Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Problems
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Window Problems Reply with quote

I am trying to make a east coast rust bucket into a daily driver. I am not concerned with being original. Most of the pop out windows have broken spoons, rusted glass frames and broken hinges. Can I convert these to stationary windows by removing the frames and hinges from body and then just buying the seals for stationary windows? If not, has anyone ever cut these from plexiglass? What are the exact measurements for stationary glass? Thanks
timbo777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popouts and fixed windows have glass of DIFFERENT sizes. I think that the normal fixed seals will not make a good fit with popout glass
mrlimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Window Problems Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
I am trying to make a east coast rust bucket into a daily driver. I am not concerned with being original. Most of the pop out windows have broken spoons, rusted glass frames and broken hinges. Can I convert these to stationary windows by removing the frames and hinges from body and then just buying the seals for stationary windows? If not, has anyone ever cut these from plexiglass? What are the exact measurements for stationary glass? Thanks

I can't imagine the window opening would change for pop outs and stationary windows. I would think once you remove all the popout related stuff, you should be able to slide stationary windows in with new seals.

Shamless plug: I'm converting my 67 Kombi to a camper and have four windows you can have cheap. Let me know.
'01 Jetta Honey's car
Looking for a Vanagon weekender or Escorial green camper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider having at least two pop outs for ventilation. With all stationary glass, the only movable windows being the front door sliders, you might wind up with a stale air hot box. Kind of a convection oven. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrlimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
You might want to consider having at least two pop outs for ventilation. With all stationary glass, the only movable windows being the front door sliders, you might wind up with a stale air hot box. Kind of a convection oven. Just a thought.

Good point.
My kombi only had the two rear most windows with pop outs and I'm keeping those. The four other windows are stationary.
I'm going to put jaulous windows in the two driverside holes for now. Next year I may do the side doors. Since I keep the cargo doors open most of the time I'm camping, I may only need the two on the left side.
'01 Jetta Honey's car
Looking for a Vanagon weekender or Escorial green camper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Problems Reply with quote

mrlimbo wrote:
vwsteve wrote:

I can't imagine the window opening would change for pop outs and stationary windows. I would think once you remove all the popout related stuff, you should be able to slide stationary windows in with new seals.

Shamless plug: I'm converting my 67 Kombi to a camper and have four windows you can have cheap. Let me know.

Try and imagine as thats exactly what is going on there. It makes sense if you really think about it.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: