Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

off roading?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: off roading? Reply with quote

I have driven VWs in the past in all sorts of weather, i.e., snow, ice, slush. The rear engine over the wheels is very handy. Do ya'll think a 2WD Vanagon will handle okay in sand?

I'm in OBX this week and would love to drive Pearl up the beach above Corolla. Of cours, I wouldn't like to get buried axle-deep in the sand. My Carat is an automatic. Anyone done and beach driving in a 2WD Vanagon?
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing. (My buddies have Syncros but I am too cheap/lazy to own one of those).

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let out a lot of air pressure and had no problems except once, in a patch of dry uneven sand (think of a sand dune where you just sink in). Even so, I got out of that by using two carpet strips that I keep just for that situation. You lay em under the back tires and away you go. Then move the carpet... kinda time consuming but you can get out of just about anything that way.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: off roading? Reply with quote

mordeaux wrote:
I have driven VWs in the past in all sorts of weather, i.e., snow, ice, slush. The rear engine over the wheels is very handy. Do ya'll think a 2WD Vanagon will handle okay in sand?

I'm in OBX this week and would love to drive Pearl up the beach above Corolla. Of cours, I wouldn't like to get buried axle-deep in the sand. My Carat is an automatic. Anyone done and beach driving in a 2WD Vanagon?

Don't know about a Vany, but we drove a 76 out on the beach in Hatteras and it sunk like a bolder 3 feet off the asphault Rolling Eyes. We didn't air the tires down though...or get a running head start. Took us over an hour to get it out and that wasn't even a camper.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dreaded friend from the East is correct. Heavy and narrow tires equals getting pulled out by a 4x4 in sand. A disgrace! Even our old sandrail would struggle in sand when we were running our off-road (not sand) tires. Our trusty steeds do quite well on off-road packed sand/dirt, but beach sand is another story. When questioning the path in Baja with rails or Bugs, I get out and walk ahead a ways. If I sink much in my shoes, I mean sandalias, then I know my rig will sink. If its firm (say 1" or less sinkage when walking), then its generally ok. As soon as the front starts to sink (I always push it as far as I can), then I reverse back out a bit.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeM,

Thanks, good tip.

Main reason I levelled off my van to 18.5 inches was to get as much clearance as I could reasonably attain. It has been great in camping areas and those rutted dirt roads. But, that is all packed well.

Not beach or dune sand, for sure. Now I have no intentions of any beach runs, but can check out a questionable dessert spot now.

Thanks,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Mad-Max
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not try it...

heres mine stuck

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad-Max wrote:
i would not try it...

heres mine stuck

There they are! I remember those photos from a post a while back. perfect example...unfortunately Rolling Eyes

We were fortunate enough to have 2 empty cases of Heineken in the van which we collapsed and shoved under the tires. Well, almost empty. We killed the last few while pushing the van out. Twisted Evil
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in this position again, pull your hand brake on HALF-way. It semi-locks the two drive axles, forcing them to pull equally. So rather than one wheel spinning away, both are pulling together. We came across a van just as stuck as yours, and the moment we did this, it stood up and walked out of the hole by itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got our Westy stuck in soft dry sand at Henlopen State Park on the Delaware coast (which I highly recommend; much nicer beach than Rehoboth just to the north). Our beautiful, private, corner campsite would have been so much more perfect(?) if we could have gotten a little bit more into the corner. Oops. A French couple from the next site over helped push us out. The best part was when he said, "Did you--[turning to his wife]how you say 'dégonflez?'" Lesson learned: stay out of the sand. Or at least dégonflez.
vwKind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not try it. im very familiar with that section of Corolla and the sand is deep in places, especially right at the end of the paved road. id be very surprised if you got more than 100ft in before getting stuck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it...
Buses/Vanagons are great on the rough (BBRSP--if you don't know where it is I'm not telling you Twisted Evil ) but do like firm footing. (Mud or sand) + heavy bus/relatively skinny tires * lack of traction control = owner looking for help. [/i]

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you're in this position again, pull your hand brake on HALF-way. It semi-locks the two drive axles, forcing them to pull equally. So rather than one wheel spinning away, both are pulling together. "

Great tip.

I wouldn't try this on the beach without deflating to about 15 psi but I have actually seen a Cadillac on the beach at Corolla, motoring along nicely. I think it depends on the actual beach conditions and some very careful driving of course.
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Van is a 2wd basicly a Carat like Mordeux and Mad Max, however I do alot of trail riding on my mountain bike, camping and occasionally hit the beaches (Florida) so I felt the need to "lift" it with a set of westy springs and a set of BFGs. I have not had a problem yet with getting stuck, I think the "elevation" helps the most for undulating trail heads and stump clearance. I will def. drive with more confidence knowing the handbrake trick though. Wink

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like mordeaux says, deflating the tires is also a "must". It make a HUGE difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe in a Syncro??

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsombrero1 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. (My buddies have Syncros but I am too cheap/lazy to own one of those).

Syncros get stuck too w/o locking diffs. Heck I even got stuck in loose sand with both front and rear lockers engaged. I forgot to air down and be gentle with the throttle.

There doesn't to be much hope to the auto trans guys. However, the 2wd guys can add a rear locker or limited slip. The locking diff is a little more trouble due to associated plumbing for actuator. The Peloquin limited slip diff as offered by guys like Daryl Christensen at aatransaxle.com seems an economical solution which would be great even for road use. Just try that in a locking diff equipped van and you will see what I mean. You can't use the locker except in slow-mo in slippery situations.

I'm not affiliated with Daryl nor do I have the Peloquin. Just thought it was a nice compromise solution. I wonder if it will fit autos?

BenT
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Limited slipp diff (LSD) Reply with quote

Has anybody tried a limited slip diff? I'm having the tranny done soon. Was contemplating that new one (in hot vws a few months ago) or a quaife.

any thoughts? 2wd is better than 1wd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Has anybody tried a limited slip diff? I'm having the tranny done soon. Was contemplating that new one (in hot vws a few months ago) or a quaife."

There are no new limited-slip differentials available for the Vanagon that I'm aware of. There are a few old & used 091 ZFs around, but these are not particularly strong. Was it an ad for the Peloquin diff?

Just because a vendor calls it a "limited-slip", doesn't mean that it is. There's a huge difference:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=238566

For the record, the Quaife is a torque-biasing diff, and that's what they call it. They don't refer to their diff as a "limited-slip" anywhere. The Peloquin diff, although called a "limited-slip", is not.... it's a torque-biasing diff. The Peloquin torque-biasing diff is of much higher quality than the Quaife unit. No question which of the two I'd buy, if that's what I was after.

I think the torque-biasing diff would work pretty darn well in sand, where both rear tires are evenly planted on the ground. But in irregular off-road terrain, you're better off with a Syncro type locker than anything else presently available.

I realize this doesn't do anybody any good right now, but as a VW hobbyist and Syncro nut, I intend to have some true limited-slips with full locking option made some time in the future. A limited-slip in the rear, along with Peloquin's torque-biasing diff in front is (to me) the ultimate combination for street stability and driving in the snow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: