Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why aren't Ovals worth anything?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57Stock wrote:
im just happy to be in the oval family my 1957 is being restored

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are you around Sac area? There is always one just like that parked at a VW repair shop (employee's car?) on Auburn Blvd. Very nice oval! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1953-55 Ovals are still commanding high dollar figures

Does this mean ALL 1953-1955 bugs? My bug is a June '55 car, so would being a later '55 model do anything to the price? Also, what about cars with updated powerplants? My oval is going to be a resto-mod daily driver sort of car, with a stock body/interior as well as original wheels/height. It'll have a 1600cc dual port engine though, as well as front disk brakes (on stock spindles) and a 12V conversion (all for safety/convienience). It's got the 1955 pan (not lowered) and I'll keep the drums, so it will all be reversible if desired. Would this affect the value at all?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55type1 wrote:
Quote:
1953-55 Ovals are still commanding high dollar figures

Does this mean ALL 1953-1955 bugs? My bug is a June '55 car, so would being a later '55 model do anything to the price? what about cars with updated powerplants? ...as well as front disk brakes and a 12V conversion....Would this affect the value at all?

Keep it stock & as close to original as possible if you plan on recieving top dollar in this current market. Matching numbers (engine, body & pan) are the key to get the most dollars.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
57Stock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great comments.
I live in Michigan The pictures were taken at Way Out Salvage
Keeping the oval mostly stock as far as looks. I decided on a single port 1600 electronic ignition, Alternator, its been converted to 12 volt. Transmission is typical of a 68 model The body work and Paint are going back to original black and interior I have tons of pictures working on setting up a site the pans on this car have been replaced and coated with pleanty of por-15. This car has been off of the road collecting rust and dirt for about 20-30 years I have owned it for about a 1 1/2 years now
bugzey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also put a 57 up for sale a while ago...Orignal Arizona RUST FREE Bug!! never hit, all orignal parts, etc. The biggest offer I got was $3700 from a guy in Florida. I said the hell with it, I'll keep it!

Crapy ovals with rust and body damage from back east are going for $2500-$3500..I don't get it?

I guess poeple like doing body work and replacing rusted out panels if they get the bug cheap enough! Why would anyone want a straight rust free oval to start with as a base restoration or cal bug...sure the rust free bug cost more money..but it needs less work!

Just my 2 cents...
.......(........)
.....(o\_!_/o)
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugzey wrote:
I guess poeple like doing body work and replacing rusted out panels if they get the bug cheap enough! Why would anyone want a straight rust free oval to start with as a base restoration or cal bug...sure the rust free bug cost more money..but it needs less work!

That's human nature. People think a rusted out car at a cheap price can actually save them money during restoration. When in actuality, it would cost 50-75% more in time and money. Always buy the most complete & rust free car you can afford.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
bugzey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I live in "rust free" Arizona....Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.......

Home of a 1000 planes! I guess the government is right sometimes?
.......(........)
.....(o\_!_/o)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: