Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prepairing to start a 77 after sitting for 12yrs
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Prepairing to start a 77 after sitting for 12yrs Reply with quote

A friend and vw mech w 30 yrs exp. says I need to pull all the fuel injection stuff.After sitting for so long it will be too gummed up to use,the fuel pump will be toast too.
Once I get this part done I can get to the gas tank w/o having to drop the motor. I need to pull the gas tank and take it to a local shop that specialize in restoring fuel tanks $40.oo to clean and pressure test, if it leaks they can put some kind of rino lining shit in there to reseal it for another $60.oo
Back to the engine.My buddy says I should go w a Weber Progressive setup. I've got the spacers,pipes, boots,and manifold,but no carb.What I do have is a set of rebuilt Weber 40 IDFs set up off my 74Panel. I have to pinch off a bunch of the smog stuff,get rid of the cat etc.(Tex.baby no smog after 20yrs) I know I have a boatload o crap to do once I get it running,tranny,CVs, bearings, brakes, BLA BLA BLA.So what do you think am I off to a good start? This is my first 2ltr.Looks like my 1.8 w alot of extra wires and hoses!
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Bus Starting Reply with quote

We purchased a '79 Westy that had been in storage for 10 years. I spun the pulley to make sure it wasn't seized up and checked the oil. Both were ok. Put a battery in and two gallons of gas. Engine cranked 4 or 5 times and fired up. Backed it out of the garage and onto the tow dolly. Towed it home and started it up to back it into my garage (after a couple of spins around the neighborhood...).

Gave it a full tune-up, changed the oil and put in a tank of fresh gas. No problems yet to report. I've als changed most of the cloth braided vacuum hoses and the engine seal. I still haven't changed the fuel filter, but I will next week.

Try running it before you pull everything out and change it - you might get lucky.

Good luck!!!
Very Happy
Kirk
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fellow I bought it from said he got it running w starter fluid but the fuel pump was dead. The pics he sent showed the bus sitting in the dirt w no gas cap. You should have seen the wasp nest in the pass side air scoop took up HALF the scoop! I guess they bailed during the trip from Cal. No the tanks gotta come out god nows whats in there.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately do the tank.
If you can get it done locally, go for it. I couldn't and used the POR kit with success.

As for the Weber, I ain't gonna touch that. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
brent lehr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 77 that had been sitting for about 6 years. Put a new battery in, checked the ignition system, connected a few hoses and she fired right up. Just drain the tank, check the fuel lines and see what happens.
play_it_leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation with my ‘77.

After about 6 years of sitting I finally had the resources to get my bus up and running. After figuring out what was wrong with it (disintegrated valve guide) and having the heads rebuilt, I needed to address the rest of the engine to prepare it to run. You may not want to, or man not be able to afford to go as far as I did but here is the process I went through.

removed all the fuel lines.
removed the injectors and had them reconditioned at Cruzin Performance (WORTH IT!)
I think this step is key because the injectors are most likely gummed up, or clogged, and the O-ring are probably shot.

I replaced all the fuel lines with high grade FI line and proper clamps all around.

I pulled the fuel tank and luckily it was pristine. It required no restoration and had no rust. I only hope you are this lucky. If not, you know what to do.

I replaced all the vacuum hoses, and repaired, fabricated, or used alternate hoses for the ones that are hard to find, or NLA.

Also new wires, plugs, cap, cond., points, rotor, etc.

I guess you could do more or less, but I would stick with the FI set up.

Good Luck!
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the F.I.stuff off and boxed it up. I got the tank out w/o having to no more than take the bolts out of the engine mounts to gain that inch more clearence. The tank was BONE DRY and lightly rusty. The sender has some white crusty stuff on it , I dont think its any good anymore?I decided to crank the engine by hand, wont budge.Tomorrow I'll pull the engine(not what I planned on) and see if I can get Keifernet to look it over.
typetwojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine offered me a rusty bug if i helped him weld floors in a different bug. I would have helped anyways but the floor turned into brakes then i helped strip and sand and paint etc...
anyways when i got the rusty bug I checked the oil turned the motor over by hand afew times. Put in a new battery. hooked a soda bottle full of gas to the carb and started the motor with no problems. the bug hasn't been started for more than ten years.
try to start it with the littlest amount of work before you try to adapt it to some other carb. system.
jim
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your fuel injection is truly toast, run away from the single carb idea. Use the dual 40 IDFs. It'll run better and cost less. You already own the IDF setup, why buy another carb?

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drained the oil (almost 3qts.) didnt smell burnt, pulled the motor today.I had to use visegrips on a couple of the heat tin screws to loosen um up. SOMETHING WAS LIVING IN THE FAN HOUSING. Long gone but quite the nest.I don't have an engine stand so I'll flip the motor over pull the rest of the tin. Next off with the heads and hope its just the pistions and sleeves that are froze. After spending time under the bus(who ever came up w that tranny mount should be shot) seeing how clean everything this may be a 43k bus. Seller stated the og owner parked it when the fuel pump went out in 93.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: