Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The one that got away???
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: The one that got away??? Reply with quote

Ok, I think most everybody who is a vw hunter will have some sort of story similar to this one.
There is a local junkyard here that hasn't been crushed out in 15 years or so. It is also the only junkyard within an hour that has (had) any splitwindow busses...3 to be exact. One was a 59 to 61 double door panel that was filled with hubcaps. The other was a 62 or 63 15 window deluxe the other was a 59 to 61 kombi. The only bus that I couldnt get a close look at was the kombi which was up on a steep hill and surrounded by an ocean of american iron.
The old guy who owned the junkyard dies about 2 years ago. His sons who own an auto repair shop get the yard. It had been a while since I had last been there to check out the place so I stop by his sons reapir shop to ask if I can go crawl through the yard. The son tells me I could go but they just had the yard crushed out 2 damn days before I asked. After all that time I missed seeing the kombi up close by 2 days. I drive out there to see for myself, sure enough most everything is gone...everything except for some reason one of the crusher guys had a hard-on for Ford pintos, so the yard is now empty except for the random pinto here and there.
I know in all reality, the kombi was probably a rusted piece, but the thought that I'll never know what treasure could have been inside drives me nuts. Maybe an ambulance fan? A nice steering wheel? A trip speedometer? The point is that it's gone and I'll never know. And of all cars to be left behind, those damn pintos?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah same thing kinda happened to me. cept this junk yard was still active. we went to go rummage up some stuff and we asked the guy inside before we went walking around. we asked him if he had any old beetles. he says, now nothing in this yard is over 15 years old. which was bullshit cuz i saw old fords and crap. they just had to smash up that old german fine art. dumbasses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonovabiatch!
Gawdamn pintos will get ya every time.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they know something we don't, some RARE pinto parts line that we're all missing out on ? Saudi princes buying them up ??
I Did miss out on a 58 rear-no window- hatch on a panel bus when I 1st moved to N.H., 6 months after I get there this bone yard closes up , crushs everything , pintos too.......
Tom :scrambleup: :scrambleup: :scrambleup: :scrambleup:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that got away form me. I was 15 and just got my drivers license and being 15 my dad thought best that I should have my own room. So he got one of his friends and built a room adjasent to our tool room. My dad's friend had a son name Charles(jr) and we were good buddies. When it came to pay for their help my dad's friend said no thanks and what are friends for. I had an uncle who gave me an Isuzu and jr had his license but no car. My dad had another friend who owned a used car lot. So the next day my dad came home with a bug and said lets go to jr's house and give to him, so we did just that. Jr was stoked man and said thanks. Then he and his dad came to my house with the bug. His dad said thanks but he don't want jr to drive the bug because he felt that is was unsafe with the gas tank in the front if he got in an accidient. My dad said what if I took the bug and gave jr the Isuzu would that work. I said sure, jr's dad said sure so we swap. Funny thing though I used to think why was the back window so small and there's a metal post right in the middle because it makes it hard to see. And why when I turn the knob and some weird thing come out on the side and lights up as blinkers. Also why is there two things that holds the clock in one and the speedo in one also. I also thought that the bug was solid there were no rust and everything that I remember was on, even those weird looking bumpers. So I drove it for about a year then sold it for hundred bucks to buy myself a newer dirt bike. I wish I could have just one more chance at somethhing like that. Better yet I wish at 15 I knew what I had in my possession. Man did I blow it big time. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told this one back in the VW Planet forums. I bought a 67' Baja about 15 Yrs ago. It had the most horrific, big, ugly steering wheel I ever saw. So I took off that wooden wheel that said EMPI on the horn button. I thought what the hell does that mean. I tossed that bitch in favor of a cool small Foam-n-Chrome wheel. Then my swingaxle Baja was complete! I was sooo stupid! Brick wall

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
I tossed that bitch in favor of a cool small Foam-n-Chrome wheel. Then my swingaxle Baja was complete! Brick wall

foam-n-chrome wheel. lmfao!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be laughing Skim, But 15 yrs. later I'm not! Mad

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my one that got away...
About 9 or 10 years ago, not long after I moved to the land of Zion, a friend of a friend had a bullet turn signal oval for sale. It had a great running 36hp, no rust, faded red paint, and all the correct stuff. At the time I was way into type 3's and had never had a bug. I had very little interest in it even though the guy wanted $1500 for it. God, I'm an idiot!
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first was When I was 16 and still lived in durham NC there was a little old guy that had a 21 window down town by the police station. very decent looking bus. I used to knock on his door and bug him about selling it all the time, finally one day he says I'm never sellin mine but my sister just fell ill and she has one like it over in raleigh she want's to sell for $1000. The only difference is that it has windows around the back corners too. So I head out in search of the bus and find it sitting in a carport in front of a 68 bug she wants $1500 for. It's rusty in the rockers but has nos replacements and a pile of nos seals to go with it. crappy paint with duct tape covering a hole in the body. I remember it had bullets up front and later big oval shaped tail lights. I poke around the bus for a while and for some damn reason can't make up my mind to buy it or not. At the time I knew where several other window buses where that where in better shape but they where all 21's and none of them openly for sale. Anyway, by the time I figure it out an go back someone else has bought the damn thing. Stupid me. I still kick my self over that one.

The second was a 21 window walk through that sat behind a body shop in durham. right over in bright leaf square, across the street from that bar with the bug in it. It had been redone by someone but then left to sit. metalic paint but it was decent colors and in good shape except for a primer spot on the rear passenger corner. Chrome bumpers and custom seat covers but it was a very decent looking bus still. I had just wrecked my 13 window and had insurance money in my pocket when I went to ask about it, but the guy didn't want to sell because it wasn't running right and he wanted to make it run nice so he could get the most for it. Being 17 I didn't yet understand the power a fat wad of 20's had over people and never pulled out the $. Someone else did that a few weeks later and took it home. I got over that one when I got my 23, but it still sucks. That one had been sitting there since before I could drive.
http://www.oslp.org/
6d7vdub
Samba Slacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is mine. About 7 years ago when I was living in Southern Oregon, I was dating this girl who lived with her grandmother and they had a lot of land. Out on the land was this oval window ragtop. I dont recall the exact shape it was in, could have been nice, could have been rusted completely through. (I like to think of the latter.) Anyhow, this girl knows I have had a couple in the past, and wants me to just take it. It was her grandfathers that he bought new and died about 10 years previous to this relationship. I never really thought about it much, just said I couldnt. Partly because I lived with my folks still and just gave up my 68 cuz my mom thought I didnt need two cars in the driveway. Damn, what if that car was mint?? Oh well...last time I was in town her grandma sold the place and that oval was gone. Hopefully someone is doing the right thing.... Confused

Sadie's Site

http://positivepause.com
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that really got away from me was a 1 owner 65 Beetle for FREE! Back in my NON-mechanical days I was given a free OG 65 Bug in decent RUST free condition. I couldn't get it started because it had been sitting so long. Well the Old lady talked to another friend of hers and their son came down with a gas can and NEW battery. Took the carb top off and filled the Bowl with fuel. Hooked up the new Battery and fired it right up. Evil or Very Mad I ended up spending $1500 on a 71 SB and 66 Bug after that.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Double Cab under a tarp about three blocks away from my house that I looked at about 5 years ago when I first moved into the neighborhood. I looked at it and being so damn young I never had cash for it. I just drove by their place recently and noticed it is still there. I think that I need to jump on it before it is gone.

Also when I first moved to my neighborhood there was a 21-23 window for sale and I remebered that they wanted like 3500 for it. That was way too much money for my broke ass at the time. It sat there for months on end and then one day it was just gone. Wish I was a rich little kid and could have had my parents buy me the thing.
nik
busgurl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: not necessarily a classic but... Reply with quote

A few years back I went to look at an add for a 71 Westy for $900. I went and looked at it and the body is RUST FREE except minor surface rust under one front headlight. No dents, perfect floor and everything works flawlessly. (did I mention that nearly no rust on this type of a bus is nearly a miracle!?) Interior mainly original in EXCELLENT shape with few things updated to fit more current styles (curtains, and some other cosmetic things). The bus had been in storage for a few years and the gal wanted to sell because she had gotten a divorce from her famous rock climbing husband who used to own it. Oh and did I mention the engine had 10k on a really nice professionaly rebuilt engine that purred like a happy kitten!?!? I told the gal I wanted it but since it was Sunday I couldnt get the cash till the next day so I said I'd take it and that I would call the next day to arrange cash drop-off which she seemed fine with.

Call her the next day to find out that she sold it to someone with cash in hand right after me Evil or Very Mad

I believe in KARMA - someday she'll get what she deserves Laughing .. hopefully!

Abby
fifty8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they wanted to sell the Pintos as bombs, just rig up something to barely tap the back bumper and KABOOM!!! A buddy of mine told me his dad would sell me his 59 for $100. Very straight car, no rust. Had not been driven in 5 years. That was back in 88. I was just out of high school and $100 was alot of money to me back then for a car that didn't run. I wound up letting it go when I found a VERY nice 73 beetle later. I kick myself now.

Kelly
http://www.geocities.com/fruitbat1313
Dono Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an early bus in a junk yard in rural Arkansas about 2 years ago. It had a set of killer pressed bumpers on it in great shape, they could be repainted and installed!! The old dude wanted $75.00 for the pair. I didnt have any cash on me so i said I would be back in a week or so to get them. I travel the state for work and drove past here a bunch of times. As I was leaving the old dude said "someone else was here earlier today and said he was gonna get them in the morning" Yeah right, how many times have you heard that!!! Buy it now or (Maybe) the "other" guy will get them. Well, 2 weeks to the day I go by and sure as $hit...They were gone!!!! Hello, suicide hot line?!?!?!?
Benton Arkansas

Diagnosed as a Sambachodriac.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: