Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

got rolled....found gold
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teetime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: got rolled....found gold Reply with quote

July 1, 1976, bought a 64 bug, w/sunroof. Ran great, looked great. Bought it from an accountant for 425.00.
July 2, 1976, drove from Boston to Cape Cod with 3 friends to party hearty in honor of the Bicentennial
July 3, 1976. Went to a bar and was pretty well snockered by the time midnight, and the 4th of July, rolled by. Heard a lot of commotion outside in the street, people going wild. When I went to check it out, I was just in time to see my bug being turned over and rolled down a hill.
Needless to say, I was ticked. My "new to me" car landed on it's wheels. I walked down the grassy hill, checked out the cars busted back window, cracked windshield, mashed and bent steel. Doors would not budge, so I climbed in through back window, stuck the key in, and fired her up. I drove back up the street, and parked in the same spot, with the cheering crowd noise at a crescendo. I think I made a lot of people VW lovers that night.
When I woke the next day, and started to realize what had happened, I went out to inspect. While cleaning out glass from behind the seat, I found a dime bag of some primo smoke. Apparently that accountant wasn't as straight as he appeared.
Rode that bug with running boards wired on to her with coat hangers all weekend, and after some repairs, drove it more than 106,000 miles after that. Try that with a rice burner!

70 ghia
72 super 'vert
74 standard
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer to hear about the bug. If it were me, personally, I would have to shoot someone if I caught them rolling my car down a hill. But that might just be me. You may have gotten some smoke out of the deal, but I don't think that covers what the car is worth.
nik
teetime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to remember this Nik- it was 1976, vw's were a dime a dozen, I was 18 years old, and the bug only set me back 4 c-notes +
I think killing the guys, or even seeking them out, would have cost me so much more in the long run. Always weigh both sides of the "circumstantial scale". And like I said, I guarantee a lot of people in the crowd gained respect for the bug, not to mention being able to relate a good story. And actually, in today's market, the quality of smoke that it was probably did cover the car!! Cool Laughing

70 ghia
72 super 'vert
74 standard
LedZoSo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a dime, you sure it would cover the cost?
deadmansvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was the one that roled the bug down the hill lol just kiddin Laughing
Criswell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LedZoSo wrote:
just a dime, you sure it would cover the cost?

10 bucks worth of weed in 76 was probably about an ounce or better ... not quite worth now what he paid then , unless its shit that glows in the dark .... but honestly how can you compare then to now ... with "Big Brother" looking over your shoulder 24/7 nowadays ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: