Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back Hatch Lock Broken
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Back Hatch Lock Broken Reply with quote

The door on the back of my buddies bus is broken shut. The lock used to work, but doesn't anymore and he can't get it open. The key works and can be turned fully in both directions and the button can work, but neither engage the locking mechanism inside. We can't get into the lock from the inside due to wooden paneling goes below the raised bed portion. I think we would need to cut the wood to get to the lock, which is something that would be best to avoid.

Any ideas on getting the hatch open. We've pounded, pulled and tweaked the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the wood paneling held in place by plastic fasteners all around the perimeter? Tell me what's different.

Whenever I'm at the junkyard and need to open the back I remove the paneling and with a screwdriver I unlatch it from inside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangeeyesore
Samba Bammer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... you can open it from the inside or do what i did....smack the broken handle ( hard enought to break it off and remember if at first you dont succeed try try again) with something heavy and just stick your finger in the hole to do the buttons job......i did this for a few months until i came across a parts bus with a good locking button thing on it.

As it says, who have you got as a quote in your signature line and why?
nodtobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just take the foam insert for the bed in the back out and then get to the wood paneling that way? Then access the latch from the inside. you can at least pry a little on the bottom and still get it open.. good luck anthony
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately its a catch 22 with this one. You would think you could just pry off the inside panel and get to the lock, but this camper conversion has been modified. We can't get the panel off without taking out the bed and cabinet portions, but we can't get those out unless the door is open!

Orangeeyesore, will the handle break off pretty clean if you smack it hard enough? Did it damage the body that much? I think we may have to do that, or cut into the wood paneling from the inside and replace that later.

Thanks for the input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd break through the panel before I tried smashing the handle, you can get a piece of 1/4 birch plywood at the store for a few bucks to make a replacement. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
farmersdahtr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm not there I can't see exactly how the bed is blocking the back, but if you can get the lip undone on the bottom right where the lock is, far enough to get your hand in, it's easy to unlatch. There is a lever on the left side of the lock. It should have two holes in it and is flat. Pull it back about an inch or less and the door will open. If that isn't possible I would drill a hole with a paddle type wood bit about .5" in diameter. The best way I can describe where the hole should go is like this: The two clips that hold the panel on at the bottom on either side of the lock are 8" apart. Move over from the left one 2.5"-3" now go up from the bottom of the door 1.25"-1.75". This is where the lever is located on my 78. The reason I would drill a hole is because it looks better. You may decide to leave it so you can get out from the inside. I do, it's quieter when camping and you have to enter or exit in the middle of the night. I hope that helps. BTW the LAST thing I would do is break the lock off. If anything, I would mabey drill it out, but the panel is easily replaceable if you have to destroy it. Dave
llamas1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation when I bought my bus. Because the PO had lost the key they disabled the opening mechinism so the button did nothing.

I opened it from the inside and added a bolt so when you pushed the button it would push the little latch thus opening the door.

I still don't have a key and anybody can open the door but it beats
opening from the inside intil I get a key.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are already mangling the door to try to open it in order to "save" some paneling???? Confused Paneling is cheap compared to a rear hatch. Poke a hole in there and open the door. The closing latch mechanisim can be had fairly cheaply at a wrecking yard. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: