thing Shop, but what vendors would you suggest for Bug parts?

Also, it there a listing anywhere of interchangable parts? I'd like to stop paying more then I need to...

Thanks
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RoMTOC Thing Data CD includes the Thing part crossover guide. I thought you owned this one.. If not $12.50 to paypal via [email protected]
gets you the CD shipped asap....

My favorite T1 and T2 parts resource ~~ OE German
Currently: OE VeeDub has a huge sale going on.

www.oeveedub.com

This company sell the highest quality German OE VW parts for

T-1 and T-2 (No T-3 or T-4)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: