Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vin Number
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Vin Number Reply with quote

Does the number that appear on this area supposed to match your chassis number? If so or if not,does the first digits mean or indicate production year?
Thanks. Rolling Eyes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the body number, it doesn't match the vin no.
I'm sure retrowagen has all the relevant info on body numbers Smile
What is your body number Question
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, I'm hoping to make out the numbers tomorrow. It's covered with years of crud...it appears to be four digits,not entirely sure.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pictures looks familiar.

On http://karmannghias.org/ it is sait that the number should be the body number.

Does somebody know where the number on the hood and deck lit are located?

Patrick
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front hood body number is tough to find. When you open the trunk look just to the right of the center bead. The outer skin is folded over to make the front hood. It is stamped onto the metal that is folded under.

What makes it tough is that this are can rust easy because it sits on the rubber seal. I have a picture of mine somewhere.

The engine decklid number is to the left of center on the are where the outer skin is folded under. If you are standing at the back of the car, open the deck lid, look about 5 inches to the left of center where the latch is. This area usually rusts worse than the front.

I tried to point to these areas on the sketch I made on my web site.

Since Karmann didn't need to know the VIN to make the body the two are not related. The body numbers assured that once all the fitting was done that you would get the right panels back on to the right shell.

http://karmannghias.org
Broadacus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Vin Number Reply with quote

On my 1958 Convertible, the front axle also appears to have the vin number, in large numbers, stamped into it.
Anyone else seen this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never looked for it. Where did you find it?
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the first digits of the numbers (to the original question) indicate the period of the car?
Thanks,
AL
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four digit body number does not have anything to do with the vin or year. They were, however, sequential.

My 56 Ghia has body number 3203. This makes it close to the 3203rd Ghia to roll of the line. The last three digits, 203, were then found on the doors, hood, and decklid. I don't have my records here at work but at some point the numbers tended to be all less than 1000. Covertibles had a different series it seems than coupes.

The first three years seem to be consistent and sequential.

Has anyone seen the later Ghia body numbers next to the gas tank under the VIN? I think my 73 had them and I have seen others with them. I don't know that anyone has tried to analyze these.
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On lowlights, Karmann went consecutive with its stamped body numbers up to #39,600 (29 August 1958); after that it was a three digit number. They repeated the sequence of three digit numbers a few times.

With body #39,601 (as it were), the Karmann S/N plate (adjacent to the Volkwagen AG info plate in the trunk) was discontinued as well. This was the tag that had yet another number, very close to the stamped body number but not quite the same. There's some debate as to why this number is a little off from the stamped body numbers; I don't think anyone knows with absolute certainty.
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in the hell are you going to publish your book? Thank you for your wealth of information and sharing it with us! Wink
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: early door number stamping Reply with quote

JeffL wrote:
My 56 Ghia has body number 3203. This makes it close to the 3203rd Ghia to roll of the line. The last three digits, 203, were then found on the doors, hood, and decklid. I don't have my records here at work but at some point the numbers tended to be all less than 1000. Covertibles had a different series it seems than coupes

gratuitous RS Photo Essay on a spare 56/7 door I have from a Trout Blue Coupe

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=298021
stamped 921 on the door
inspected by Inspector 20?
note Kamax bolts

outer is not Trout Blue

inner is
note early door check strap

large Sekurit logo glass, as found on 56/57 Ghias (to Sept/Oct 57, right Dave??)

just need the 55 to stick it on now Laughing
Broady, stick the pics on the CD son Wink
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a little off subject for this post, but your last picture almost shows it. Anybody know where to get this piece or the part number of what it might be? #60 below
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin Number Reply with quote

I know this is an old post. But I have a 60 Ghia, where the tag up front does not correspond to the registration paperwork. I know on buses that that stamped number on the M code data plate is usually a sequential body number, not the VIN. The cars were usually , if not always , regd with the chassis number stamped on the tunnel.

No?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vin Number Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
I know this is an old post. But I have a 60 Ghia, where the tag up front does not correspond to the registration paperwork. I know on buses that that stamped number on the M code data plate is usually a sequential body number, not the VIN. The cars were usually , if not always , regd with the chassis number stamped on the tunnel.

No?

Not quite sure what you're asking.
Ghias don't carry an "M code" plate. The only locations to carry the vin# is the ID tag on the side wall of the trunk...
and under the rear seat:

If your Vin# doesn't match the documentation of one of the locations then either body or pan have been swapped.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecabmel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin Number Reply with quote

Hi John, I don’t see one stamped on the area you highlighted
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vin Number Reply with quote

doublecabmel wrote:
Hi John, I don’t see one stamped on the area you highlighted

Which one do you mean, the one on the side wall of the trunk or the one on the tunnel under the rear seat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vin Number Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
The only locations to carry the vin# is the ID tag on the side wall of the trunk...
and under the rear seat:

Sorry to highjack (just a little). Any idea if the tag in the trunk was present for the whole run of the Ghia?

My 1969 project car didn't come with a tag on the inner fender well, but does have a tag riveted to the dash pad.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vin Number Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:
My 1969 project car didn't come with a tag on the inner fender well, but does have a tag riveted to the dash pad.

Are you sure your's is a 1969?

From the 1970 model year USA manual... same as John has described. Every Ghia up to that year is like this

From the 1971 model year USA manual.. the first year with the VIN as you describe. Every Ghia from that Year is like this.

Nicholas
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vin Number Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Chad M wrote:

Are you sure your's is a 1969?

From the 1970 model year USA manual... same as John has described. Every Ghia up to that year is like this

Nicholas

Hey Nicholas, it's a 1969 for certain, folding glass window, earlier signal lights etc.

Here's the VIN stamp on the tunnel and the tag, albeit located incorrectly on the dash? I suspect the fender tag disappeared when the previous owner dismantled the car.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: