Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The BN4 ...need help! Relay Acquisition.....edit
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: The BN4 ...need help! Relay Acquisition.....edit Reply with quote

On edit.......I am now looking for a VW 211 963 141 relay(5 prong)...I have been told that FI buses use this relay for the FI, and that on '75 and later they are used for the stock heater blower, neither can I confirm....But i need that damn relay! anyone?
Ok, so yesterday it was the new dizzy, and horn wire repair........today it's pretty cold up here at 9500ft so I am trying to get the BN4 back in the bus and working.

I just had the heater runnning on the garage floor with a can of gas and a spare battery......(Yeah, I know, it's a bomb in the making)......In any case I believe there is a short, or an issue with the high temp overide switch that is causing it to blow the fuse.

I have searched arround the site, and even checked out type2.com, but their page on the BN4 is gone for some reason.

In many of the posts on the Samba, people refer to some guy in Colorado, (I'm in CO now) perhaps by the name JB's heater repair, and now for the question!

Does anyone here know who this guy is? or where I could find anyone that works on these things? I want the heater back in the bus, as it really kicked a$$ last winter in Montana!

peace

Last edited by 73kombi on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
BIGTSV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same page you were using?

http://manuals.type4.org/ba4/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read through that site.......but that is for a BA4 heater, and they are different.......

I would really like to find this dude in Colorado, as I am here now.

I may call Ark Mirvis (what an odd name), as he too is supposed to be some ebershacher guru.......

I want my BN4 to be working again!

peace
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you have been here?

http://66.34.72.138/gallery/section/image/2017.JPG

and http://failsure.net/oacdp/ebersp.html

Bartnik used to have a rap on it but I can get it to load from www.type2.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...that's what I need.....another internet scanned manual I can't read!

Why don't those folks re-type the info so a person can read it? ARGH!

Don't get me wrong, and thanks for the links, but I think I am ready to find a person who can make this bomb work safely, as my girlfriend REALLY likes it. Need I say more?

I am really looking for this dude in CO, perhaps JB's heater? or I will call Ark Virnis........I have an extingishure, but I don't want to use it!

peace
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after two days of trial and error,(many errors, none of which resulted in a big fire), I believe I have found the culprit! It's the Gawd damned RELAY! I finally took off the back and the one side of the dual points were kind of welded together.......Cleaned it up a bit, and she seems to be functioning quite proper.

I learned from trial, (with an ohm meter), and again some errors, (big sparks) just about what every parts function is! And for that I feel good, no I feel like Ark Mirvis! (he needs to change that one)

Now, I just need to find out if I can order a relay VW 211 963 141

I think I have seen them somewhere, but if any of you gas heater folks know, don't be shy!

peace
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it's worth all the trouble.

I had one in my brand new '73 Westy and rarely ran it cause it was loud and drained the battery.

Unless you just plan to run it while driving, I might suggest a beefed up two battery set up so you will be happy camping with it.

Good luck
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Spentzos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: BN4 relay Reply with quote

Hello,
<<Now, I just need to find out if I can order a relay VW 211 963 141 >>
I have 3 BN4s (2 are spares). I'll look through my basement for it tommorrow night after work. If I have two I'll let you know (would like a spare for myself). We could come up with some sort of little fair trade, if that's ok... take care and good luck.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be really cool! After I re-installed the cover on the Relay, she kind of went south again, and this time it appears it's dead. Sad

I found an Ebay posting from Germany ......Dude wants $16 Euro......But it's translated !!!!! Seems kind of odd that he has 5 pages of VW relays, a washing machine, and a 318I listed.....but what the fark, he's German.......Wink

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http...f%26sa%3DG

But I'd rather not have to wait for months........if you have the 5 prong VW 211 963 141 relay, I would gladly trade, beg, borrow, or just BUY one from you.

I will be checking this post tommarow........you can PM me if you would like!

peace
Spentzos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: BN4 relay Reply with quote

Hello,
Well I went through my BN4 spare parts and have 1. Would like to always have at least one spare. What I could do is just mail you the one I have (since you need it ASAP... hope it's good) and you could just mail me one when you come accross one in the junk yard some day. I think these relays are on a variety of VWs. Either way, I trust you will find one some day. Send me an e-mail at home & work. I'll mail it out when I hear from you. This site is great; I've been helped so many times in the past by this site.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Good luck.
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this holy grail relay simply a 12V relay with a N.O and N.C. spade? It seems to me you only need to know the amp rating of the switched contacts and come up with a relay that is more or less the same dimensions. Who cares what it looks like! Unless it is the one on the outside AND it is a concours restoration, the answer is? No one.
BIGTSV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this holy grail relay simply a 12V relay with a N.O and N.C. spade? It seems to me you only need to know the amp rating of the switched contacts and come up with a relay that is more or less the same dimensions. Who cares what it looks like! Unless it is the one on the outside AND it is a concours restoration, the answer is? No one.

You are correct, any relay will work, probaly could go to any auto parts store and buy a replacement relay. Check the amps and make sure yours and the replacement are the same and go from there!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the Holy Grail Step, or the "N.O. N.C. spades", but I have talked to bus boys, the thing store, and Ark Mirvis, and none of them said, "Run down to the nearest Autozone and toss in any 5 prong relay, that's the ticket". I would like to use the proper relay, as it does sit right on top of the combustion chamber. Perhaps you don't run a BN4 in your bus, and that's cool, but for Montana winters, and Colorado too, I do rely on the Ebershacher!

on edit: I would hope if it were such a comman item, that after 170 views someone would have pointed me in the direction of a cross reference. Or another application that might work.

I will send you email Spentzoz, and thanks for the gracious offer. The local VW dealer said he showed a price for one, but then he couldn't confirm inventory? Bus boys and OE VEE DUB said it's obsolete, I just want it to work.

peace

p.s. I did like your steering wheel removal tips Step........(two knees, brass dowel, and a big hammer)
BIGTSV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exaxt relay may not be available, but with your relay you have 5 prongs. 2 of those prongs get power to energize the coil, the other 3 prongs are a common( voltage coming into the relay and the other prongs are a normally open contact(No pwer going through relay) and the other is normally closed power going through the relay when no power is on the coil.

Any relay of that nature will work just fine, Bosch makes all kinds of them.

If you want heat quickly, then go to any auto parts store and ask for a Bosch 5 pin relay.

Here is a link to a Bosch vendor
http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=49
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73kombi wrote:
Don't know about the Holy Grail Step, or the "N.O. N.C. spades", but I have talked to bus boys, the thing store, and Ark Mirvis, and none of them said, "Run down to the nearest Autozone and toss in any 5 prong relay, that's the ticket". I would like to use the proper relay, as it does sit right on top of the combustion chamber. Perhaps you don't run a BN4 in your bus, and that's cool,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is an Alberta delivery bus, og BN4, alive and well. No and NC mean Normally Open and Normally Closed respectively. All a relay is, is a remotely activated switch. You can use a small amount of current to switch a large amount of current using a relay. Run the wires to turn the switch coil on and off up to the dash or wherever with small wires, instead of running huge wires to the control point. That is all a relay does. As long as it is a quality relay it will not present a fire hazard. If your goal is to get it working, not restore it, you need only find a relay of similar size that will fit in the space provided, mount without too much trouble, and offer the same switching functions as the old one. You do not need to search the ends of the earth looking for the exact same part number relay as yours, leave those for the restorers.
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step......that's one krusty looking engine compartment! And one scary looking heater! Is that even a BN4? I guess it is, but it has no fresh air ducting? So it sucks in the engine compartment air? another reason for good tin and seals! all my components are inside the cover, minus the fuel pump....and my fresh air draws in from the way back of the bus, by the outside intake!...In any case, I believe I have found a connection for a relay, and thanks for your explanation of N.O and N.C, I'll never forget!

peace

p.s it's a 7amp relay
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: